Gibson Les Paul With a Poly Coat, Has It Been Done?

Led747

Reaction score
Afternoon all!
Let me start out by saying, never, ever, ever, would I refinish my LP-C whit polyurethane, but when doing my research for my purchase, I came across a lot of higher end clones with poly finishes (Edwards, etc.). It made me wonder if for whatever reason, especially to avoiding checking, yellowing and durability, if anyone knows of any examples of Gibson Les Pauls that have a poly finish? I'd love to see how they turn out.
Again, not modifying any of my guitars, just got a curiosity itch that needs scratching. (If anything, I might get my old Epi refinished with nitro)
Thanks everyone.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
At the end of ‘90 they produced a bunch of Les Paul special and studio, with polyester resin finish, which is not poly, but also not nitro. Was called Sans Lacquer (SL) model. It’s a weird story, as I have seen couple of those guitars with checking...so we’ll never know for sure.

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately.
I bought a '16 Gibson LP Standard HP a while back. It was my first (and probably last) online guitar purchase. It was listed at a GC in another state.
It caught my eye because it had been listed as refinished in "Gecko Burst", but with a little bit of simple research I determined that it was actually "Dragonburst".
When I got the guitar, I quickly realized that it was poly. I kept telling myself "no way would someone do that", but it was really bothering me. I did a lacquer thinner test on the overspray in the cavity (along with my own '17 Standard T), and while the finish on the '17 quickly melted - it rolled off the '16 HP like water. I was bummed. That test 100% confirmed that it was poly. I returned it to my local GC without any problem, and I mentioned the fact that it was actually a poly finish.
Well... a few days later it was right back up on the site with the same exact description. Someone purchased it for the same price that I paid (it should have been hundreds less). I feel really bad for them, but who knows... maybe they are a fan of poly.
On a side note, I learned that the guitar had been refinished by Simms Customs - and as you can imagine, I was glad to be rid of it after reading about that guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: tzd

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Theres a guy with a recent thread about a 1983 lp refinished in Welches/Grimace purple poly. He had a hard time getting that junk off I recall.

judson

Reaction score
Theres a guy with a recent thread about a 1983 lp refinished in Welches/Grimace purple poly. He had a hard time getting that junk off I recall.
yes it was brutal to remove but it was not a factory finish...factory was a light blue and a prior owner did the poly.....i like your perfect description of that ugly color..:yesway: :p

Reactions: Who

lpfan1980

Reaction score
yes it was brutal to remove but it was not a factory finish...factory was a light blue and a prior owner did the poly.....i like your perfect description of that ugly color..:yesway: :p
Sorry guy forgot your name but remembered the purple poly and yeah it was refinished !!! WHY? im not against poly most of my guitars are..but WHY/

Led747

Reaction score
That finish actually work really well on the SG.
Thanks everyone else for the replies. I wonder if anyone has done it to a classic cherry burst, or some other "back in the day" style finish.

moreles

Reaction score
Back to the OP: The SL is the only model I know of on which Gibson -- not refinishers -- used poly. I'm guessing it was a test to see how they would be accepted by the public. Since poly ranges in use from the thick garbage used on many older Epis to thin finishes (catalyzed) used by some high-end builders, it's hard to generalize. The owner-refinishers generally use paint-store poly, which is thick, honey-like stuff that they rareley manage to apply in thin coats. The end result is garbage. Tru-Oil, which I dislike greatly, is said to be mostly a wipe-on poly, rather than an oil, and I'm guessing that it's far better than sprayed or brushed poly in terms low low build and good feel. Modern lacquers aren't all that great anymore, either.

smk506

Reaction score
Another of those MIJ ones showed up this morning! This one is a standard. I think it's weird though how the truss rod adjusts at the bottom of the FB.

View attachment 398507

I like the heel end truss rod adjustment. I think it makes a lot of sense to leave the headstock area as solid as possible, especially on one piece Gibson style necks.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
I don’t remember but I do own a 1990 Flying V that was very difficult to buff with a cutting compound as the finish is very hard, certainly nothing like Nitro. It was as difficult to buff as a modern Epiphone or Fender. Buffed it to remove scratches because it wasn’t the easily repairable nitro.

My best guess was it is polyester.

It’s a tobacco burst which I assume transcended into all Gibsons at this time or would that be very incorrect to assume?

Great guitar which I whip out once in a while to play with.