Gibson Les Paul Traditional question

dk2429

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a blue burst standard or traditional Les Paul.

I have the oppurtunity to buy this one for $1800. 2012 Traditional, Chicago blue, classic 57's (which I know I love.) Owner claims in mint condition, free of any cosmetic issues.

So I have a few questions about this guitar as I'm not too familiar with the higher end Gibson electrics (I've always played Studios and Tributes.)

-I keep hearing about how in 2012, Gibson changed something on the fretboard from their typical design.. Something about lamination or something. Not too sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'd like to hear from anyone that knows about that what they think

-$1800? Is that a fair price? I was thinking of offering $1500 but if he's firm on price, how is $1800 for this guitar?

-I've yet to get a clear answer on this... Are the traditional LP's the higher end model, or is the standard the higher end model? All I've found is "it's all about what you like." Yes.... correct... But from a standpoint of the line of Gibson guitars, which one is higher up the spectrum?

I've never played a traditional like this, and I don't know anywhere/anyone that owns one for me to get my hands on. I do know from fingering around on various LP's from guitar center that I do prefer a heavier guitar.. I played a standard 50's that weighed in at 9lbs and loved it to the point where I kinda wish it weighed more. I also like the thicker neck that it had. From my understanding, the tradtional guitars are the nice and heavy tree trunk LP's. I guess really my biggest concern with this deal is thing about the fretboard.

Just wondering about a general consensus on what y'all think about this deal. I asked around about it on some facebook groups, just wanting to get some more input.

I should also add I don't care about about resale value down the road. Two things I never sell, and that's guitars and guns. If I bought this one, it would be mine and mine only.

Attachments

Cjsinla

Reaction score
The 2012 Trads have weight relief, doesn’t mean you can’t find a heavy one. In 2012, Gibson was raided and their rosewood was seized. They did use some laminated fretboards around that time. The only way to tell is to pull the nut and look at the end, not a quick thing to do. $1800 might be a little high. I bought one in iced tea before the pandemic for about $1600.

tzd

Reaction score
-I've yet to get a clear answer on this... Are the traditional LP's the higher end model, or is the standard the higher end model? All I've found is "it's all about what you like." Yes.... correct... But from a standpoint of the line of Gibson guitars, which one is higher up the spectrum?
In 2008, Gibson decided to make the 'Standard' model their modern flagship product, incorporating a lot of non-traditional changes - chambered body, asymmetrical neck, PCB wiring etc.

So they introduced the 'Traditional' model that retains what the Standard model used to be before 2008.

So it's not about which is more higher end, it's just about different specs.

There is a great website put together by one of our members documenting all the variants of the Traditional model that has been introduced since 2008:

dk2429

Reaction score
The 2012 Trads have weight relief, doesn’t mean you can’t find a heavy one. In 2012, Gibson was raided and their rosewood was seized. They did use some laminated fretboards around that time. The only way to tell is to pull the nut and look at the end, not a quick thing to do. $1800 might be a little high. I bought one in iced tea before the pandemic for about $1600.
So does having a laminated fretboard make it unfavorable?

dk2429

Reaction score
In 2008, Gibson decided to make the 'Standard' model their modern flagship product, incorporating a lot of non-traditional changes - chambered body, asymmetrical neck, PCB wiring etc.

So they introduced the 'Traditional' model that retains what the Standard model used to be before 2008.

So it's not about which is more higher end, it's just about different specs.

There is a great website put together by one of our members documenting all the variants of the Traditional model that has been introduced since 2008:

Thank you very much! I'll check it out

Cjsinla

Reaction score
To some people but it’s not an issue if you’re never going to sell it. It’s not obvious if a guitar has one as the binding and the nut hide everything. I don’t even know if my 2012 has a laminated board or not.

tzd

Reaction score
-I keep hearing about how in 2012, Gibson changed something on the fretboard from their typical design.. Something about lamination or something. Not too sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'd like to hear from anyone that knows about that what they think
Here's a post showing the laminated 2-layer fingerboard:

In 2011 Gibson's factory got raided over illegally sourced rosewood and ebony and their wood supply was seized. One way Gibson got around the rosewood ban was to use double-layered rosewood, because apparently if they added labor to the rosewood by laminating two layers together, the wood legally is no longer raw wood that can be banned, but a product of wood that they can use. (The previous sentence is probably not the precise legal description but that was the general idea).

dk2429

Reaction score
Here's a post showing the laminated 2-layer fingerboard:

In 2011 Gibson's factory got raided over illegally sourced rosewood and ebony and their wood supply was seized. One way Gibson got around the rosewood ban was to use double-layered rosewood, because apparently if they added labor to the rosewood by laminating two layers together, the wood legally is no longer raw wood that can be banned, but a product of wood that they can use. (The previous sentence is probably not the precise legal description but that was the general idea).
So if that's the case, wouldn't that mean that all Gibsons after 2012 also have laminated fretboards so they stay legal?

