Gibson Les Paul Junior Special Cutaway

Seven

Reaction score
Has anybody played one of these yet?

Buy Gibson Les Paul Junior Special Cutaway Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Jr Special

Gibson Les Paul Junior Special Cutaway Electric Guitar Features:
Lightweight slab single-cutaway mahogany body
Nitrocellulose lacquer finish
1-piece mahogany neck with long neck tenon
22-fret ebony fingerboard
Dot inlays
'60s slim taper neck profile
24-3/4" scale length
1-11/16" nut width
Dual Gibson P-90 single-coil soapbar pickups
CTS pots and bumble bee capacitors
2 volume and 2 tone controls with 3-way toggle selector
White button tuners
Chrome hardware
Tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece
Available in three finishes: Heritage Cherry, Alpine White and Gloss Yellow.
LP Thinline Gibson Guitar Case

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
As much as I love the look and vibe of these I just can't get over the fact I could by an SG Classic with P90's for about $300 less. I don't know...it's a tough call for sure.

ratfinkdan

Reaction score
I just got one yesterday, seems really nice, plays great, the setup seems good no fret buzzs or anything stays in tune good, action is nice. The p90s sound really good in all 3 positions. I really like the feel of the volume and tone controls, very smooth taper on both, no hitting a spot where there is a big jump in the vol or tone. It feels really solid, has great sustain. I'm really likeing it, glad I went with this one over the one in the GC ads. Also comes with a hard shell case. Been wanting a Les Paul for a long time and I'm a sucker for p90s and that Les Paul special look! I'm new here, I'll try and post a reveiw in a week or so. Great guitar!

Seven

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Post a pic when you get a chance. What color did you get? I'm jonesing for a white one....:cool:

ratfinkdan

Reaction score
Got the heritage red, I'll post pics in a week or so. Played it some more this morning, sweet guitar, I'm liking it more and more!

truetone6

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Post a pic when you get a chance. What color did you get? I'm jonesing for a white one....:cool:

Musicians Friend only has the White ones left in stock.

740362.jpg

marc1kim

Reaction score
Im surprised BCR Greg hasnt chimed in. The Junior Specials have been around since the mid 90's (off and on) and some were even called SL's. Most diehards argue they are neither Junior nor Special (by vintage specs) and should be given a different name.

Junior Specials differ from vintage spec specials, with TOM bridge, no fretboard binding, 60's taper neck, cutaway tapers flush with the neck, and a belly cut on the backside.

I can't tell you anything about the 2010 moldels, but my '05 (with humbuckers) is the most comfortable les paul I've ever played, and I love that fat mahogany tone.

jonpowl

Reaction score
Do the current models @ Musician's Friend have a contoured back? It doesn't look like it in the pictures. The ebony fingerboard is a big plus!

dodger916

Reaction score
I bought one of the Gtr Ctr special editions last year that has neck binding. I was surprised at how well it resonates, but of course every axe is different. It's become my #1 because a) I've become a P90 convert, b) the smaller profile neck fits my smallish hands better than ANY guitar I've ever played, and c) I'd rather not gig with my more expensive LPs. The 60's style neck is not as small as my 71 SG. It's slightly narrower than my other LPs and not as thick, but still enough room so my fingers don't feel cramped. It's ever-so-slightly bigger than my '96 Special, which is a good thing for me. Obviously I'd recommend it, and you can return it if not satisfied.

Can't tell from the pics about the contour body (my GC model does). Ebony fretboard is nice.

jonpowl

Reaction score
I just received my Gibson Les Paul Jr Special Exclusive today. I'll have to say the quality of this guitar is astounding. I got the Heritage Cherry and it came with a Gibson hard case for under $700. It plays nicely right out of the box, although it may need a slight bridge adjustment for a couple of strings to get it perfectly in tune. The ebony fingerboard is exquisite, the frets are finished adequately, it sounds incredible and looks even better. It plays as well as my professionally setup 2001 Gibson Les Paul Special SL w/humbuckers, but looks better. I'm a slab guitar guy, with a Tele and a couple of Specials but this guitar has to be one of the best bang for the buck guitars going!

DV016_Jpg_Large_430805.083_heritage_cherry.jpg

jonpowl

Reaction score
:sadwave:BTW, I'm keeping my Les Paul Special SL but my Melody Maker might have to go just like my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III did, to help pay for the new Les Paul Jr Special.

Experience

Reaction score
I received a gloss yellow LP JR Special today. Set it up (lowered bridge and PUPs, checked intonation ... ), and it plays quite nicely. Very good tones from both PUPs, though the neck can get a wee bit muddy when digging in at full volume. Using both PUPs, to me, gets the best sound.

On several sites this has been mentioned: they have quite the odor! Whew! Oh well ... .

All that said, I think I will be sending mine back (got the MF $679ish deal which was great!), for as nice as it is, the guitars I already own (with P90s) already cover most of what this does. No biggie, but I guess I was expecting something more (and honestly, I can't really say what that is/was :) ).

For the price, yes, GREAT bang-for-the-buck!

Clamdigger

Reaction score
Wow—great deal from MF on that guitar... was it a coupon situation?

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
You can still find killer deals on 50 era ones as well ( try to get a later50 era one as the early ones do eventually get bridge lean problems), I know I love mine.

Latest Threads