Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s Nashville Bridge Question.

amgomez

Reaction score
So, I had a spare Nashville bridge made of aluminum laying around. When I got my guitar, I decided to try it out. I felt with the Nashville, my guitar sounded a bit more resonant when played acoustically. I also felt that it sounded like it had way more chime. Messing around with it, I noticed it’s easier to intonate my guitar with the Nashville. I have a Faber ABRH My questions are:

1.Does anyone prefer aluminum Nashville bridges to Abr-1 bridges?

2. the old Nashville bridges were made of a different alloy, correct? (I remember them being a lot heavier)

the look of the Nashville is growing on me.The only things that bug me is it’s historical inaccuracy, but then again..we’re not living in the 50s, so I guess I can look past it. Haha.

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes,.. old Nashville bridges and stop tailpieces were made of zamak,.. the same alloy they make the little Hotwheel cars.

Zamak is zinc aluminum magnesium and copper alloy... a Heavy alloy.

An excellent flowing alloy for casting.... the reason it was used.

The problem with this material is if it loses it’s plating it will corrode easily and crumble.

Last edited:

amgomez

Reaction score
Yes,.. old Nashville bridges and stop tailpieces were made of zamak,.. the same alloy they make the little Hotwheel cars.

Zamak is zinc aluminum magnesium and copper alloy... a Heavy alloy.

An excellent flowing alloy for casting.... the reason it was used.

The problem with this material is if it loses it’s plating it will corrode easily and crumble.
Have you ever tried one? If so, what do you think about them tonally?

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried one? If so, what do you think about them tonally?
Yes,... in fact I have two Norlin Gibson Les Paul Customs with Zamak bridge and tailpiece and my 2011 Les Paul Traditional has this same setup and other gibby’s.....

These units work well and seem to have a warmer influence to the tone than full aluminum or solid brass versions. Not as “chimey” which can make certain pickups become spikey on the high end..... Zamak can take the brittleness off overly bright pups... and aluminum can brighten dark pups... at least that is my experience. Others may differ from my opinion.

amgomez

Reaction score
Yes,... in fact I have two Norlin Gibson Les Paul Customs with Zamak bridge and tailpiece and my 2011 Les Paul Traditional has this same setup and other gibby’s.....

These units work well and seem to have a warmer influence to the tone than full aluminum or solid brass versions. Not as “chimey” which can make certain pickups become spikey on the high end..... Zamak can take the brittleness off overly bright pups... and aluminum can brighten dark pups... at least that is my experience. Others may differ from my opinion.
am I crazy, or is it harder to intonate an ABR1? I have no problem with the Nashville. According to my strobe tuner, it’s pretty dead on.. chords sound like crap though with the ABR1, I mean pitch-wise not tone-wise.. With Nashville it’s dead on and the chords sound great, no abnormal dissonance. I compared the 2, and they both seem to have the saddles in the same place. I don’t know if it’s the Faber ABR1 that just has dissonant overtones.

Latest Threads