Stonehead

Reaction score
Here's mine, bought it on Saturday.
DSC04662.jpg

DSC04667.jpg

DSC04664.jpg

JMB1984

Reaction score
Very nice! I like both the Natural and the Ebony. Not sure how I'm going to decide.

Old Reliable

Reaction score
Lemon oil. The board on my classic custom was dry as the sahara. I have never seen a fingerboard soak up oil like this one.

Stonehead

Reaction score
Lemon oil. The board on my classic custom was dry as the sahara. I have never seen a fingerboard soak up oil like this one.

Just did mine and yeah, it did soak up a lot of oil and darkened the fretboard quit a bit. cool thanks!:)

KSPaul

Reaction score
Not that i mind the lighter looking fretboard, but what type of oil do people recommend?

I think most everyone just uses lemon oil.

Just did mine and yeah, it did soak up a lot of oil and darkened the fretboard quit a bit. cool thanks!:)

FYI - The instructions on the Dunlop System 65 Lemon Oil bottles say that it should not be used on Maple boards.

It's been my understanding that you would simply use guitar polish on a maple board (same as you would use on the top). I have no idea if that's also true for "baked" maple.

Stonehead

Reaction score
FYI - The instructions on the Dunlop System 65 Lemon Oil bottles say that it should not be used on Maple boards.

It's been my understanding that you would simply use guitar polish on a maple board (same as you would use on the top). I have no idea if that's also true for "baked" maple.

Well as i understand it the baked maple does not have a coating on it (urethane or whatever they use on Fenders and such). When I applied it the wood just sucked it right up. I applied 4 or 5 coatings until it wasn't absorbing as fast. Then wiped the excess off restrung and was was it. It really darkened the fretboard quite a bit i was surprised.
I have been trying to source more info on the use of oil and most are using lemon oil or linseed oil on their LPCC's. No one has reported any negatives on the use of it. But thanks for the heads up anyway. If i find anything else to the contrary I will post it.

mrjasey

Reaction score

according to a review that Andertons music posted on youtube for the classic customs, gibson said that it is fine to use "lemon oil" on baked maple. not sure if it is listed anywhere on the website or anything

Metlupass2

Reaction score
Pretty sure I read it From Gibson in a FAQ somewhere that it was fine. I use Dunlop lemon oil myself and lick the excess oil off the fingerboard to get that extra shine as a finishing touch.

straybeat

Reaction score
I played a natural Classic Custom (again) 2 hours ago at GC. Is there a difference between it and a "real" Custom? Nothing I could tell except bragging rights when you spend $4000? The only thing that bothers me, personally, is that the new ones don't have an ebony fretboard (I like the hard-feeling smoothness of them). That's the only difference, and only because it's visibly there. Shut your eyes and you can't tell which one you're holding.

twitch

Reaction score
Im sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but is the CC chambered or weight relieved? I only ask because I like a heavy LP. There are some tonal differences Ive noticed, but the weight is more important to me.

Latest Threads