Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute DC

Matthewriot

Reaction score
Last year I decided to buy a gibson body husk and put together one myself and see if it was cheaper to do that way (it wasn’t at all) - and a bunch of the Les Paul Special Tribute DC were up on eBay from the stratosphere. It was already a fairly cheap guitar, and I absolutely love Les Paul Juniors. This was like a modern junior with a weird pick guard and an extra P90.

So I bought all of the original parts for it that I could find… went to buy the pickguard and…. NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. at least it wasn’t at the time, not sure if any started popping up. I eventually took the gamble on buying the single pickup version and hoping it would be the same and I would only have to route out and extra p90 slot. Luckily that did work, and now I have a template as well as pickguard materials and the bit to cut pick guards, so if anyones in need let a brother know. Gibson wouldn’t even sell me one.

Anyway, after getting it all ready to rock, I installed Grover locking tuners, I was going to put in some Lindy p90s, but the ones that are stock are very decent and they are solderless so I chose to go with the gibson brand.

Added a Leo Quan Badass Bridge - and then came to the realization that I’m not a fan of the color it’s currently stained - so I sat on it for a few months figuring out what I’d like to paint it like.

Then on an episode of Troglys Guitar Show I saw my answer. The stunt plane gibson. It is going to be where this girl is headed next. So I took every piece back off and now just waiting for it to warm up a tad and then gonna shoot her in the style of the pics below.

Attachments

• D491E637-17F8-4DB0-90AA-983F9CEA019F.jpeg
    D491E637-17F8-4DB0-90AA-983F9CEA019F.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 41
  • C5AA8020-7AB1-4F14-89E7-D86B41C88B34.jpeg
    C5AA8020-7AB1-4F14-89E7-D86B41C88B34.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 39

redcoats1976

Reaction score
its looks fine as is IMO...are you going to be using nitro paint from a spray can to shoot it?

Matthewriot

Reaction score
I believe that’s what we are going with is the nitro spray. As an old punk rock guy I like loud looking stuff - and having the same color as everyone else just won’t do. It is rad on its own… but when something strikes me as pretty I want to own it.

Finally got it semi- put together - digging up my old Leo Quran bridge to replace the stock bridge and haven’t yet found the proper pick guard screws for this size hole / thread. The ones I have would stick out and be rounded tops - I think a flat headed would be much better - any tips?

I’m also probably going to change the buttons on the keys - those look pretty boring to me, and I’ve always loved the jade looking winged ones

Matthewriot

Reaction score
Finally got everything all put together. Ready to go…. Annnnnd nothing works well. One pickup semi functioning, the other almost nothing. One magnet is much stronger than the other just using basic touch and feel with a screwdriver. So I switch that pickup out, I’ll deal with it later…. I have to wire up another quick connect piece I had, this time to a special pickup that’s a prototype from fender that I can’t disclose - it’s not out and may never be out. P90 of a sort. Plug it in. And this time Nothing. I’m getting readings from one half using the multimeter, but when plugged into an amp, nothing. Screw this quick connect crap, going to do it from scratch, since that’s apparently going to be loads easier than messing with this stuff. Lesson learned, I have no interest in using gibsons quick connect crap again. With that said I have some cool EVH pots somewhere. Some paper and oil caps. Ftw. Tomorrow it plays!

Latest Threads