Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute vs. Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute

Xyrium

Reaction score
I agree with the masses, go with the P90s! That exact guitar may be my next. BTW, as also mentioned, Studios are multipiece, don't get hung up on it. I have three guitars left, one Trad and two Studios, and I pick up my Studios quite frequently. Just fantastic guitars.

pillbug

Reaction score
The obvious difference is the 11 has p90 pickups, hard case and rosewood fret board and the 2012 has humbucking pickups and a baked maple fret board and maybe no case.
As others have said, the 2012 has baked maple fretboard and dark back (painted). The 2011 is likely to have rosewood and brown (unpainted) back.

Burst Boy

Reaction score
In 2010 Gibson released a limited run (and it really was limited) of P90 50's tribute with rosewood 'board. Also had pointers on the knobs and orange sprague caps.

In 2011 they did a 60's version. Still limited. Same guitar but 60's neck, rosewood board and no pointers (I had one).

The 2010 '50s also had a see-through control cavity cover so the orange caps could be seen. They went like hot cakes when released. I was so GASing for a Honey Burst but had to settle for a Cherry Burst. I also remember that some went up for sale on eBay for around 2000 US dollars soon after production stopped; ridiculous prices but such was the demand. Mine has at least a 6-piece back and looks like it's put together from scraps but I don't care, it's an awesome playing and sounding guitar.

The 2011 '60s release with P-90s and no pointers never had the see-through cover plate either.

MuddyRiverDrifter

Reaction score
Yes this......

And yep there were a handful of 50's Tributes that spilled into 2011..:)

I have 2-50's Tributes and h9
What is the difference between a 2011 Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute vs. a 2012 Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute? (So it means that the second name does not contain the "Studio" term.)

I have found 2 used LP Goldtops in my town, and I can't decide which one to choose.

Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute Electric guitar 200000 HUF eladó - GS Fanatic

Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute Humbucker Electric guitar 230000 HUF eladó - GS Fanatic

The first one is the 2011 Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute and the second one is a 2012 Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute.

What are the main differences?

One more question: the first one has Lollar P90 pickups. Do you know these? What are the personal experiences with them, especially regarding hum and noise?

Thanks in advance for helping me clarify this :)
I have a 2011 ebony les paul 50s tribute an mine has humbuckers. Did they get changed from single coil? It has the 50s neckan body profile maybe I'm reading an wrong but that's what I was told

MuddyRiverDrifter

Reaction score
Sounds promising, thanks for your answer!

Szia, köszönöm a tanácsot! Igen, egyre inkább úgy néz ki, hogy a P90-es lehet a befutó.

Thanks for the summary of differences! Baked maple sounds cool, but other than that, the 2011 with P90 stands out.

Thanks very much for your detailed answer and for sharing your own experience! Each of your advice has helped me to decide, and I see now the 2011 LP as a clear favorite. I'll post a video of it when I succeed to buy it:)
My 2011 50s tribute is ebony or black satin. Has humbuckers rosewood fretboard mahogany neck. I love it

Latest Threads