Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s neck and top joint question

palmerfralick

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

This is my first post in the forum :) I'm planning on putting my hands on my first every Gibson Les Paul and I was considering the most recent Standard series. I wrote to a online music store to ask for the real pictures of the guitar and I've noticed there a wrinkle that looks like excessive glue or varnish. The vendor claims it's completely normal and that I can find it on every Les Paul. Is he right?
new guy on the line. not acceptable

Braga7

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everybody! I'm located in Poland and apparently Gibsons LP Standards 60s are out of stock in whole country so I was looking for the deals in the online music stores over Europe. That Les Paul from my pictures is in Germany so I don't have the option of trying it out before buying. I think I'll pass on that one.

I have another question, although I don't know if I'm allowed to post it in this thread as it concerns a different guitar. I've come across an interesting Les Paul Classic from the most recent series. It's equipped with Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday pickups and the wiring has been changed too. It comes with 50s wiring CTS PIO (whatever that means :D).

The price is 2150 USD. I could have a new LP Classic (not modded) for 1900 USD. Do you think this mod is worth paying an extra 250$? Mostly I play with Amplitube. Do you think any difference would be audible?

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I hesitate to pay for someone else’s mods.
They are not always done very well.

fretout

Reaction score
Those images look a little more sloppy than you’ll commonly find in the neck joint, but it’s pretty common to see that where the fretboard meets the top.

P.S. It’s not excess neck glue that you’re seeing. What you’re seeing is a build up of the lacquer, which is rarely completely finished due to the way Gibson buffs their finishes. Gibson uses big drum buffers, which are not optimized to buff out the top where the fretboard meets the body. Gibson doesnt want to hire someone to Dremel those little tiny nooks and crannies, so Gibson will get as “precise” as they can with what they already have, without burning through the finish.

1allspub

Reaction score
Thing is, that angle and lighting really accentuate the issue. Taken from another angle without light reflecting right into that corner where the neck meets the body and you wouldn’t even be able to see it.

You can take any LP, hold it at different angles in strong lighting, and you’ll see all manner of little imperfections in the finish. Handle enough of them and you’ll know this to be true.

The_Gibboboy

Reaction score
There are enough well finished ones to not bother with that one
As for the guitar with the bare knuckles, it should not cost more, the guitar came with good pickups in the first place, if someone changes them it doesn’t add value, they should take that hit, it’s not worth more than a new one

Latest Threads