Gibson Les Paul Studio.....fake?

joseph0284

Reaction score
So today I traded 3 guitars for this LP Studio with a case. Looked fine to me at the guitar store but when I got home I kind of thought it didnt feel right. For one it is really light. Second, The serial on the headstock is very very faint. Ive never seen one that was this hard to look at. I pulled the cavity cover and it had the Gibson quick connect PCB and pots. Removed the pickups and they appear to be Gibson as well. If you look at the inlays at 15 and 17 they seem kind of off. Did I get a fake????

Attachments

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be snarky and say "Why would anyone fake a Studio when there are millions of fake Standards and Customs".... but alas... yes, people fake Studios and even Epiphones.

tzd

Reaction score
It's real, probably chambered.

ARandall

Reaction score
Not fake at all.
Black (and any solid colour guitar for that matter) tend to have the colour coats fill the ser# impression more often than not. Its the spacing and font that are the important tells for that aspect.....not the depth.

In mid 2006 the studios went full chambered.....and they became super light. Studio guitars are thinner than the rest, so the chambering removes much of the depth. It sort of seems like there is less to them....as in the chambering removed more than for the other higher lines of guitar.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Can't imagine trading 3 guitars for a Studio but you got a real one. Congrats!

joseph0284

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It was 3 guitars that i didn't really care for that I either got in trade or got for dirt cheap. It kind of evened out.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
Gibsons with solid color backs (not see through) sometimes are harder to read. Looks super real to me. I really like the very black look of that guitar.

Last edited:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibsons with solid color backs (not see through) sometimes are harder to read. Look super real to me. I really like the very black look of that guitar.
Yep... My black 2020 SG Standard is impossible to read.

Latest Threads