Gibson Les Paul Junior Finish Issues/Questions

dasherf17

Reaction score
So I've always wanted a LP Junior. Finally decided to pull the trigger on one last week. It came yesterday and from a playability/sound perspective it's fantastic.

Finish on the body/neck/headstock are flawless. Fretboard needs some oil, but that's easily correctable. My concern is the area where the rosewood board meets the neck. It's not the most even thing in the world. There's dips/some uneven joints and some areas where the lacquer seems to not have adhered well and fisheyed/pinholed. Speaking of the finish - it sure seems thickly applied.

From a playability standpoint - I cant feel or tell any of it. The guitar feels good to play, sounds good.

I feel like if I send it back for an exchange, the next one won't sound or play like this one, and may or may not have finish imperfections. I'm wondering if I should just live with it. Is this normal for this price bracket at Gibson? I thought the new ownership was a bit better with the QC, but maybe not.

Just wanting to get some other folks opinions'. I know it's not a custom shop, but would this type of stuff bother the rest of you, or would you just play it and enjoy it?

Thanks! View attachment 542787 View attachment 542783 View attachment 542784 View attachment 542785 View attachment 542786 View attachment 542787
She's a keeper...as you said there's no guarantee the next one would be better or play as well, as you seem to like that aspect right now.
I recall Juniors being the budget of the beasts in playability and build...I WOULD think in the 21st century that part would change, given modern production AND cost...
But it plays and sounds good...says a lot to me...
See what you CAN do, tho and hope for the best.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I didn't want to say anything cause last I read you updated us that you were keeping it. But now that you seem set on returning it I'll give my 2 cents.

I sold Gibson guitars for many years. I've seen many flaws, marks, dings, imperfections. I've never quite seen anything like the screwed up fingerboard line and lacquer on that Junior of yours. I would have returned that guitar faster than mulberry moves through a goose. And if a customer of mine brought that in to me I wouldn't blame them in the slightest and would make damn sure they got a real beauty in exchange.

I've seen a few comments about Gibson QC as of late. Nothing to really offer but an anecdote; I just took home a 2020 Classic that is the cleanest, nicest off the shelf Gibson that I've ever owned. I mean it is immaculate and perfect in every way. My brother has bought three in the last year and they were all excellent as well. There's always lemons like your Junior, but I'm not sure it's a widespread thing.

Last edited:

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I didn't want to say anything cause last I read you updated us that you were keeping it. But now that you seem set on returning it I'll give my 2 cents.

I sold Gibson guitars for many years. I've seen many flaws, marks, dings, imperfections. I've never quite seen anything like the screwed up fingerboard line and lacquer on that Junior of yours. I would have returned that guitar faster than mulberry moves through a goose. And if a customer of mine brought that in to me I wouldn't blame them in the slightest and would make damn sure they got a real beauty in exchange.

I've seen a few comments about Gibson QC as of late. Nothing to really offer but an anecdote; I just took home a 2020 Classic that is cleanest, nicest off the shelf Gibson that I've ever owned. I mean it is immaculate and perfect in every way. My brother has bought three in the last year and they were all excellent as well. There's always lemons like your Junior, but I'm not sure it's a widespread thing.

I wish I would have experienced the same with my Classic - I received two back to back guitars with obvious flaws. The neck pocket was so poor in the finish that the seller upgraded me to a Standard at no additional cost.

pic of neck pocket stain defect attached - how that made it past the factory and then the seller is really surprising.

PHOTO_20201223_035134.jpg

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I wish I would have experienced the same with my Classic - I received two back to back guitars with obvious flaws. The neck pocket was so poor in the finish that the seller upgraded me to a Standard at no additional cost.

pic of neck pocket stain defect attached - how that made it past the factory and then the seller is really surprising.

View attachment 543478
Oh wow, that's pretty bad. I'm always interested in seeing flaws. Thanks for sharing!

Latest Threads