Gibson Les Paul Special 2020 - TV Yellow - Paint Defect

drock5000

Reaction score
hi everyone - so I purchased a brand new 2020 Gibson LP Special in TV Yellow. Fantastic playing guitar, P-90s sound great..........but come on Gibson, how about a little more attention to detail on the paint job! I'm usually one that just disregards minor imperfections but it is aggravating when you spend this much money, on a guitar with a very basic finish, and you end up with this. This spot on where the neck meets the body makes it look like they painted it a little bit, then let some dust settle into the paint, then shipped it out. And this is not something that can be scrubbed out.....it is in there good! I bought this one from Zzounds......but I have seen 3 of this exact same model at Sam Ash and GC, and they all have issues like this. I don't know, maybe I'm overly critical on the details..........
gibson les paul special 1 paint defect.jpg

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they got the color right.

But that's not the only thing I see wrong in that "TV " finish.

Where's the grain?

And yes, this is a masking error when shooting the color coat.

This finish requires a white undercoat, and that's what I'm seeing under the neck binding and dirty paint.

endial

Reaction score
Agreed.

That said, I'm too forgiving. I'd think of that as a distinguishing mark, as in a flaw that would distinguish yours from anyone else's TV Yellow Special. If it rocked and played great, I would let it go. Probably ask for a discount (good pic for that inquiry). I have a Junior that is "gloppy" in the same spot on the opposite side of the neck where I always see it. Doesn't bother me. Got it used, though, so there's that. Didn't affect my purchase decision. It's your call. Return or discount.

Injector

Reaction score
My 2020 has that flaw on the back where the neck meets the body. It also has over-plekked frets but it's a keeper. The neck profile is perfect for me and the guitar absolutely rocks.

*Edited to add it's actually a July 2019 LP Special that I purchased brand new in Jan 2020.

Last edited:

gball

Reaction score
Is it definitely in the finish? Kinda looks like it could be polishing compound from that pic.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
maybe gibson should be looking into that,saving money and getting better results is not always a bad thing...

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Many Gibsons seem to be a little rough around the neck joint, it seems to go with the territory.

uncle mud

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Les Paul special in tv yellow that has perfect fit and finish. Fantastic guitar by the way.

drock5000

Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks for the input. So I did decide to send the guitar back for a refund. Just couldn't bear spending that much money with that significant of a paint defect. But, the story has a happy ending.......I just bought a used but like new condition 2020 Gibson Les Paul Special Jr., and I am in love! What an amazing guitar........finish is perfect, great neck profile. Love everything about it! I will get another TV yellow, but will buy from a retailer that will allow me to see the finish before buying. Here she is :)
LP Junior 3.jpg

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
Never played one without that defect. Glad you're happy with yours. All my Gibsons came with finish issues, but I just don't care - great sound, great playability and quality is top notch where it matters most. I'm willing to forgive a few human mistakes.

That said you ended up a winner with another amazing guitar in your hands. Congrats!

endial

Reaction score
Never played one without that defect. Glad you're happy with yours. All my Gibsons came with finish issues, but I just don't care - great sound, great playability and quality is top notch where it matters most. I'm willing to forgive a few human mistakes.

That said you ended up a winner with another amazing guitar in your hands. Congrats!
^^THIS.

Latest Threads