Gibson Les Paul Heritage 80

Caretaker

Reaction score
I have what is believed to be a 1980(ish) Les Paul Heritage 80.
Let me explain.
The serial number is different from the Heritage 80 setup,but also does not match most Gibson setups but it is clearly a Gibson.
I bought it from a band member of a famous(not super famous) musician.
The name has no bearing on the price I was just asked not to make it public knowledge.
I will tell the new owner if it sells.
Bought in England while on tour around 79/80.
Thought to be a pre Heritage 80 sent overseas(Gibson sometimes did this to test sales but usually Japan).
All pots/caps/pickups have been changed.
Refret
New bone nut
Currently has Fralin True Pafs, Toneman 58 Harness.
Heritage 80 Truss Rod cover there when I got it.
Plays amazing.
ONLY selling due to potential cash crisis on the near horizon.
Partial trades considered but mostly cash.
Heavy(just under 10 lbs on bathroom scale) but I will weigh it again if needed.
I had the pickups and electronics(had duncans and aftermarket harness already)
Refinish/ quality relic/aging.
Not original but period correct Chainsaw case,
Considering what it is, the changes, etc, I`ll start at $2895.
Includes shipping/paypal.
I have over $3500 into it.
CONUS ONLY

Partial trades considered:
B&G guitars
Guild Bluesbird
Other lesser Les Pauls(Studio, etc)
P90 guitars
MIJ Les Pauls(Edwards, Burny, etc)
The right Tele.
Partscaster(quality) considered.
NOT looking for Floyds/pointy/strats/acoustics.
Cash offers always considered but insults will not be responded to.
I really don`t want to sell it but life interferes sometimes.
1585016782975.png
1585017069651.png
1585017069651.png

Last edited:

Caretaker

Reaction score
Up
Potential deal but still available.
Buyer fell on hard times with job so still available unless we work something out.

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
man this is a great piece and I am not doubting authenticity and trust your judgement....

The TRC is for a Heritage 80 Elite, which were all quilted maple tops, also the Elite should have an ebony board.

The specs are closer to a Standard 80, for those who are not sure.

and I think that is really what you mean, but it is not quite clear, and I was really just curious.........

Caretaker

Reaction score
man this is a great piece and I am not doubting authenticity and trust your judgement....

The TRC is for a Heritage 80 Elite, which were all quilted maple tops, also the Elite should have an ebony board.

The specs are closer to a Standard 80, for those who are not sure.

and I think that is really what you mean, but it is not quite clear, and I was really just curious.........
Another "Norlin Mafia" member(an endearing term I assure you) has a theory about some of the idiosyncrasies of this guitar.
It`s probably one of the very early ones. I don`t like the word prototype unless it is stamped on a guitar from the factory but it stands to reason that there are early versions with specs that were abandoned or added, etc, until the final product was decided on.
It was bought on in England in late 79/early 80(so I was told) and was bought used.
So maybe Gibson sent some over there as a test run?
Who knows.
I encourage people with more knowledge(like yourself) to chime in with any/all info.

KS 5150

Reaction score
If the Canadian $ hadn't just fallen on the floor, I would be interested....very, very cool. GLWS.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
During our initial investigation into the oddities of this piece I, at least, was confident it is a legit Gibson Heritage 80 Standard.

I found that Gibson (surprise) was using whatever they had laying around on these models, often mixing parts from different series, including necks. I have found this documented.

In the case of this example, it has the Mahogany neck of an Elite under the rosewood of the Standard. The top would also be typical for a Standard.

Same drilled wiring tunnel as the period and other construction details.

I have also read that pre-Henry days Gibson was not adverse to helping a touring musician by providing them with a second or something they had laying about to use. The idea was they were supposed to return them after, many didn't.

I'm not saying that this applies here, but given OP's story of how it was purchased and the unusual serial number, I just offer it as a possibility.

IIRC this was a rather somber dark cherry burst before the refin sort of like this one.

GLWS OP!!

I would buy this myself if I could scratch up that kind of money.

Last edited:

Caretaker

Reaction score
I guess with everything going on in the country(and world) there are not a lot of guitars selling.
When this wasn`t for sale I had at least one offer on it every month or so.

Caretaker

Reaction score
ttt

Several offers for straight trades and multi guitar trades but I need a big chunk of cash if a trade is involved.

Plain tops need love too

1583450004262.jpeg

2015 R8 TH in all her glory

Gibson's First Authorized Boutique Builder

These are the first '58-spec models from the very first run by Gibson's first authorized boutique builder.

Latest Threads