Gibson Les Pauls in the 90's

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes it was.... also changed the serial format which stuck until early 2019... now it’s back to the format we’re talking about now.
AT LEAST Desert Star serialization is easier to decipher :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Theres my headstock , definitely don't think its an anniversary model .
The only indication was the serial format in 1994....,, there was no specific features or models that “celebrated” the 100th anniversary..... just the serial number.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I think there was some sort of mix up as the first five of mine are 90863, wich from what I've read and told makes it a 93 made on the 86th day of that year and just a basic studio , but still a cool guitar and probably worth way more than my Marshall was brand new.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think there was some sort of mix up as the first five of mine are 90863, wich from what I've read and told makes it a 93 made on the 86th day of that year and just a basic studio , but still a cool guitar and probably worth way more than my Marshall was brand new.
Yeah it’s common when someone buys a guitar that may be brand new though it’s a year old.... the original owner may have purchased it in 1994, and without knowing how to date said instrument assumed it’s ‘94 because it was new.

A common mistake..... guitars don’t expire in the store like milk... so they can be around brand new for a long time in a store.

Or if you’re like me,... so damn old my brain misfires every now and then... hard to remember what weekday Christmas fell on in 1975.:rofl:....little alone when I bought some of my guitars over 20 years ago.

Last edited:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s common when someone buys a guitar that may be brand new though it’s a year old.... the original owner may have purchased it in 1994, and without knowing how to date said instrument assumed it’s ‘94 because it was new.

A common mistake..... guitars don’t expire in the store like milk... so they can be around brand new for a long time in a store.

Or if you’re like me,... so damn old my brain misfires every now and then... hard to remember what weekday Christmas fell on in 1975.:rofl:....little alone when I bought some of my guitars over 20 years ago.
Better a brain misfire, than...

SOMETHING ELSE misfire...

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
I especially love 90s Lesters. Has to be because my First was a '95. I like the wide binding in the cutaway that started during the Norlin era; I wish they still did it

1603071851277.jpeg

IMG_2121.JPG

2 pics of "wide cutaway binding"

IMG_1553.JPG

My Dearly Departed '95 Standard

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

My 1990 Standard

IMG_3101.JPG

My 1991 Custom (with Grandma's Hand-Made Quilt)

SL5 and 91 Custom.jpg

'91 Custom with SL-5. WOWSERS

Oddball667

Reaction score
Idk , I actually feel lucky I got this 90's LP over his 70's sg

BKS

Reaction score
I have 4 nineties Gibson. Till now these are still my favorites. 3 les pauls and a superstrat.

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
I have a '94 Standard, but it's had a lot of work. I never bonded with the 490/498 pickups, and the frets were too low. I have a pair of Zhangbuckers in there now and had it re-fretted with Stewmac #149. That's .046" tall by .103 wide. Some cosmetic stuff too - reflector knobs, blank truss rod cover, and a switch tip. That's my go-to guitar now.

Funny story on the serial number. I bought the guitar back in '99 as a listed as a '96 model. It's down in the basement, so I'll have to look at the whole number to get it right, but it's something like 94086XXXX. It wasn't until a few years later than I learned the Gibson SN convention from that era, and thought, "OK, even *I* know there aren't 408 days in a year! WTF?" I think it was Gibson themselves who told name that in 94, the SN started with 94, and wasn't YDDDY etc.

I thought I was totally cool and owned a "secret guitar" for a while...

Here's a picture from a bit ago before reflector knobs.

PS; #zombiethread :p

LP94.jpg

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a '94 Standard, but it's had a lot of work. I never bonded with the 490/498 pickups, and the frets were too low. I have a pair of Zhangbuckers in there now and had it re-fretted with Stewmac #149. That's .046" tall by .103 wide. Some cosmetic stuff too - reflector knobs, blank truss rod cover, and a switch tip. That's my go-to guitar now.

Funny story on the serial number. I bought the guitar back in '99 as a listed as a '96 model. It's down in the basement, so I'll have to look at the whole number to get it right, but it's something like 94086XXXX. It wasn't until a few years later than I learned the Gibson SN convention from that era, and thought, "OK, even *I* know there aren't 408 days in a year! WTF?" I think it was Gibson themselves who told name that in 94, the SN started with 94, and wasn't YDDDY etc.

View attachment 494966
That is sweet.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score

View attachment 494966
BAD ASSSS!!!

I didn't know about the 94 prefix until @mudface schooled me a couple of days ago.

DAMN, Yours is S W E E T!!!!

Oddball667

Reaction score
So are other models such as exployers and v's also good from this era ?
And been gassing over the voodoos

Latest Threads