Gibson Les Paul Custom or Axcess Custom?

80smetalhead

Reaction score
Been looking at both the Gibson Les Paul Custom and the Les Paul Axcess in Ebony.

I was going to buy the Les Paul Custom in Ebony until I saw that they now make an Axcess in the same color. I never considered getting an Axcess before because I didn’t like the previous colors.

While I like the “best of both worlds” the Axcess delivers I wonder how much different it would sound compared to a regular Custom because of its construction. And it’s not like either one of these is hanging in my local guitar shop to try out. Opinions?

craigeymac

Reaction score
Im old school so I would say a Custom, a normal Custom if you like. Timeless, youll still love it in 30 years

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
For me, it would be the Custom, but ... I do not even use the trem bars on my Strats, let alone a Floyd Rose. To me, the Axcess is the guitar for the guitarist who hates having to put down his Les Paul to play a tremelo-equipped guitar. If that is you, then getting the Axcess seems the no brainer.

jskidder

Reaction score
I'd go Custom, but I also have no desire or need for a FR.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Commenting because I was curious about this as well.

I love 80’s shredder guitars and was looking at the Axcess a few months back. I ended up with a Standard 60’s which I love. It’s my first Gibson Les Paul so I wanted something more traditional and I have other guitars with the Floyd rose.
BUT, the axcess seems like a great blend of the two designs, i haven’t tried one yet but on paper it looks great, I may still get one in the future. The Custom Axcess is gorgeous. Maybe I’m crazy but I think it would look really sleek with a single bridge pickup.

Last edited:

dbwalker

Reaction score
I want a hard tail axcess custom, just cant justify it as I have bought 4 guitars in the last year and have another being built for me right now, but its definitely on my must have list, I doubt it will sound much different if any different, made with same woods same pickups and hardware, only difference is the neck joint/contour and no binding on the back I believe

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I want a hard tail axcess custom, just cant justify it as I have bought 4 guitars in the last year and have another being built for me right now, but its definitely on my must have list, I doubt it will sound much different if any different, made with same woods same pickups and hardware, only difference is the neck joint/contour and no binding on the back I believe
I believe it also has a thinner body, I always wondered if that had a noticeable effect on the tone.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I would buy a non-Gibson import before I bought an Axcess. You get more for the money— and these alternatives have this concept perfected.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I would buy a non-Gibson import before I bought an Axcess. You get more for the money— and these alternatives have this concept perfected.
Reminded me of this video from GuitarMax, looks awesome. Wish there was an easier way to get these guitars from Japan. With shipping, import fees, and not being able to try out or easily return it seemed like a risk ordering.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Agile AL-3210 .... its a lot of maple and its heavy lol but ill LUV it 4 ever.

Nintari

Reaction score
Regular custom. Timeless. Classic. Never goes out of style.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
For me it would depend on what I already have. I like all my guitars to be a little different from each other and to offer something different.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I’ll reply to my own post— but for a few thousand dollars, you get a cool neck joint, a Floyd, and some average pickups with Gibson. The 490/498s don’t know what they want to be. They want to be both hot and PAFish at the same time. They do neither particularly well. I have them still in my Custom Lite, but swapped them in my SG.

You actually get a proper Floyd, but they are an easy drop in for any Floyd guitar— if you don’t like Asian Floyds.

If you ever want to sell it, it will be a slow sale, and you’ll take a bath if you bought it new.

You do get an actual Gibson with the right inlays and horn, but the neck joint and body are different.

For $1000, you can buy a really nice LTD.... maybe even an ESP— where people expect this sort of thing.

gcbike

Reaction score
The axcess should sound same as custom lite

Dark Horse

Reaction score
I’ll reply to my own post— but for a few thousand dollars, you get a cool neck joint, a Floyd, and some average pickups with Gibson. The 490/498s don’t know what they want to be. They want to be both hot and PAFish at the same time. They do neither particularly well. I have them still in my Custom Lite, but swapped them in my SG.

You actually get a proper Floyd, but they are an easy drop in for any Floyd guitar— if you don’t like Asian Floyds.

If you ever want to sell it, it will be a slow sale, and you’ll take a bath if you bought it new.

You do get an actual Gibson with the right inlays and horn, but the neck joint and body are different.

For $1000, you can buy a really nice LTD.... maybe even an ESP— where people expect this sort of thing.
I wasn't very familiar with the Axcess Custom so when I first saw your question, I thought it might be pretty cool having a Floyd and all. But yeah seeing the humbuckers it comes with kind of eased me away from it. I have that set on my studio and they are great clean, not too bad dirty but as per my first response, I like my guitars to all be a little different from each other. I have Floyds on two of my other guitars.

I'm going to be difficult here and suggest a Classic if you don't already have one..https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAI9Q269/Les-Paul-Classic/Ebony

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my six LP's came with a 490's set. They didn't stay for long. Put some SD's in that guitar.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I would go with the axcess hardtail. It looks like the regular custom from the front, but is more comfortable to play on the back.

A not-so-classic looking that has some of the axcess features is the LP modern.. Don't get me wrong, the LP Modern and the LP Axcess Custom are two different leagues (custom shop vs gib usa... etc.)., but if you would like to get something easy to find and not as expensive, that's another option.
If I really wanted, I could get a LP Modern in sparkle black, change up some appointments to look more traditional. Again, LP axcess and modern are two different monsters and should be treated as such... but they do share some features that could save the buyer a few bucks.

1618075333467.png

Torshalla

Reaction score
The axcess is pretty amazing... so much easier to play.
But if you want a custom maybe you want the heavy custom tone? The axcess does notbhave as much wood...
Then again if you play it with EMGs or very high gain it won t make a difference :)

Latest Threads