Gibson Les Paul "T-Top's"

Bertrand

Reaction score
Hello guys! ;)

So i'm in need of your help please, i can't decide. I'm planning on getting my 80's Les Paul Standard back to stock.
The previous owner apparently managed to put some Seymour Duncan's Pickup on it, so i'm actually looking for a pair of 80's T-tops. (Which it is quiet hard to find!)

The actual pickups on my LP.

I'm asking you because i found those on Ebay, will they fit on my vintage restoration project? What's your opinion about that? :)

Here is the pickup for sale on Ebay are they legit?

Thank you for your help and have a nice day! :dude: ;)

Bertrand

Reaction score
@Bobby Mahogany Sorry i forget to mention this, anyway it's not very descriptive... :confused: Obviously the guy didn't seems to really know what he is selling

Here is the texte on this item

Okay i didn't know thank you for the informations, i'll wait for more anwsers to make a decision then. :)

Bertrand

Reaction score
@Bobby Mahogany Ah okay (sorry i'm not native English so) i though that 80's meant only the year "1980" ahah anyway. Thanks for the correction! :D
So he doesn't seems to know the exact year okay.

Nice photo! That's exactly that kind of pickups i'm looking for. :rolleyes:
I had this one in my list as well are they better?

Don't worry it's nice to respond anyway! ;)

grumphh

Reaction score
Keep the Seymours in there.

Remember, Seymour Duncan (and Dimarzio) got rich because of Gibsons T-tops.

Just because something is old ("vintage") or "original" it doesn't mean it is better than what followed...

Oh, wait, you said "80's T-tops" - well, that would narrow down the possibilities as they were phased out very early in the 80's so there aren't that many around ...

Bertrand

Reaction score
@grumphh I understand what you mean but after all that's a matter of personnal choice.

And even if i get the originals T-tops back in place and decide that it sounds bad i can always rewire the Seymour Duncan so. Nothing is fixed forever after all. :)

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
only if your guitar is early to mid 1980 will it have T-tops (as a general rule) after that until 87 or so, it will be Shaw humbuckers.

neither of those had the GUSA logo...those are the 490 series, I would think.

the ones you posted from June 1980 could very well be T-tops OR Shaws, you would need to look at other factors to determine.

what is the serial number on your guitar, that will narrow down what was stock.

Bertrand

Reaction score
Okay well my guitar is apparently from 1980, the serial number is "83440514". Thanks for the info!

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay well my guitar is apparently from 1980, the serial number is "83440514". Thanks for the info!
That is very late 1980 (December).... the possibility of Shaw’s being original to that guitar are very likely.

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score

ARandall

Reaction score
Yep, that guitar would have been fitted with shaws 100%, as the neck was stamped in mid December - and that is before any finishing parts of the process. It more than likely shipped out to stores in mid 81.

The latest stamped t-tops I've seen are June, but even then they were filtering in Shaw features. I have 1 pickup from this transition period that has 1 shaw bobbin and 1 T-top bobbin. I'd swear they are wound like that too....the Shaw bobbin has the penny copper coloured wire too.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
does the T-top bobbin have the same wire (I honestly do not remember)?

I have seen many cases of 1 and 1 (T-top and Shaw in the same guitar from the factory).

these guys nailed it for you Bertrand.....

if you are patient, you can find a set of T-tops at reasonable price.......

if I were going to do aftermarket clones, Rewind is who I would use.

I have heard good things about Brandonwound, but have never actually had any hands on experience with them.

Bertrand

Reaction score
@northernguitarguy Indeed! I checked on Ebay & Reverb both are crazy like 300$ for both... :eek: And thanks for the informations i'll remember it. :yesway:

@mudface Really? Okay thanks! :)

@NorlinBlackBeauty Nice thanks i'll wait for his answer then. :yesway: Nice guitar you have! :)

@ARandall Oh so Tim Shaws pickups? Okay i'll stick to it. Thanks very much full of details! That validates what i've seen so far on Ebay and Reverb, for example i found a "1980 Tim Shaw" stamped "Jul 22 1980" and all of the T-Tops are previous to this month so.Thanks. ;)

@HardCore Troubadour Hmm interesting, so maybe like @ARandall said up there it was during that time of transition?

Yes don't worry i'm not in a hurry i'll wait for the best offer. :fingersx:
Thanks anyway for the informations that's good to know! :)

ARandall

Reaction score
That era 'Tim Shaw' could equally be a T-top.

The guaranteed Shaws have a 6 digit ink stamp. That month/year format was used in the last 2 years of the T-top and with the very first Shaws in the Heritage series. But most of the regular guitars were getting T-tops fitted at the same time Shaws were being phased in.