Gibson Les Pauls in the 90's

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Y'all's" got some REAL BEUATs!!!! :wow: I've been wanting to play in this thread for some time, so here's mine. It's a 1990 Standard I bought used (sold as a "museum piece"--I HATE when sellers over represent condition--and for a premium price) BUT, for 25 years old it IS in TREMENDOUS shape and I REALLY like the feel and I think it's a keeper--Now watch someone say it's a fake and CRUSH me :laugh2:\\

Attachments

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
This.

I've got a '96 Epi LP Standard Plus Top Honeyburst that is a really nice axe.

that looks exactly like my old 96 Epi Les Paul, they don't make them like they used to at all!

I am always looking for a good deal on a 90s-early 2000s les paul because of the quality!

Nop

Reaction score
"Y'all's" got some REAL BEUATs!!!! :wow: I've been wanting to play in this thread for some time, so here's mine. It's a 1990 Standard I bought used (sold as a "museum piece"--I HATE when sellers over represent condition--and for a premium price) BUT, for 25 years old it IS in TREMENDOUS shape and I REALLY like the feel and I think it's a keeper--Now watch someone say it's a fake and CRUSH me :laugh2:\\

[

Sorry but... It's a fake...

:rofl: No she is a beauty, and she really reminds me mine (1991).

Ouchz

Reaction score
This is my Yamano picked 1993 Les Paul Classic Premium/Plus. This is the only Gibson I have but she sure sounds amazing and plays well. I've not tried the other 90s Gibson but I've tried a 2012 R9, 2013 & 2014 traditional and standard as well as the LPJ, LPM, Studios and Tribute. This is a cut above the rest. However, there was a particular Tibute Humbucker LP that was really a great value for the money.

Oh well, on to the picture:

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah well I know the argument.. There is no best year.. There are good and bad from every year.. Yes I know that.. But my 92 Les Pauls was a great guitar in the year 92.

skysc

Reaction score
Yeah well I know the argument.. There is no best year.. There are good and bad from every year.. Yes I know that.. But my 92 Les Pauls was a great guitar in the year 92.
Agree that the 90'S were nice ... i had a Ebony 1994 LP Standard ... but i didnt like the 59 round neck profile .. was too chunky .. i flipped it for a 2001 honeyburst LP standard with a 59's slim taper profile . Both were great guitars

Finnaly HOneyburst wasnt my cup of tea for color and i flipped it for a 2012 standard , assymetrical 60's neck ..

i prefer the 2012 to the 2 previous ( 2001 and 1994 ) but the 1994 had the best craftmanship ..

BUt since i cant find any defect on my 2012 standard .. i cant say that the quality has been down .

Thats for LP STANDARD ... the studio is another world ... the 90's studios were better quality than the grenadillo 2012 studios that feel rough and poor craftmanship.

if i had under 1000 for a les paul , it would be a 90's studio .. but since i dont like chunky neck profile .. i probably wouldnt get one .

90's studio were great

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
After finding my latest High End Replica I don't see myself every buying another Gibson ever.. In fact, I don't see myself ever buying another production guitar ever.. And I mean that. It's custom hand built or nothing for me.. I mean it.. They are that much better. And not all that much more expensive either.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I just traded a cheap Marshall g100rcd 100 watt head and a Marshall slanted cab for a pretty nice '94 LP studio (and another g30r cd 30 watt marshall combo) yesterday .
It has some wear but nothing that really is worth mentioning and sounds amazing .
Only thing that I can tell that isn't orginal is it is a wine or cherry color with a white pickgaurd and white speed knobs (all the others I find are black) but I actually kinda like the contrast.
That being said I'm trying to learn more about these guitars since I'm not a guitar player , actually been playing bass since I was a little kid and never even considered buying a les paul because for the money id rather add another Warwick to my collection but when offered the trade couldn't possibly turn it down.
Before this guitar I mainly had cheap pawnshop jacksons and esp ECT just to kinda record EXTREMELY ruff guitar parts just to given the guys I was jamming with a general idea of what I was thinking when I wrote baselines .
But this guitar makes me want to play , makes me want to hear it and makes me want to actually learn more than power chords .
I'm extremely happy with pretty much everything about it , and it puts a smile on my face knowing that my friends that actually play guitar are extremely jealous of what basically fell in my lap yesterday lol.
But if anyone has anymore information and or tips about this guitar I would love to hear them as I plan to keep this one and possibly pass it on to my daughter since she is showing an intrest in music at a very early age and I want to properly take care of it.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I don't feel my studio has that "chunky Gibson neck" everyone always talks about , but then again I do play bass and have a preference for 5 strings , bit it is ecery bit as heavy as one of my basses .
And I think its mainly why the guy traded it to me .
He also has a 70 sg , and a 72 sg double neck that was amazing.

GearHo

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my 94 goldtop, I also used to own a 93 which was my first historic.

I would put this guitar up against anything, regardless of the year. My newer, more better than last year excursion, led me right back to the nineties and 80's.

Regardless of the ever changing "improvements" over the years, this guitar and my 82 anniversary goldtop are the most played of my les pauls. I cant hear the hide glue,, the absence of a condom on the truss rod, nor the nitro finish. I can hear the squeal of unpotted pickups, and the cash register ringing over every new pickup winder, and 50;s wiring harness that you have to use to upgrade your 5k guitar.

And in most cases, after you run that bad boy through your pedal board, into your computer, or out your nose, you probably in all honesty cant hear these specific things and what level of improvement they bring.

Every guitar should be judge on its own, including vintage. Even some of them are tone donkeys whether its admitted often or not.

Gibson makes great guitars, they are better at it than ever, but each guitar stands alone regardless of the slow drip of upgrades that the company markets to us year after year.

At the price points of new Gibsons, there should be no room for error in your choices. Grab a guitar online, or at your local shop, and see if THAT guitar does it for you, but the year will be secondary to you if it sounds good.

Let us not believe the sales chant of the "good wood " years, that ended in 1959.

motterpaul

Reaction score
I was just reading this thread and thought I would put in an update to the other GearPage thread referenced earlier because the link did not work for me. It really is a good read with some posts from a Gibson employee discussing the 1988 - 1995 era at the factory. The updated link is:

I have a '93 Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst - all original except for an upgrade to 500k volume pots, and I had a fret job where we took out the nibs and ran the frets edge to edge on the fretboard. 490r 498t Pickups. PM me if interested.

front side.jpg full body.jpg hardware.jpg headstock2.jpg knobs2.jpg neck pickup cavity.jpg pickup bridge .jpg pickup neck .jpg pickup switch.jpg pickups2.jpg refret receipt.jpg serial number.jpg side shot.jpg wiring.jpg

Last edited:

Oddball667

Reaction score
Im really loving my new LP and Marshall , I think I've confirmed it to be a all original 94 accept the pickgaurd and knobs and strap locks .
This guitar can growl , but also sounds crystal clear through the clean channel .
Only instrument ive ever owned I didnt want to change anything on other than a 96 warwick fortress one 5 string I owned (close second was a conklin)

craigeymac

Reaction score
90s Les Pauls are great, ive played a few and they were all good. I have a 95 custom and it's great, but im selling it because i want a V lol misses says can't have 3 customs so the least desirable colour wise goes lol
flame.jpg

Oddball667

Reaction score
Sweet LP! :thumb:

Does your '96 serial # start with an S or an I? I feel my '94 is a little better constructed than my '99 but the '99 was my first guitar so I have a special connection with that one...
Ok i have questions mine is supposed to be a 94. Bur the serial number starts with 90? No I or anything just 90..
Did I get screwed on a fake lp?

Latest Threads