Gibson Les Paul Standard '50s Electric Guitar - New guitar with feedback issues

p64imp

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to ask how common it is to have feedback on a Gibson Les Paul 50's Standard guitar. My first i purchased from Musician's Friend had bad string buzz that was the result of a twisted neck. I sent it back and got this one as a replacement - but I am noticing that when i plug it in i get feedback from the guitar that gets worse with overdrive effects. The feedback buzz goes away when i touch the strings, but when i release my hand, after a second, the buzz comes back. It's not crazy loud, but its definitely there and annoying.

I'd expect for a $2800 guitar that there wouldn't be electrical buzz coming out of the amp - especially when my $1200 Schecter is whisper quiet....

What i want to know being somewhat of a novice here is, is what i am describing typical for a Gibson Les Paul 50's Standard, or do i have a lemon? Should i go through the headache of yet another replacement guitar, or is what i have a typical example of this guitar, and i should just accept it?

I'm trying to learn off Rocksmith, and plugging in there the noise is actually way worse as the buzz with the gain levels sounds like i'm playing with a radio slightly out of tune in the background when i dont touch the strings.

Looking for some advice here.

Thanks much!

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goes away when you touch the strings? if it’s a buzzing noise, that’s more likely to be a bad earth than feedback. Maybe post a sound clip?

irocdave12

Reaction score
This is a known issue that some les Paul’s have and some don’t. It’s unfortunately the luck of the draw. It’s likely related to grounding issue. There have been many that have the issue and then it goes away. Probably because it was related to something else outside of the guitar. Have you moved your rig around to different rooms to see if the issue follows everywhere its plugged in? Tried a different amp and cable? Do everything you can to narrow it down to only the guitar as the cause. You might just need to do some shielding in your cavity if it getting in the way. If you are not big on working on the guitars you can start with just shielding the backside of the cavity cover as a start

p64imp

Reaction score
I read mixed results, some say this fix is super easy, others say they shielded everything in sight and never resolved the issue. I'm good with electrical, but i don't much want to mess with a $2800 guitar wiring when its still under the return window...

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read mixed results, some say this fix is super easy, others say they shielded everything in sight and never resolved the issue. I'm good with electrical, but i don't much want to mess with a $2800 guitar wiring when its still under the return window...

this 100%

bryvincent

Reaction score
the buzz going away when you touch the strings show the grounding is good and working.

a vintage style guitar like a Les Paul with low output A2 pups and unshielded cavities is gonna be a bit noisier than a modern, built for high gain Schecter with high output ceramic pups and fully shielded cavities depending on the playing environment.

i bet you if you exchange it for another one, its gonna be the same.

p64imp

Reaction score
That's the kind of info i'm looking for really, to see if my guitar is indeed a lemon, or if its to be expected this way. I know without seeing it in person and hearing it for yourself its impossible to tell me that, but i'm really just seeking out the best advice.

I really do like the guitar, i'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sound, so stuff like that really gets under my skin. If i can tell myself "its supposed to be like this" then it'll be much more easy for me to swallow...

AJK1

Reaction score
Maybe you should take it to a human being and get it checked out

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's no guitar tech local to you, do you know any other players? Get a second opinion or try it in their amp?

p64imp

Reaction score
thats the thing, it would be a guitar center tech i would need to take it to. My local guitar center techs suck really bad. I'd rather just return it.

JMP

Reaction score
thats the thing, it would be a guitar center tech i would need to take it to. My local guitar center techs suck really bad. I'd rather just return it.
I agree, avoid Guitar Center and their “techs”. Maybe do some research to find a local alternative luthier or tech? There’s gotta be someone near you.

Peter M

Reaction score
guitar center tech
cringe.jpg

decoy205

Reaction score
I think it’s normal under high gain. There’s a difference between feedback and ground buzz. Buzz is more prominent under high gain for this type of guitar but feedback can be either your facing your amp at high gain or your pups are microphonic. Sounds like ground buzz to me again is normal when you touch the strings for it to stop.

moreles

Reaction score
All the guesses above are reasonable... guesses. Instead of asking people what it is, which is unknowable without being present with the guitar, start eliiminating variables. First of all, you need to find out if it's actually the guitar at fault, or something else -- house wiring,m interferences, etc. Try different amps (and cords) in different places and see if the problem remains constant. Turn off lights. Turn off TV. If you're still getting noise, then it's likely the guitar and contrary to what's been said here, it is not difficult for an informed owner, and certainly a real (not GC) tech to find electrical faults in a guitar! Personally, I'd try making sure the problem is in the guitar, and if it is, I'd return it. It's not your job to fix crap shipped out by irresponsible mass retailers. If -- if, if, if -- it's the guitar. And in a properly grounded rig, you do not have to touch strings to cancel noise. That's what grounds are for; you don't need to be the ground.

none2low

Reaction score
If -- if, if, if -- it's the guitar. And in a properly grounded rig, you do not have to touch strings to cancel noise. That's what grounds are for; you don't need to be the ground.
Sorry, but I don't have a single passive electric guitar that doesn't exhibit some level of hum which quiets upon touching the strings.

Obviously, there can be many factors that contribute to this and what is considered acceptable can vary based upon the circumstance and intended use, but to suggest that the OP's guitar is not properly grounded based upon his description is just wrong.

My advise - Take your guitar down to the nearest GC store and compare it side by side with another Les Paul. That should tell you pretty quick if there is an issue or not. Then you can decide if you want to return it, keep it, or trade it for something else that meets your level of satisfaction.

Best of luck resolving things and congrats!!

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take your guitar down to the nearest GC store and compare it side by side with another Les Paul. That should tell you pretty quick if there is an issue or not. Then you can decide if you want to return it, keep it, or trade it for something else that meets your level of satisfaction.

That is a good idea, make the best use of your local GC.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Cavities need to be shielded. The end. Period. It’s common.

AJK1

Reaction score
Even a guitar tech that ‘sucks really bad’ should be able to find the cause of the problem

Latest Threads