Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2019

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I would place poor stringing technique above saddles. Like you stated, the nut is definitely the main culprit. :)
Agreed.

But that's not on the guitar maker or faulty parts... that's just good old-fashioned user error. :)

ryeburst

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2018 Traditional and during my search I played a 2016 Traditional and a couple of 2019 Traditionals..

I found that the I preferred the Brustbuckers (2018/19) to the 57 Classics (2016). I also found the neck profile on the 2016 to be comfortable. It is a rounded 50s neck. However, I did like the the 2018 neck profile the best . My guitar had a measurement of .85/1st and .99/12th for neck thickness. I found the 2019s to mostly have a slightly thicker neck, however there were some that were as slim and as comfortable to the 2018.

I found the 2019s to have a nicer flame, more AAA grade compared to the AA flame on the 2018s. I also like the aged volume/tpne knobs on the 2019s over the bright gold on the 2018s. Other than that they are identical guitars.

In my view if you can find a 2019 Traditional with end of life discounts, you can save yourself money over a 50s Standard. It also has the advantage of not having a pick guard installed and AAA flame tops. It should also have a slimmer neck to the 50s standard which seem to have necks in the .87-.89 and .98 -1.0 range.

I had to return my 2018 Traditional as it had a wobbly tuning peg and bent saddle screws.

Reactions: Jer

danzego

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2018 Traditional and during my search I played a 2016 Traditional and a couple of 2019 Traditionals..

I found that the I preferred the Brustbuckers (2018/19) to the 57 Classics (2016). I also found the neck profile on the 2016 to be comfortable. It is a rounded 50s neck. However, I did like the the 2018 neck profile the best . My guitar had a measurement of .85/1st and .99/12th for neck thickness. I found the 2019s to mostly have a slightly thicker neck, however there were some that were as slim and as comfortable to the 2018.

I found the 2019s to have a nicer flame, more AAA grade compared to the AA flame on the 2018s. I also like the aged volume/tpne knobs on the 2019s over the bright gold on the 2018s. Other than that they are identical guitars.

In my view if you can find a 2019 Traditional with end of life discounts, you can save yourself money over a 50s Standard. It also has the advantage of not having a pick guard installed and AAA flame tops. It should also have a slimmer neck to the 50s standard which seem to have necks in the .87-.89 and .98 -1.0 range.

I had to return my 2018 Traditional as it had a wobbly tuning peg and bent saddle screws.
I don’t know, man.....I have a 2019 Traditional and a 50s Standard. Got to give the nod to the 50s Standard neck. It’s SO nice!

The neck measurements for mine are:
2019 Traditional .825- .97
50s Standard .88- 1.0

What I really like about it isn’t the size so much as the shape. My Standard’s neck is more rounded, whereas the Traditional somewhat resembles a 60s neck that’s slightly flatter. My Traditional feels great, but the Standard is next level.

They tend to go for the same price new these days, btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer

bluefrog

Reaction score
I also have a Traditional 2019 Tobacco !
great player and stays in tune no problem!. Unfortunately it is rare used as
style and band changed since last year.

tabano

Reaction score
I was able to A/B my Trad alongside a Tokai LS360 and LS390.
Im closing in on either the Tokai LS390/360 or Navigator N-LP-480.

may I ask how the trad. compared to the tokais tone wise ?
I guess there should be quite a step between them..
I know navigators are killer, I have played a couple but I am really curious about the new tokais..

ryeburst

Reaction score
may I ask how the trad. compared to the tokais tone wise ?
I guess there should be quite a step between them..
I know navigators are killer, I have played a couple but I am really curious about the new tokais..
I’d start by saying that tone is subjective and personal preference.
Now, I’d say that the high end Tokai were in a different league in terms of tone, materials and craftsmanship.

The LS390 had 2 piece Honduran mahogany, AAA Eastern flamed maple, Madagascar rosewood fretboard, Montreux VitaminQs caps (.022),500KCTS pots, Long tenon and ABR bridge. It was very light at 3.6kgs

The LS360 had upgraded woods with 1 piece Honduran mahogany,AAAA Eastern flamed maple, Brazilian rosewood fretboard (pre convention) 500KCTS pots, Orange drop caps(.022), Long tenon and ABR bridge, weighed 4.1 kgs.

