Gibson Les Paul Traditional or Epiphone Elitist Les Paul

Veritas0Aequitas

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting another LP and I'm trying to decide whether to get a Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2011 or 2012) in Ebony or an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul in Ebony. The price range will be about the same with the Gibson being a few hundred dollars more.

I know I'm posting in the Gibson forum asking vs an Epiphone but what does MLP say and why? I'm mainly looking for answers on quality, feel, and tone.

Thanks!

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Judging from the guitars in your sig it seems like that's a question we ought to be asking you :)

LocoTex

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
The Elitist LPs are really good. But the only way i would make that my choice is if it played and sounded better than the Gibson.

Assault Bacon

Reaction score
If it feels and plays better than the Gibson, nothing wrong with the Epi. Saying that, I'm very fond of that stretch of Gibson Traditionals (2011 - 2013) and I would personally lean heavily that way.

anorton

Reaction score
Not much to offer, but I see you’ve made your decision. For what it’s worth, I’ve bonded with my Traditional like no other guitar I’ve played or own.

moreles

Reaction score
Any point to adding one more personal opinion favoring the Traditional, hands down? Probably not. For what it's worth, they're both really good guitars, IMO, but I think the Traditional is better, and for some reason I really, really dislike the "Elitist" model name. Elitist? Really? Elite has an OK meaning, but "Elitist" pretty much means "snob."

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Any point to adding one more personal opinion favoring the Traditional, hands down? Probably not. For what it's worth, they're both really good guitars, IMO, but I think the Traditional is better, and for some reason I really, really dislike the "Elitist" model name. Elitist? Really? Elite has an OK meaning, but "Elitist" pretty much means "snob."
They were originally called Elite, for some reason they changed the name to Elitist some years ago. Never heard why.
Al

Veritas0Aequitas

Reaction score
They were originally called Elite, for some reason they changed the name to Elitist some years ago. Never heard why.
Al
I believe it was because Ovation had an "Elite" line and maybe even a copyright on it. So Gibson had to change it.

All in all... If anyone has a 2014 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Traditional with a nice flame top they'd like to sell me, i'd very much appreciate it

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Not much to offer, but I see you’ve made your decision. For what it’s worth, I’ve bonded with my Traditional like no other guitar I’ve played or own.
If the difference is so small in price get the Gibson or save a couple hundred and get the Epi if it sounds good btw i like both headstocks but thats just me.

nagha

Reaction score
I really really REALLY love my Gibson Standards (2003 and 2012). I've put a bone nut on the 2003 and changed it to 50s wiring. The 2012 is stock. Both are amazing guitars.

I also really really REALLY love my Epi LP Black Beauty... but when I purchased it, I never intended to keep it stock. Everything except the tuner has been replaced and I'm about to have a Floyd Rose installed in it.

Your mileage may vary... but I love Epis for a very specific reason. I don't fear changing them.