Gibson Logo dimensions?

Highnumbers

Reaction score
What is the length (in inches or Cm's) of a '59 style Gibson logo?

Did they change over time? Basically, I'm building a gibson replica (can't afford a Gibson, of course). I ordered some decals from England, but the Gibson looks tiny, like way small.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,
-Collin

Highnumbers

Reaction score
Bump! Please, if anybody could just post the measurement, I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,
-Collin

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
No offense, but any measurements that resulted in copyright infringement would implicate the person who gave you the data.

I'd take a tape measure to your local guitar store and measure for yourself.

Why not put your own name on the headstock?

Cheers!

BB

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No offense, but any measurements that resulted in copyright infringement would implicate the person who gave you the data.

Cheers!

BB

Sorry, b-squared, but I don't see the big deal in answering this guy's question. And if Gibson wants to drag me into court for being an accessory to...whatever...that's ok with me.

Collin, the logo is 1 17/32 inches wide...just a hair over 1 1/2 inches.

BTW, here's a little trick you can do with that decal. Buy yourself a blank piece of mother of pearl a little wider than the decal (it shouldn't cost much more than $7 - $10. You can then inlay this blank into the headstock as is, or cut out a shape roughly like the Gibson logo, but a bit larger (and with much less detail). Then put the decal on the MOP and shoot the whole headstock with black lacquer. In about 20 - 30 minutes, carefully peel off the decal, and you're left with what looks just like a MOP Gibson logo! (don't tell anybody where you heard this from, though)

Frank

Highnumbers

Reaction score
Thanks Frank! That's exactly what I needed- cheers!

BB- I'm not selling the guitar, nor intending to sell the guitar. Gibson made a huge deal about the Copy issue back in the early 80's when they realized that most of what they were building was crap, especially at their prices, compared to what the Japanese were building for 1/10th the price.

Gibson's now are great, but to me...not $4500 great...as a student, I'm much happier with my Japanese copy (Edwards). Then again, if Gibson made an affordable Burst type LP ($1000 ish), of the same quality as the Edwards, I'd be all over it..but I refuse to buy a Studio or whatever is in that price range simply because it's a Gibson.

The logo change is simply so I don't get asked stupid questions when I play a gig ("what the heck is an Edwards..." etc..). It's not a Gibson, but it's exactly what Gibson should be making..

Cheers,
-Collin

Gene_M

Reaction score
No worries, no offense meant or taken.

Cheers!

BB
I realise this is an old post, but since I know about copyright law I wanted to set the misconception straight. I can assure you that simplly supplying a dimension would not constitute copyright infringement, and it no way would implicate the provider if the original poster was to infringe on Gibson’s copyright. The dimension could be used for legitimate purposes.

In fact and for instance, I Builth a ‘59 Les Paul style guitar for my son, and I put his name on the headstock, but it was too big. I searched here for the very question that Colin asked, so I could order a smaller decal.
BB

Latest Threads