Tone wise, I think the Traditional sounds great on its own, I actually like the BB1 and BB2 pick ups. It just sounds like a classic LP. The real difference is the volume and sustain both plugged and unplugged. The Tokais were just louder, like an LP on steroids.

On the same Amp with the same gain and volume, The Tokais were louder and the amp would start to break up with out being muddy, and then you could dial the volume down on the guitar and it would clean up nice and still be at a useable volume. I think the best way to describe it is you could achieve the same sound on a Traditional but with a Overdrive.

It also tried an R0 and 2 different 60th anniversary R9s. One of the R9s was impressive indeed. On par with the Tokai in terms of volume and tone, but at more than double the price of the Tokai. It was hard to justify for me. I will say that I also wasn’t really sold on the relic treatment, but I kinda liked the VOS look.

The 390 had amazing sustain and nice overtones and harmonics. But the LS360 had a fuller richer sound overall, more midrange, and was slightly louder.

It was hard to seperate the 2 Tokais, in the end the upgraded 360 was just a monster of a guitar, so I took her home!

Now I’m tempted to A/B the Tokai with some of the R9s currently floating around...
Ive also purchased some NOS Russian K40Y-9 caps in .015 and .022. Waiting for them to arrive and look forward to comparing them to the Orange drops.

Last edited:

tabano

Reaction score
Th
I’d start by saying that tone is subjective and personal preference.
Now, I’d say that the high end Tokai were in a different league in terms of tone, materials and craftsmanship.

The LS390 had 2 piece Honduran mahogany, AAA Eastern flamed maple, Madagascar rosewood fretboard, Montreux VitaminQs caps (.022),500KCTS pots, Long tenon and ABR bridge. It was very light at 3.6kgs

The LS360 had upgraded woods with 1 piece Honduran mahogany,AAAA Eastern flamed maple, Brazilian rosewood fretboard (pre convention) 500KCTS pots, Orange drop caps(.022), Long tenon and ABR bridge, weighed 4.1 kgs.

Tone wise, I think the Traditional sounds great on its own, I actually like the BB1 and BB2 pick ups. It just sounds like a classic LP. The real difference is the volume and sustain both plugged and unplugged. The Tokais were just louder, like an LP on steroids.

On the same Amp with the same gain and volume, The Tokais were louder and the amp would start to break up with out being muddy, and then you could dial the volume down on the guitar and it would clean up nice and still be at a useable volume. I think the best way to describe it is you could achieve the same sound on a Traditional but with a Overdrive.

It also tried an R0 and 2 different 60th anniversary R9s. One of the R9s was impressive indeed. On par with the Tokai in terms of volume and tone, but at more than double the price of the Tokai. It was hard to justify for me. I will say that I also wasn’t really sold on the relic treatment, but I kinda liked the VOS look.

The 390 had amazing sustain and nice overtones and harmonics. But the LS360 had a fuller richer sound overall, more midrange, and was slightly louder.

It was hard to seperate the 2 Tokais, in the end the upgraded 360 was just a monster of a guitar, so I took her home!

Now I’m tempted to A/B the Tokai with some of the R9s currently floating around...
Ive also purchased some NOS Russian K40Y-9 caps in .015 and .022. Waiting for them to arrive and look forward to comparing them to the Orange drops.
Thank you very much for such a detailed post man!
this really helps me and kind of confirms my very few findings.. and fears!
again very appreciated!

Last edited:

ryeburst

Reaction score
Th

Thank you very much for such a detailed post man!
this really helps me and kind of confirms my very few findings.. and fears!
again very appreciated!
No worries tabano. Are you worried that you wont like the Traditional ? Because that may not be the case. They are good LPs, provided you find one that has acceptable QC.

However, the Reissues and Highend Japanese LPs are a step up in quality, playability and sound/tone.

tabano

Reaction score
No worries tabano. Are you worried that you wont like the Traditional ? Because that may not be the case. They are good LPs, provided you find one that has acceptable QC.

