Gibson Les Paul Standard 2018 Fretboard Issues

Selendia

Reaction score
Dear all,

I recently bought a brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard 2018 MB.

First of all I am very happy with this guitar, but I'm slightly concerned about some small fissures in the fretboard directly in front of the nut.

What do you think? Is this acceptable or can this lead to some serious problems in long-term?

Thanks!

Photo-2018-11-23-14-09-07_5062.JPG

Attachments

shupe13

Reaction score
From what I see, light sanding would remedy this, especially if you really like the guitar.

Macronaut

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I had something very similar in the same area on my 2017 Standard. I did a little very, very light sanding (more of a buffing) then applied some Fret Doctor and it looks great. That was about 2 years ago and I just checked it again to see if it may need more FD but, it still looks great. Actually, even better than the day I did the work.

It should be an easy fix. Careful not to over do it.

scozz

Reaction score
I had something very similar in the same area on my 2017 Standard. I did a little very, very light sanding (more of a buffing) then applied some Fret Doctor and it looks great. That was about 2 years ago and I just checked it again to see if it may need more FD but, it still looks great. Actually, even better than the day I did the work.

It should be an easy fix. Careful not to over do it.
This is good advice....I’ll stress very light sanding with very fine sandpaper, or maybe 0000 steel wool.

And I definitely recommend Fret Doctor....great stuff for fingerboards. Use this sparingly also.

Selendia

Reaction score
Thanks for your helpful tips!

I followed your advice to apply some fretboard oil and it looks at least better now. Do you think this is just a "blemish" or do you think there's a risk the fissures are getting bigger?

I also recognized that the nut slots of the low E and A string are slightly too wide, you may see it on this picture, but I'll also post a better one when I'm back home.

Photo-2018-11-26-14-26-28_5067.JPG

endial

Reaction score
I'm sorry Selendia, I just don't see "fissures" as you call them. Maybe the grain gets a little rough there but even if that were the case, there's not a whole lot of wear abuse in that area. Do you do string bends in the first fret off the nut? I think this is being way overthought, and somebody needs their OCD to be put in check for a minute.

Selendia

Reaction score
I'm sorry Selendia, I just don't see "fissures" as you call them. Maybe the grain gets a little rough there but even if that were the case, there's not a whole lot of wear abuse in that area. Do you do string bends in the first fret off the nut? I think this is being way overthought, and somebody needs their OCD to be put in check for a minute.
Well, that's what I wanted to hear! ;-) Indeed I'm a very perfectionist person...

scozz

Reaction score

I followed your advice to apply some fretboard oil and it looks at least better now. Do you think this is just a "blemish" or do you think there's a risk the fissures are getting bigger?

I also recognized that the nut slots of the low E and A string are slightly too wide, you may see it on this picture, but I'll also post a better one when I'm back home.

View attachment 344119
Not to start another dilemma with you guitar but the low E string looks a little too close to the edge of the fretboard imo. Looks like the nut slot is cut a little too close to the edge.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Not to start another dilemma with you guitar but the low E string looks a little too close to the edge of the fretboard imo. Looks like the nut slot is cut a little too close to the edge.
Cheezits rice! Endial just talked him off the ledge and you're taking his place :)

Looks fine to me, I think it's just the angle in that pic

scozz

Reaction score
That’s a bigger issue than the fretboard. Those slots should not be that wide. You might need a nut job. (I know.....)
Yup, I agree...a new nut is needed.

Cheezits rice! Endial just talked him off the ledge and you're taking his place :)

Looks fine to me, I think it's just the angle in that pic
You might be right, but the string looks a bit too close to the edge of the fingerboard to me in that first pic. :hmm:

A new nut will remedy both of these issues. :cool2:

(Didn’t mean to put you back on the ledge @Selendia :D)

Les Paul John

Reaction score

View attachment 344119

You have to measure things out, could be the spacing on the string saddles on the bridge are wrong. Given you've stated the distance in between the E and the A is wider than it should be. Is it also at the saddles on the bridge?

kakerlak

Reaction score
Fretboard looks great from the pics you posted. Last two nut slots are obviously way too wide. Are you running super thin strings on it?

yamariv

Reaction score
OP, can you point out exactly what "Fissures" you are referring to on your fretboard? All I see is rosewood that looks completely normal? I'd call myself OCD and I don't see anything :dunno:

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
OP, can you point out exactly what "Fissures" you are referring to on your fretboard? All I see is rosewood that looks completely normal? I'd call myself OCD and I don't see anything :dunno:
I’m betting that what the OP is talking about is the way the openess of rosewood grain shows up against the hard contrast of the white nut. I’ve got a couple coarse-grained fingerboards that it appears more noticeable on, and I’ve seen some that were kinda roughly cut so it looked almost like splinters were missing.

Unfortunately, the photos provided were focused further up the board, so the area they’re asking about is a little blurry, but you can see one grain-opening or splinter (whatever be it) just to the treble side of the third string in the second pic: