Gibson Les Paul Junior USA vs Custom Shop

Fenderbendr

Reaction score
I’m looking to get a Jr, and I’m just wondering if a used custom shop version is worth 2x the cost of a used USA original collection version. Anyone have experience with both?

soyboi

Reaction score
I've had a 2020 50's standard and my current R9. I wouldn't pay the price for a brand new R9 over a Standard, but if you have the Custom Shop itch to scratch (i.e. you've opened that door in your brain) you're eventually going to want one. Just get the CS one man, you have one life to live.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I have a '57 RI Historic Jr and it is without a doubt the best guitar I've ever owned. Now whether that is because this particular guitar was just an exceptional one or if they are all this level...I can't say. I've played a few USA Jrs and while they have all been great guitars they aren't on the same level as my Historic.

When it comes to Custom Shop guitars in general... and speaking from my experience only...I would say they tend to be about 10 - 15% better than the average comparable production model (in general, obviously there are exceptions). And within that percentage is some combination of upgraded looks, sound, feel, fit / finish, and playabiltiy. So you end up paying a premium for what amounts a relatively small upgrade. But there is something about that upgrade that is really hard to quantify. They do retain their value (and even increase in value as the new prices go up), so that also factors in.

I will say the prices for a new Historic Jr are absurd and you're better off finding a beat vintage one. If you were to find a used one for $2k to $2400, then yes, I would say it's worth it if you can afford it.

netlocal

Reaction score
I’m looking to get a Jr, and I’m just wondering if a used custom shop version is worth 2x the cost of a used USA original collection version. Anyone have experience with both?
I have experience with both (sort of). I have a 2019 Original Collection SG Junior, and a 2020 R7TV VOS Junior.

The 2019 Original, quality is on par with the 2020 CS Shop stuff, in my opinion. Gibson knocked it out of the park in 2019 with the ‘originals’. I would have no hesitation to rock an Original collection Junior. My 2020 VOS TV is super lightweight (6.4 lbs) and I dig the TV thing. For me I’d rather have the exact guitar I want, than have money sitting in some bank somewhere, so I bought it. :dude:

That VOS stuff is so lame tho. I wish Gibson would quit doing that. Took me half a can of WD40 to get that rusty crap off the bridge posts:thumb:

The 2019 TKL case is great and fits the guitar perfect too. The 2020 TKL is not so great, but the retailer sent a GWW Case as a replacement, that is in my opinion better. I made a video of the comparison.
D8703355-EE40-4716-A025-69DBA70A9498.jpeg

Latest Threads