Gibson Les Paul HD 6X Pro

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Gibson Les Paul HD 6X Pro ?

I'm tempted to buy one but get the feeling it may be a bad call.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think its a brilliant idea, but I'd wait for the technology to mature first. Everytime something 'new' comes out in the modelling world the first version is usually a dog.

Give it a few months for developers to get on board for more software and sounds that actually work and sound good.

As far as the guitar itself goes, its a Les Paul, and it plays and sounds like a Les Paul should... so if you bought one to use as a regular guitar with the option of digital recording/effects, why not? But the digital part has some catching up to do... All digital modelling companies have to do the same catching up. They've just been re-hashing the same stuff for years, and claiming it sounds like TUBE. They'll get it right someday.

MIDNIGHT

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i agree with loki.. it's the same w/ stuff like game consoles.. XD .. like wen the xbox 360 and the ps3 1st came out, everbody said it's smart to just wait a bit since there's supposedly a lot of bugs and such w/ the new machines.. :rofl:

but if you're itching bad enough, try checking other sites to get reviews on it (sweetwater, musiciansfriend.com, guitarcenter.com etc..)

peace :D :hippie:

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The big issue for me with that guitar is that it seems like Gibson almost apologetically say it's great for 'in the studio'. This implies that it's a bloody headache for live work.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The big issue for me with that guitar is that it seems like Gibson almost apologetically say it's great for 'in the studio'. This implies that it's a bloody headache for live work.
I think it depends on what you want to do with it. All the advanced features will require a laptop with a floorboard, or some sort of midi triggering system or something else to use live... but as far as the guitar tone goes, a Paul is a Paul, right? :D

John Platko

Reaction score
If I understand it correctly, you can't plug the guitar right into the Ethernet port on a computer and use the digital signal directly but you must use BOB to bring the digital signal back to analog and then re-sample it with your computer hardware. That doesn't seem right.

Does anyone know if Gibson has signed up any other companies to offer products that are compatible with the digital output?

It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to use in a live setting if you are mostly interested in using it to send a clean guitar signal and a mic signal back to the mix and have a monotor sent back to you.

I'm not sure what you do with seperate signals for each string, or how you would control that live or otherwise. Any ideas on what to do with that feature?

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You could do some neato arrangements of songs, especially with the touch sensitivity, where you could finger pick lightly for an acoustic sound, and then strum for an electric sound, or have the 3 bass strings set to distorted, and the treble strings to be distorted and echo'd, or effected in some way, and so some sort of picked/strummed heavy rhythm with lead tones overtop... I dunno. Could make for a new way of playing the guitar.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How hard you attack the string can make different sounds.

John Platko

Reaction score
Can the HD 6x pro make different sounds based on how hard you attack the strings?

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Its all about picking dynamics. A soft touch sends a softer input to the computer which registers a different tone, or effect or whatever you choose, and a harder attack can produce an entirely different tone, effect or even emulated guitar tones, like acoustic, or whatever models they give you to choose from.

Its highly customizable because all players have a different pick attack, so you can set the dynamic range personally so that it will register to your playing style.

Again, I don't know how useful this is, but I can imagine having multiple guitars/sounds/effects that are switchable just by your playing style can be handy. No more tap dancing on pedals I guess..

There is a video out there of a guy giving a full demo of the guitar... look on youtube maybe. I also saw a spot on it on the Discovery Channel that looked pretty neat. Would make for great silent recording, if the tones are usable.

John Platko

Reaction score
I don't understand what the Gibson HD 6x or BOB has to do with that feature. It seems to me that all of that is in the cakewalk software and would work for any guitar. Of course with the Gibson HD you can use it on split or individual strings so you have more flexibility on how you use it. Is that correct?

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yea, and apparently you can even set it so it only effects strings above or below a certain fret as well... its supposed to be entirely customizable. You can also place the pickups 'virtually' anywhere on the guitar or in any configuration you'd like.

I've had first hand experience with that, using the Line 6 Variax and the software that goes with that guitar, and you can do some neat things by placing a pickup on the neck, or wherever you want. Neat tones... not all usable, but fun to play with.

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Loki, you are confusing the Gibson Digital guitar with the Roland VG guitar system.

The pickup modeling, and fret identification you speak of is in the Roland.

John Platko

Reaction score
Is Roland going to build a MAGIC interface into their products? That seems to be what is needed.

Also needed is MAGIC firmware on an Ethernet nic card and a cakewalk driver. That would allow the guitar sampled digital to get directly into any computer. I imagine that such a PCI based interface would make it much easier for companies like roland to play in the MAGIC world too.

Latest Threads