ARandall

Reaction score
Some find it undesirable, based on perceived notion that multiple pieces are undesirable. But they're typically the ones that are the least knowledgeable about the relevant issues, and simply do 'the empty can rattles the most' thing.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I believe the Standard was priced slightly higher and the 2 pc board makes it less desirable. Good luck!

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than $1600. The fretboard may make it less desirable, but from a practical standpoint it's fine and does not affect quality.

JMP

Reaction score
Traditionals are outstanding guitars in general. I agree with what others have said here. $1500-$1600 is a fair price.

AJK1

Reaction score

I have the oppurtunity to buy this one for $1800. 2012 Traditional, Chicago blue, classic 57's (which I know I love.) Owner claims in mint condition, free of any cosmetic issues.

So I have a few questions about this guitar as I'm not too familiar with the higher end Gibson electrics (I've always played Studios and Tributes.)

-$1800? Is that a fair price? I was thinking of offering $1500 but if he's firm on price, how is $1800 for this guitar?

I've never played a traditional like this, and I don't know anywhere/anyone that owns one for me to get my hands on. I do know from fingering around on various LP's from guitar center that I do prefer a heavier guitar.. I played a standard 50's that weighed in at 9lbs and loved it to the point where I kinda wish it weighed more. I also like the thicker neck that it had. From my understanding, the tradtional guitars are the nice and heavy tree trunk LP's. I guess really my biggest concern with this deal is thing about the fretboard.

Just wondering about a general consensus on what y'all think about this deal. I asked around about it on some facebook groups, just wanting to get some more input.

I should also add I don't care about about resale value down the road. Two things I never sell, and that's guitars and guns. If I bought this one, it would be mine and mine only.
So, like, what if the seller sees and reads this post ?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Traditional is on equal ground as the Standard.....todays “‘50s Standard” is the Traditional...and...the Standard with all the switching, modern weight relief/chambering and locking hardware is today’s “Modern”.

It’s just a choice of old Standard or modern Standard with different names.

I have a 2011 Traditional and two Trad-Pros.... one is a 2011 P90 GT and the other is 2012 Humbucker model.

The Traditional has the chunky neck compared to the Pros.... the Pros by Guitar Center specs have slim taper neck unless they have a ‘50s spec.

All are as good as any Standard I ever owned and as good as my Historics... I wouldn’t say they every Trad is great,... you just have to play a few to find one.

Last edited:

Sinster

Reaction score
There are a few ways to tell if it's laminated. One has been suggested already about removing the nut or it delames.

Those who cry is less desirable are the ones who don't mind the laminated body. Les Paul for the most part Mahogany body and Maple/Mahogany etc. Then there the two piece tops on top of a two piece body, again for the most part.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traditionals are great guitars! I love mine.
The guys already got everything covered.

I was under the impression the 2012 laminate rosewood fingerboards were used in RIs and such.

Don’t Traditionals from that era have baked maple freatboard instead?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traditionals are great guitars! I love mine.
The guys already got everything covered.

I was under the impression the 2012 laminate rosewood fingerboards were used in RIs and such.

Don’t Traditionals from that era have baked maple freatboard instead?
No the Trads got rosewood but the funny thing that I was told and turns out to be true..... is that the Guitar Center spec Trad Pro of 2012 has a one piece Rosewood fretboard as requested by their order to Gibson under contract and Gibson honored that spec.

Only the Traditionals of 2012 got the bi-layered fretboard.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No the Trads got rosewood but the funny thing that I was told and turns out to be true..... is that the Guitar Center spec Trad Pro of 2012 has a one piece Rosewood fretboard as requested by their order to Gibson under contract and Gibson honored that spec.

Only the Traditionals of 2012 got the bi-layered fretboard.
That's interesting! Thanks for clearing that up!

Colnago1

Reaction score
I have the same model, color and year of guitar. I really like it. I’ve had it for almost a year now, paid just under $1200USD for mine.
I also have a 2006 Standard and a 2016 Traditional.
The three of them feel and play nearly identical. The only visual difference is the the 120th anniversary inlay at the twelfth fret.
Awesome guitars, nice big neck that fills my hand and feels great.
See if you can’t get him down below $1500USD.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't stress over a laminated board from 2012, it's really no big deal and you would have never known unless someone on facebook hadn't told you, Probably just to sound like a know it all. 1800 for that is fair.

Latest Threads