Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Long Scale (and similar)?

ErictheRed

Reaction score
So I've become a lot more interested in heavy music lately (mostly Swedish bands like Opeth and Katatonia), and I've been down tuning a half step. I'd like to go a full step down (D-G-C-F-A-D). I have other guitars that I could use also, but on my Les Paul with 10s, I already feel like a half step down is too "loose." Some Googling revealed that Gibson has made a Custom Shop Les Paul with a 60s slim taper neck and a 25.5" scale length, like a Fender. I'm curious if anyone has ever played one of them? There's a beauty on Reverb right now, but it's pretty expensive. Any reviews or thoughts on this Gibson Les Paul Long Scale?

Edit: I currently see a gorgeous Gibson Les Paul Class 5 listed on Ebay as having a Long Scale, but I think that's incorrect; as far as I'm aware, Class 5 Les Pauls have the regular 24.75" scale length.

I've also considered getting a baritone guitar of some kind, nothing too extreme, but maybe something with a 26.5" or 27" scale length.

Last edited:

Side Burns

Reaction score
The bucket head is a 27” scale Or just get beefyslinky on a regular scale LP. I do Drop C tuning on a regular scale and its fine with the EB strings

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm aware of the Buckethead guitars, but have never played one. I actually don't like the look very much, though if there was ever one near me to check out I definitely would.

No-one really has experience with the Custom Shop Long Scale guitars, huh?

Side Burns

Reaction score
I don’t blame you on that look, but you can always put black plastics and replace the harness. Make it look like a custom with no gold hw.

Good luck on the search dude :cheers2:

Side Burns

Reaction score
.... wow

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Bumping this in the hope that someone has experience with a Custom Long Scale that they can share.

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Can’t help you but will bump this thread by saying wowsie! Binding at the back and they made them as goldtop too. Pretty in my book!

jojo

Reaction score
You could just use heavier gauge strings . A lot of people tune that low on Gibson’s. All mine are in drop c or c standard .

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I know that I can use heavier gauge strings, I'm asking about a particular guitar in this thread. Anyone with experience?

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I'm still kind of obsessed with these, but it's hard to find any. I see that one sold on Ebay in August for $3,345 including shipping, but the only one I see anywhere is listed on Reverb for $4,999 and the seller apparently automatically declines any offers below at least $3,500. I know because I've made an offer, I'm pretty obsessed!

Anyone know of one for sale? I'll keep an eye out and check TGP as well, etc.

smk506

Reaction score
Any interest in putting a kit together? Precision guitar kit offers long scale as an option. Gives you the chance to pick your own hardware, neck profile, finish and it would surely come in much less than $3k.

My ‘53 style is a daily player for me.

bum

Reaction score
I have no experience with the Custom but the Nighthawk is full scale, could be an option if you dig those

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Any interest in putting a kit together? Precision guitar kit offers long scale as an option. Gives you the chance to pick your own hardware, neck profile, finish and it would surely come in much less than $3k.

My ‘53 style is a daily player for me.
I may look into that, good tip, thanks!

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I have no experience with the Custom but the Nighthawk is full scale, could be an option if you dig those
Funny, I had a Nighthawk briefly that I got in trade (actually two, one with a Floyd and one without), and I just couldn't bond with it for whatever reason. Perhaps I should try again, but the bridge pickup wasn't to my liking and there were very few slanted humbuckers to choose from that fit the Nighthawk.

Reactions: bum

Latest Threads