Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute P-90

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Has anyone tried or bought one of these? Opinions?

Just wondering what you think. I quite like the simplified specs on it (apart from chrome hardware) and am toying with the idea of buying one. Either that or a new LP Junior.

CattleDog

Reaction score
Also interested - I want something with P 90’s next, but I don’t think I want P 90’s enough to justify the significant step up to the Original.

mikey

Reaction score
I have a heritage tribute in black satin that's been toured with pretty heavily with P90s. Things sing. I think i like them more than buckers

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have one of the 2020 epi versions of this guitar and its a nice git ,can only believe the gibson would be even better.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried or bought one of these? Opinions?

Just wondering what you think. I quite like the simplified specs on it (apart from chrome hardware) and am toying with the idea of buying one. Either that or a new LP Junior.

The only physical difference between the regular Special and the Tribute is the bridge and the lack of neck binding. They should sound the same. but the Tribute might have slightly better intonation. The price difference is huge, though. The Special Tribute in Canada retails at 62% of the Special. I've thought about getting a Worn White one with P-90s.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Having no neck binding is partly what appeals to me.

The finish is also different. The Tribute has a satin finish whereas the Special is gloss. And rounded vs. 50's neck profile, I believe.

I wonder if the electronics are the same?

Last edited:

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having no neck binding is partly what appeals to me.

The finish is also different. The Tribute has a satin finish whereas the Special is gloss. And rounded vs. 50's neck profile, I believe.

I wonder if the electronics are the same?
I forgot that the neck is maple instead of mahogany. There may be a PCB instead of hand wired pickups, but that shouldn't matter.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
I forgot that the neck is maple instead of mahogany. There may be a PCB instead of hand wired pickups, but that shouldn't matter.
Confirmed with relatively local shop that these have handwired electronics with orange drop caps. Nice.

Super tempted.

Chris Meck

Reaction score
As a recent owner of a 60's GT Les Paul p-90, I'm all in on p-90's and I want one of these now too for open G slide and Keith Richards inspired riffage.

uncle mud

Reaction score
The recent specials are excellent. I have one and really enjoy the fat neck, p90's and the wrap around bridge.

Tim-ster

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great to hear these thoughts. Anyone know if they are pleked? Just picked one up off the Verb. I'll report my findings when it arrives.

Latest Threads