Gibson Les Paul Traditional question

dk2429

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for all the replies!

I just went to Guitar Center and played a bunch of different Les Paul’s. I’ve come to conclusion that I know for sure I MUCH prefer the thicker 50’s style neck over the thinner neck. It’s just hard to find a Traditional like this one locally that I can get a feel for before throwing money, so I’m trying to get as close as I can. They have a lot of the new Traditional Pro V guitars but I’m sure those have no comparison to the Traditional I’m after

I’m still really on edge about the 2 piece board after seeing this thread and more research. Again, It’s not resale I’m concerned about, it’s just the concern about how well it would hold up quality wise years down the road of being toured constantly and played on a regular basis. It’s a shame because I like the color, and I know I LOVE the classic 57s.

There’s also a few 2015 Traditionals I have my eye on. I’ve heard they have wider necks than usual.. how do these compared to a standard 50s neck?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
There’s also a few 2015 Traditionals I have my eye on. I’ve heard they have wider necks than usual.. how do these compared to a standard 50s neck?

Night and day. The 2015 neck is noticeably wider and feels nothing like the Traditional neck of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, and so forth. Not to mention the 2015 has a brass nut which alters the sound a little.

dk2429

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help guys

I informed the owner about this dilemma, which he was unaware about. However, he was still not willing to drop the price much. Oh well, search shall proceed

Gonna go check this one out tomorrow. It's local to me so I can get a feel for the wider 2015 neck. Seller claimed he would do $1900 cash in person. So I'll see what happens. I may not like it. If it does go through, the first thing that's happening is deleting those retarded tuners and putting on Gibson Deluxe's. I HATE the "Les Paul 100" logo... But I LOVEEEEEEEE the Ocean Blue finishes!!!!!!!

I'm also not too sure about the 59 Tribute pups that these have. I know I have deep love for classic 57's.. Not sure how they'd compare to the 59 Tributes though. I enjoy the 498T in my studio. I play rhythm guitar pop punk through a Marshall half stack 90% of the time on the lead channel. I've heard the 59T pups are really low output so it might not be my thing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.01.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.01.13 PM.png
    624.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.01.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.01.26 PM.png
    491.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.01.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.01.35 PM.png
    420.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.01.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.01.46 PM.png
    727.9 KB · Views: 17

dk2429

Reaction score

dk2429

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the guitar I originally posted would weigh? 2012 Traditional. I found stuff online about how the body weighs like 6lbs but I’m curious of the weight of the whole guitars

And do these have the thicker 50s style neck?

integra evan

Reaction score
I had a 2012 Traditional. Wine red. Nice guitar. Swiss cheese weight relief style, but still weighed 9.5 pounds. Bought it here for $1550 shipped. Sold it for same amount (I think)

dk2429

Reaction score
I had a 2012 Traditional. Wine red. Nice guitar. Swiss cheese weight relief style, but still weighed 9.5 pounds. Bought it here for $1550 shipped. Sold it for same amount (I think)

I'm gonna give it a few days and offer him $1500 for it (asking $1800). Deep down I really want it because I like it color, it has the neck I like, and it has my favorite pups. But at the same time, I'm not paying $1800 knowing that it's not worth that much

As I said in my original post, I'm not worried about resale because I'll never sell it. I just know that realisticly I should be able to get it for $1500, $1600 tops. Maybe it is worth $1800 because of the supposedly rare Chicago blue color?

Zoli77

Reaction score
I'm gonna give it a few days and offer him $1500 for it (asking $1800). Deep down I really want it because I like it color, it has the neck I like, and it has my favorite pups. But at the same time, I'm not paying $1800 knowing that it's not worth that much

