Gibson Les Paul Junior Finish Issues/Questions

98Redbird

Reaction score
So I've always wanted a LP Junior. Finally decided to pull the trigger on one last week. It came yesterday and from a playability/sound perspective it's fantastic.

Finish on the body/neck/headstock are flawless. Fretboard needs some oil, but that's easily correctable. My concern is the area where the rosewood board meets the neck. It's not the most even thing in the world. There's dips/some uneven joints and some areas where the lacquer seems to not have adhered well and fisheyed/pinholed. Speaking of the finish - it sure seems thickly applied.

From a playability standpoint - I cant feel or tell any of it. The guitar feels good to play, sounds good.

I feel like if I send it back for an exchange, the next one won't sound or play like this one, and may or may not have finish imperfections. I'm wondering if I should just live with it. Is this normal for this price bracket at Gibson? I thought the new ownership was a bit better with the QC, but maybe not.

Just wanting to get some other folks opinions'. I know it's not a custom shop, but would this type of stuff bother the rest of you, or would you just play it and enjoy it?

Thanks!
IMG_3977 (1).jpg
IMG_3981 (1).jpg
IMG_3980 (1).jpg
IMG_3979 (1).jpg
IMG_3978 (1).jpg
IMG_3977 (1).jpg

dumeril7

Reaction score
Hmmm. Everybody has different tolerance levels for these kinds of things and mine is usually pretty high. But I'd probably send that one back. The gaps between the fretboard and the neck are pretty egregious in that 2nd photo IMO, and I'd be very surprised if I couldn't feel that. I can tell they used filler to even it out on other parts of the neck so I'm not sure how they missed that underside. There's no definitive wrong or right choice here, but this one would exceed my "just let it slide" threshold.

D7

Last edited:

LSAR

Reaction score
IMO sound and playability are the prime concerns for the instrument itself, but that's no reason to pay full price for something that isn't full quality. If you really care about the way that one plays and sounds, I'd say let the vendor know you're willing to keep it at a discounted/b-stock price and see what they offer...since that's what that guitar is, whether marked as such or not. A bit of a ledge on the side of a Gibson neck is definitely not unheard of, but that one looks like a bit much at least in the 2nd pic.

For me, at the price they charge for these I consider a properly built and finished neck to be characteristic of the bare minimum. That'd be a return for me at full price, maybe not if the vendor is willing to do the right thing.

98Redbird

Reaction score
Hmmm. Everybody has different tolerance levels for these kinds of things and mine is usually pretty high. But I'd probably send that one back. The gaps between the fretboard and the neck are pretty egregious in that 2nd photo IMO, and I'd be very surprised if I couldn't feel that. I can tell they used filler to even it out on other parts of the neck so I'm not sure how they missed that underside. There's no definitive wrong or right choice here, but this one would exceed my "just let it slide" threshold.

D7
So I went back down and looked at this again, I think my first photo may have exaggerated it a little bit. I was trying to get the light to strike it as well as possible as it's hard to get these things to turn up sometimes in pictures.

It's still there, but for me, the way I play anyways, I do not feel that discrepancy. Someone else very well may.

My other concern was with anything structurally weakening over time in that area. My guess would have been no, but wanted to make sure.

Here's a few more pictures of the area:

IMG_3986.jpg
IMG_3985.jpg
IMG_3984.jpg
IMG_3983.jpg
IMG_3982.jpg

dumeril7

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional photos. Personally, I'd still send it back. That seam gap would be just too big for me to ignore, and I'd definitely feel it. That said, I don't think it's a structural issue. The fretboard is glued on most of its underside surface. It's not going anywhere. It's just a fit and finish issue. As I said before, it's a personal decision whether to send that back or not. But I don't think there's anything to worry about from a reliability point of view.

D7

Jim Klein

Reaction score
you could fill it in using one of those touch up pens from stewmac.. just a little at a time , let it dry repeat until its up to the surface and paper it smooth with some 600 grit down to 1000 and polish it. like drop filling a dent..use the clear lac. pen.

98Redbird

Reaction score
you could fill it in using one of those touch up pens from stewmac.. just a little at a time , let it dry repeat until its up to the surface and paper it smooth with some 600 grit down to 1000 and polish it. like drop filling a dent..use the clear lac. pen.
That's actually a good idea. I looked it up, would Stewmac Clear Gloss Lacquer item number 7050 be the correct one?

Dilver

Reaction score
I don’t get it. My 2018 came perfect, had none of those issues and that was 3 years ago. You shouldn’t have to touch up anything. Send it back.

Last edited:

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I have owned many Gibson guitars with no binding - none of mine have had issues as I see in your images. Yours looks pretty extreme. We have seen more than a few of these QC posts in the last few weeks. I really have to wonder what is going on at Gibson.

Yours is really poor QC and build. I would never accept that. It looks like an amateur build.

endial

Reaction score
I would rock the snot out of that thing. Sure, it's flawed, but if it brings the goods I'd take it. I guess it boils down to what is more important to you.

You def deserved the discount in this case, even though it's in a typically unseen area. Glad you can't feel it.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
I figured that since you took the discount you are keeping the guitar , so that is how I would deal with it. not sure about the number but I got a "ColorTone " clear gloss touch-up marker from stewmac. worked well for my project ..you might need 2 for that job ,tape off the area and go slow layer it in rather than trying to fill it all at once..just a way to repair it. I have one but it has no big flaws like that . they are good players. good luck.

Latest Threads