However, the Reissues and Highend Japanese LPs are a step up in quality, playability and sound/tone.
No, not really worried, as long as I can try out the Gibson it’s fine..
on the other hand I would be definitely less concerned if I decide to go for an equivalent Japanese without trying,
so far I’ve had the chance to a/b a 2014 traditional against an ls 160 ( now the ls 185 I think and the ls was better built but the traditional sounded a bit better to my ears,
anyway,..I am not in a rush,,,
Thanks again!

drpietrzak

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Traditional. I believe it has the same tuners you describe. I have had those tuners on several guitars. Never had any tuner issues with any of them. The nut slots pinch a bit in many cases on the open strings as the come from the factory. A touch with a nut file and it is good to go for me. I have a 2014 SG Standard that had the eTune on it. A large part of why that didn't work right was the poorly cut nut.

As it seems like we need pictures if we are going to talk about guitars I will add mine.

2019-06-28 14.49.58.jpg

ryeburst

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Traditional. I believe it has the same tuners you describe. I have had those tuners on several guitars. Never had any tuner issues with any of them. The nut slots pinch a bit in many cases on the open strings as the come from the factory. A touch with a nut file and it is good to go for me. I have a 2014 SG Standard that had the eTune on it. A large part of why that didn't work right was the poorly cut nut.

As it seems like we need pictures if we are going to talk about guitars I will add mine.

View attachment 405388
They were Gibson Delux, and I do think they are generally good tuners. The one on my G string had a bent post, so clearly not indicative of normal functionality. With the bent post, the G string would get pulled side to side and make the binding issue worse.

The saddle screws were also bent, probably from when they tapped the saddle with a rubber mallet to make a starter notch. The notches were also very shallow on my saddles, so much so that I think they contributed to the tuning stability.

Small things, which I would be interested to see if these have been improved with the new Original collection.

Since you asked, here’s a few photos of ‘Godzilla’.

Attachments

ryeburst

Reaction score

View attachment 405388
Gorgeous top. love the upward chevrons! She's a beauty.

Jason Svenska

Reaction score
Hello, I'm only 5 minutes new to this forum!
I recently purchased a beautiful 2019 Heritage Cherry Sunburst Trad LP. Came out of the box tuned! I bought it at a discounted sum due to a "blemish" (over $1,900/under 2k). It's my first Gibson. It's stunning to look at and plays really well. I am here to learn more about what it is I have as far as non-sentimental value....specs state only that the fingerboard is "rosewood", nothing more specific than that...Brazilian Rosewood perhaps? This guitar was made this past February. Are these going to appreciate in value, or because Gibson's been doing some really questionable things these past 10 years will these just become as lame as Firebirds? lol....My point is, what is it I really have here? something purged out of the factory in an attempt to maximize profits, or do I really have a work of pride in my hands? Is this particular model fashioned with a '58 in mind (that's really what I was after). Was going to get the tribute, but don't care for push/pull knobs. I just wanted to get something as close to a '58 as I possibly could, and this seemed to be the best option...the next level above Traditionals would be the Custom shop, right?
Sorry for the long post, but I'm eager to find all I can from knowledgeable people.
Thank you.

Attachments

anorton

Reaction score
Hello, I'm only 5 minutes new to this forum!
I recently purchased a beautiful 2019 Heritage Cherry Sunburst Trad LP. Came out of the box tuned! I bought it at a discounted sum due to a "blemish" (over $1,900/under 2k). It's my first Gibson. It's stunning to look at and plays really well. I am here to learn more about what it is I have as far as non-sentimental value....specs state only that the fingerboard is "rosewood", nothing more specific than that...Brazilian Rosewood perhaps? This guitar was made this past February. Are these going to appreciate in value, or because Gibson's been doing some really questionable things these past 10 years will these just become as lame as Firebirds? lol....My point is, what is it I really have here? something purged out of the factory in an attempt to maximize profits, or do I really have a work of pride in my hands? Is this particular model fashioned with a '58 in mind (that's really what I was after). Was going to get the tribute, but don't care for push/pull knobs. I just wanted to get something as close to a '58 as I possibly could, and this seemed to be the best option...the next level above Traditionals would be the Custom shop, right?
Sorry for the long post, but I'm eager to find all I can from knowledgeable people.
Thank you.
The 2019 Traditionals are great guitars. As far as Brazilian rosewood Goes, I don’t think Gibson has used it on any model since the early 2000s. Not sure what kind of Rosewood they’re using now. Here’s a nice comparison of all the years the Traditional was in existence:

Congratulations on your new Trad! I love mine, which is also a 2019.