Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 vs Gibson Les Paul Studio

NBG

Reaction score
Is there any difference in the thickness of the necks of the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 and the Gibson Les Paul Studio?
Which has the thickest neck, and is there much difference in the thickness?
Anyone that have a picture where those two necks can be compared?

Any other comments about the necks of Les Paul guitars are also very welcome!!:)

Satch0922

Reaction score
Welcome.

You can search the forum and find several threads related to this very subject.

NBG

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
I have already searched the forum but could not find any threads that compare the neck of the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 and Gibson Les Paul Studio.

If someone knows where I can find those threads, please give me the link!

NBG

Reaction score
Backline, thanks for the great answer!

I guess that image of the "Standard" neck is the 50's neck and not the 60', is that correct?? I wonder since the Les Paul Standard (at least 2002-2007) can have both variants...
BTW, where did you find the image?

haddo

Reaction score
Hi to all.
Q - I know Gibson Studios are cosmetically basic entry level LP’s but does this include Pickups & Wiring.
The purpose of my question above is that I was thinking of changing pups therefore do I need to upgrade the pots’n’caps etc.
I never factored this into my original purchase decision of $$$tudio v $$$$tandard.:hmm:

All help appreciated.

Jesa

Reaction score
There are no 2 guitars that play the same or sound the same way.
They can only bi simmilar.

It`s all about your personall impression!
If you`re planning on buying a STUDIO and upgrading it, don`t!

I have an excellent 2008 STUDIO, and I`m preatty satasfied with it.
SHURE, I`d prefer to own a CUSTOM or an Historic Collecton, but those guitars are 2, 3 or even 4 times the price of a STUDIO.

Either find a really good peace (studio), something you`ll be satisfied with for a few years or so, or, save more money for a STANDARD.

You can change the pickups, the electronics, the tuners, but it`l still play, sound, look like a STUDIO.

cphilip

Reaction score
Hi to all.
Q - I know Gibson Studios are cosmetically basic entry level LP’s but does this include Pickups & Wiring.
As far as I know, the pick ups and wiring are the same as other models that use those two Humbuckers it comes with. The standard uses a different kind of PUPs though (Bustbuckers). But I think the Supreme and (IIRC and please correct me if wrong) the Custom (some at least) use the same set of PUPS as most of the Studio's (a few Studio's actually used different sets from time to time).

It is just the elimination of trim, particularly the Binding that is the difference. And now, since 2008 the bodies are chambered as well.

Here is the blurb that Gibson puts out.

Features: Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Classic Les Paul Studio Guitar Tone, Electric Guitar Prices and Specs From Gibson Guitar Music Instruments

Overview: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio/Overview.aspx

Although slightly different sound from the PUPs the Studio uses than the Standard, it is still a classic old school Gibson LP tone. It might even be more "correct" of the older Gibson sounds than the Standard produces now a days although who can argue that's not a great sound as well? I guess its a different flavor of ice cream but still ice cream...

siggy14

Reaction score
The custom uses the same pickups as the studio, depending on your style of music you might love it.

As far as I know, the pick ups and wiring are the same as other models that use those two Humbuckers it comes with. The standard uses a different kind of PUPs though (Bustbuckers). But I think the Supreme and (IIRC and please correct me if wrong) the Custom (some at least) use the same set of PUPS as most of the Studio's (a few Studio's actually used different sets from time to time).

It is just the elimination of trim, particularly the Binding that is the difference. And now, since 2008 the bodies are chambered as well.

Here is the blurb that Gibson puts out.

Features: Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Classic Les Paul Studio Guitar Tone, Electric Guitar Prices and Specs From Gibson Guitar Music Instruments

Overview: Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Les Paul Studio Guitars, Robot Guitar Prices and Photos, Gibson Electric Guitar News and Wiki

Although slightly different sound from the PUPs the Studio uses than the Standard, it is still a classic old school Gibson LP tone. It might even be more "correct" of the older Gibson sounds than the Standard produces now a days although who can argue that's not a great sound as well? I guess its a different flavor of ice cream but still ice cream...

Sinster

Reaction score
Actually my Studio came with Burstbuckers Pro's. Remember that they have PCB boards..

Similar to this -

Here's a shot of my pups.

haddo

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies:
Looking at the pic it does show there is a difference. Looks like you can play around with sets by just plugging them in to the board.
I had a look and my studio has 490 & 498, does it have 250k or 500k pots?
I really like the studio but the one they delivered doesn’t sound like the one I played at the shop. Hums loudly & sounds bland in comparison that’s why I want to change pups, and wiring if needed, plus I want to get “that” tone.

01chaoy

Reaction score
Dude there is no match with studio and 2008
Its just like SG special and 61 reissue
You would definetly wanna switch it afetr some time

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies:
Looking at the pic it does show there is a difference. Looks like you can play around with sets by just plugging them in to the board.
I had a look and my studio has 490 & 498, does it have 250k or 500k pots?
I really like the studio but the one they delivered doesn’t sound like the one I played at the shop. Hums loudly & sounds bland in comparison that’s why I want to change pups, and wiring if needed, plus I want to get “that” tone.
There's nothing wrong with those pickups. That's a killer set.

Your Studio comes stock with 300 K pots and Jensen .022 capacitors.

New pots and caps will easily bring out more punch and brightness in your pickups if this is what you are looking for.

(Check out the Tonefreaks section....and specifically, Tonemojo and RS Guitarworks. Jonesy and/or Hillbilly outta be able to hook you up..)

01chaoy

Reaction score
Well actually the thing that defines your sound is your wood
LIke customs have AAA grade woods that beat most standards

Dr3w86

Reaction score
Is there any difference in the thickness of the necks of the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 and the Gibson Les Paul Studio?
Which has the thickest neck, and is there much difference in the thickness?
Anyone that have a picture where those two necks can be compared?

Any other comments about the necks of Les Paul guitars are also very welcome!!:)
NBG,

I have a 2003 studio and a 2008 standard with the 60's style neck. If your still interested i can get you a pic if you want to compare them. But if your looking to buy, no picture is going to tell you what you preffer. Go down to your local guitar store and try them out.

Thanks, I hope this helps

Dr3w

vmjoe

Reaction score
I had a Studio I bought in '07 and later installed Burstbucker Pro pups. Last year I bought an '08 Standard which came stock with the BB Pro's. The Standard definatly had a better tone and I really liked the asymetrical neck more than the '59 neck on the Studio.

I later traded my Studio in on an '08 Standard Gold Top and eventually ended up with '57 Classics in it. IMO the Standards were worth the extra cash. But everyone may not feel the same. Chambered or not, my Standards sound incredible.

I believe the more I play these two the more I lean toward the sound of the '57 Classic pups. They both sound very good, but the '57's are just so warm.

Latest Threads