As I said in my original post, I'm not worried about resale because I'll never sell it. I just know that realisticly I should be able to get it for $1500, $1600 tops. Maybe it is worth $1800 because of the supposedly rare Chicago blue color?
I wouldn’t worry about the laminated boards, I’m sure it will be okay, I had a 2012 and it was great and I did like the 57 classics in it.
You have to calculate that since the pandemic the prices have gone up and though reverb has some les Paul traditional around 1600-1700 that is a rare color and 1800 is not too much, there are a bunch for 2200 on reverb also. So if that’s the guitar you want 1800 is not a terrible price, especially with that flame top. I think 1500 is low for a les Paul really.
Good luck on deciding

dk2429

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about the laminated boards, I’m sure it will be okay, I had a 2012 and it was great and I did like the 57 classics in it.
You have to calculate that since the pandemic the prices have gone up and though reverb has some les Paul traditional around 1600-1700 that is a rare color and 1800 is not too much, there are a bunch for 2200 on reverb also. So if that’s the guitar you want 1800 is not a terrible price, especially with that flame top. I think 1500 is low for a les Paul really.
Good luck on deciding

That's exactly what I'm kinda thinking. I think the color has to do with the higher value of it, because Chicago blue is hard to find. There's literally ONE on Reverb that is a 2013 that has some dings and dents in it for $2200.

Also, I'm not too worried about the 2 piece board anymore. I spent a good part of my day yesterday calling guitar luthiers all over the country and discussing the topic. Every single one of them said there is no issue with them, and people simply make a big deal out of it because it's not something Gibson had done before. Some of them had told me they've successfully done re frets on them without incident, and the owners didn't even know they had 2 piece boards, nor did they care.

I'm going to sleep on it again and try to come to a consensus

dk2429

Reaction score
Not to complicate things, but you might want to take a gander at the 2017 Traditional.

They did some changes that year, and I believe still left the 50's style neck on it.

Also, non-weight relieved, if that makes a difference to you. Here are the main features:

View attachment 551571
If I could find one in blueberry burst id be in!

integra evan

Reaction score

I bought a 2011 Traditional in Chicago Blue for $1200. Sold it for $1350. Stunning color in person.

kewl kat

Reaction score
Sometimes it is not easy to see beyond it, but you are not playing a color.

I've personally never bought a guitar for that reason, and after a while of owning and playing whatever is in the case becomes your own. I wouldn't sell yourself short of the possibility of owning something that could really be a much better and better playing guitar, simply because of getting transfixed on a specific color. Maybe if it was a '57 GoldTop (reissue) or something with a history, but otherwise...

Best of luck whatever you decide. :fingersx:

wmachine

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for all the replies!

I just went to Guitar Center and played a bunch of different Les Paul’s. I’ve come to conclusion that I know for sure I MUCH prefer the thicker 50’s style neck over the thinner neck. It’s just hard to find a Traditional like this one locally that I can get a feel for before throwing money, so I’m trying to get as close as I can. They have a lot of the new Traditional Pro V guitars but I’m sure those have no comparison to the Traditional I’m after

I’m still really on edge about the 2 piece board after seeing this thread and more research. Again, It’s not resale I’m concerned about, it’s just the concern about how well it would hold up quality wise years down the road of being toured constantly and played on a regular basis. It’s a shame because I like the color, and I know I LOVE the classic 57s.

Night and day. The 2015 neck is noticeably wider and feels nothing like the Traditional neck of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, and so forth. Not to mention the 2015 has a brass nut which alters the sound a little.

If you want massive, it doesn't get any better than a 2015 Traditional. An outstanding year that got lost in all the forum whimpering about cosmetic nonsense. The chunkiest neck maybe ever? Not only wider, but the largest of profiles. Coupled with a non-weight relieved body, it makes one impressive mass of wood. Mine sings unplugged. And they '59 Tribute pups are absolutely outstanding coupled with the hand wired electronics. This one does exactly what a LP should do. The brass nut has often been replaced with a titanium one supplied free by Gibson, like I did. Or they make drop in tusk replacements if that suits you better. There is no down-side there. Comes with other upgrades too like titanium saddles and real MOP inlays and a thicker fretboard. Auto tuners are easy enough to replace if you don't like them. That is supposed to be an "A" top, but.........

AM-JKLWMu5QfZ2od0LjJK7FVynNN77TWGCCTWt8EVHhuUIlStgWxjuYiVEAiNZU3JL3o_fRTn8_2YHmmd46buBq1s_-7IxBLWse7voneM2Z_wQgETZ4mm2g7WlimqlEWMiXZMIntfoG0cCQQcokxFLedJysU=w394-h700-no

Latest Threads