Gibson Les Paul Studio vs. Gibson SG Standard

Which Gibson is the one? SG Std or LP Studio?

• The Gibson Les Paul Studio...DUH!

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • The Gibson SG is a monster guitar!

Votes: 65 50.8%
  • Meh, there's better Gibson models in that price range.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • It's all about the taco stains, bro!

Votes: 13 10.2%

• Total voters

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Maybe this one has been done before...

Maybe not.

OK, Straight up: Which one is the better guitar for the money? I can be spared the "Oh, they're totally different guitars".

BS, I say!

1. They're both made by the same manufacturer.
2. Both models feature a 24 and a 1/2" scale length. Both feature a Tune-O-Matic Nashville style bridge.
3. Both models have mahogany bodies. (Studio has a maple cap). The SG is a slab of mahogany. LP Studio is chambered.
4. Both guitars feature rosewood (or on the newer models) baked maple fretboards. Both have Earvana nuts and Kluson style tuners.
5. Both guitars feature humbucker pickups. In fact, they both have the same pickups stock, the 490r/498t combination. Both also feature a 3-way selector swith and 2 volume/2 tone control knobs.
6. And finally...both guitars retail for about the same price.

So...for those who have tried, or own one, or both, or neither...which one is the better player, and the better value for the money?

Jedadiah

Reaction score
Close call but, having had both, i'm opting for the SG Standard. Why? Well, as it is so close, i'd have to say something as seemingly inconsequential as neck binding can push the SG into the winning slot.

Don't get me wrong, i like both, hell i've had both! The Studio is a great guitar and you get a lot of bang for your Buck but i think the SG Standard is just fantastic. The only issue i'd have with the SG Standard is, until recently, the colour choices. In the past, if someone said, 'i have a Gibson SG Standard', you'd say 'really? Red or Black?'

I know these reasons are shallow but it's such a close call that it comes down to the finer details.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
That's a very reasonable response, Jedadiah. I have my own opinions on this. I'm keeping mum for the sake of the poll. But I will say this: I own both, I've gigged with both numerous times...often at the same gig where I'd swap guitars between sets.

It'll be interesting to see the results on the Gibson Les Paul board. :D

No point of comparison. They are different animals.
Nope. Not buyin' it this time. Different animals...same species. It's close enough to ask...especially if someone's getting ready to pony up for a Gibson in this price range.

loveboat

Reaction score
I'd go for the SG standard. I like neck binding.

RichBrew

Reaction score
For once, I voted sensibly on a poll, and that was for the SG Standard, purely based on fret access.

RichBrew

JM2112

Reaction score
Both are great guitars, and you'll certainly want to own both. I have both the LP and SG and could not part with either of them.

However, I would go for the SG Standard compared to the Studio. It has better playability, it's light and easy to handle so it does not wear you down after playing for a while, and it has better upper fret access.

Also, the SG Standard is not the entry model of the SG line where the Studio is the entry model for the Les Paul. You'll likely be wanting to upgrade your Les Paul model later on anyway. So, if you don't want to spend that kind of money now for a higher end LP model, get the SG Standard and do the LP later on.

You'll love'em both!

bosnialove

Reaction score
SG Standard, ofc. Come on, how difficult can it be?

The Archer

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to find a way to do some playing on the instruments.

My pick would probably be the SG but that is just because I tend to be disloyal to guitars and a snazzy looking SG is an easier sell than a studio

The Archer

Reaction score
Nope. Not buyin' it this time. Different animals...same species. It's close enough to ask...especially if someone's getting ready to pony up for a Gibson in this price range.

If they were the same species they wouldnt be different animals....invoking taxonomy doesnt work here.

You have essentially said that since they are both mammals they should be directly comparable. Elephants are mammals, so are hamsters. Which one is better?

You need to play some guitars

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
Fret access & neck binding = SG Standard ...(but i bought the studio :naughty:)

Sinster

Reaction score
I went with the Taco Stains. I can't answer the question as I would go with the Les Paul over the SG. I also tend to play my Les Paul before my SG. That might not be the same for you.

Burst Boy

Reaction score
I have a mahogany cap Les Paul Studio with BB Pros and an SG Standard Limited with 490R (Alnico II) and 498T (Alnico V) pups.

Chalk and cheese.

The SG, probably due to the relationship between the body and neck and how it sits on the lap when sitting (have never played it standing) actually feels like a long scale neck and it is very Strat like in feel too. It has a very unique SG signature sound underlying the tone, very different from a Les Paul. I suspect that if I swapped pups with the Studio, it would change the sound but would still have that unique SG signature to it.

The Studio, well it has all the feel that is expected. It sits on the body differently, has a fatter neck and has the underlying Les Paul tone (even though it is chambered too). It has that "Les Pauliness" about it, sound and feel that has similarities to my Les Paul Traditional (although the Traditional is heavier and has a thicker body).

I know you don't really want to hear this, but to me they are both different and I personally can't decide which is better.

Flying_Milkman

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of the lack of binding on the Studios... Even though they're excellent guitars.

I'd buy the Standard and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

acstorfer

Reaction score
I would take pretty much the cheapest LP over the nicest SG. I just really don't like SG's.

voggin

Reaction score
I voted for the SG. My main motivation was value for money. I think the SG standard is an outrageously good buy. My only worry is that Gibson will figure this out and hike the price!

The SG standard is around the same price as a standard strat. Just look at the construction/materials differences between those two:

glued in v. bolt on neck
Binding, inlays v. none
pricier pickups
better hardware
nitro finish v. whatever they are using on new strats

I think the big difference in price between les pauls and SG's is the "popularity premium". I know the carved top probably is a factor as well, but if SG's and LP's were equally popular, my guess is that an SG standard would be $1200 and an LP trad would be 1600, as they are the comparable levels. A les paul studio should, given the lack of binding imho, be less than the SG standard.

The only real issue is that if you have the les paul bug, you're going to get one some day anyway. So you might end up buying the SG and then a studio down the road. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing!

(P.S. At least where I live, SG's don't hold value as well as lp's, so used, they're a steal!)

Latest Threads