Gibson Les Paul Custom - FAKE OR REAL?

Kaipa

Reaction score
I have seen a 2009 Les Paul Custom for sale but before I bid I need to make sure it is 100% genuine before I purchase it. Please could someone verify this as I have tried searching the serial number online and nothing has been found on Gibsons data base - also on the back of the headstock there is a Zakk Wylde logo, is this common? I'm not overly familiar with Gibson guitars so any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Here is the eBay link - Gibson Les Paul Custom | eBay

vypitk.jpg

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
If that serial number follows the normal format it would mean that the guitar was stamped on the 909th day of 1952 :hmm:

BillB1960

Reaction score
Without even looking at the auction photos I can tell you that the serial number is wrong, it's etched into the plastic finish not stamped into the wood then lacquered over. Also the custom shop logo is wrong, what the hell does "SooJMN" mean? It's just another OCR defect from scanning a real logo which says "Since 1894"

After looking at the auction photos it's the typical bridge/TRC/control knob placement issues nevermind the fact that there's no ZW bullseye painted on the front and the neck hasn't had the finish removed.

Reaction score
If that serial number follows the normal format it would mean that the guitar was stamped on the 909th day of 1952 :hmm:
That's hysterical. I'm laughing so hard.

Don't these counterfeiters think there ways to check that kind of stuff now? Even the dummies have to notice all of the "How to spot a fake Gibson" links all over ebay these days.

BillB1960

Reaction score
That's hysterical. I'm laughing so hard.

Don't these counterfeiters think there ways to check that kind of stuff now? Even the dummies have to notice all of the "How to spot a fake Gibson" links all over ebay these days.

They don't care when they have dipshits like this doing their 'advertising' for them:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3S3nPS9Vzo]How to spot a fake Chinese Les Paul Supreme - YouTube[/ame]

cbryan

Reaction score
Would be interesting to see the rest of the body?

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No need to see anymore.

That serial number has been fired off more times than a machine gun.

thestratdude

Reaction score
If you'd shown a photo of the front of the headstock it would be REAL easy to tell because those Custom "diamond"-shaped things below the Gibson logo are always too short on the fakes. You can spot that 20 feet away.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
I do remember '52 being a particularly long year. But I was only 6, so they all seemed long to be back then.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
If you'd shown a photo of the front of the headstock it would be REAL easy to tell because those Custom "diamond"-shaped things below the Gibson logo are always too short on the fakes. You can spot that 20 feet away.

We didn't need to see the front. Just from seeing the back of it we could tell that the serial number was ridiculous,they had a Zakk logo on a non Zakk guitar, and they buggered up translating the logo.

Zack

Reaction score
if it has a custom shop logo it shouldnt be made in the usa. because its made in the custom shop not usa

Latest Threads