Gibson Les Paul Horror stories?

dillonbell1991

Reaction score
Hey guys.new to the forum.
I was wanting to get your stories of when you first got your les paul or pauls.. i have a 2011 50s tribute burst"dark burst". I bought used in 2016 from GC. I got a steal for it.. i paid $450 and the guy couldn't find the soft case for me so I ended up with a brand new gibson hsrdshell csse for it.i was excited and all giddy. I kept it stock for a week and didn't like the neck or bridge pups.. i gutted out the pcb board with quick connects in it and put a wiring kit in it with dimarzio 36th neck pickups in both bridge and neck.. then i went to go have a new bridge and bone nut installed at Austin Vintage Guitars. The saddles were cut v shaped and the nut was god... fucked up.. like real bad.. you will see in the pic then next string change i put a aluminum tailpiece on.. after that i love my les paul... its my go to guitar when i play.. its been through so much.. the quality control was bad back then.. really i don't know how my guitar made it out of factory the way the nut slot was. I also see why i paid 450..

Attachments

sonar1

Reaction score
I always liked the neck on those ‘50’s Tributes.

Scored!

Glad it worked out in the end.

MSB

Reaction score
sloppy nuts and crappy bridges are not considered out of the ordinary for some Gibson owners.

the electronics are personal tastes, but glad you got it sorted to your liking

dillonbell1991

Reaction score
sloppy nuts and crappy bridges are not considered out of the ordinary for some Gibson owners.

Yep.. the nut sits a little lower than usual now. Thats how bad the nut area was. The bottom of the nut was rounded instead of being flat or straight... thats why the headstock side of nut is a little shaved if you notice.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Looks to be a gap between the fingerboard and nut. Perhaps it was replaced at some point and then filed down too much?
It’s always cool seeing a LP used so much that it has worn like that!

Robert Parker

Reaction score
My only true LP horror stories all surround a broken headstock. Watching your guitar fall - in slow motion, knowing you can do nothing - and seeing the headstock go skittering across a floor.... Well, that was a pretty horrifying experience.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
I've had an LP Standard with a sloppy nut... I've seen ones with fingernail dents in the wood under the nitro. Clear as day, still passed the QC.

Nuts and bridges are easy to replace.. But if it plays nice, those are easy fixes....

And I don't think the fingernail dent would impact the sound....

Pappy58

Reaction score
So you bought a five year old beater from GC but blame these issues on the factory? :dunno:

dillonbell1991

Reaction score
Looks to be a gap between the fingerboard and nut. Perhaps it was replaced at some point and then filed down too much?
It’s always cool seeing a LP used so much that it has worn like that!
I had the nut replaced 3 years ago.. the guitar tech that did the work said the nut was off and had to square the bottom where the nut sits it was rounded.he didnt know how gibson did it or sold it like that.. yes there is a hair size gap between the fretboard and nut

dillonbell1991

Reaction score
So you bought a five year old beater from GC but blame these issues on the factory? :dunno:
No it was still stock.. it was still the plastic nut they were using in the early 10's. And the bridge the slots were cut v shaped instead of rounded at the saddles. I lived in austin and bought it at the GC it coulda been played live or just sat around and was played here and there.. the nut slot was from factory.. the guitar tech i went to has worked on alot of musicians and famous musicians guitars in Austin. he said with the nut slot that shouldn't have come out of factory like that

Latest Threads