Gibson Launches "Murphy Lab"

jamhandy

Reaction score
"historically accurate"... does this mean that every so often a real turd gets produced on purpose, because back in the day not EVERY vintage guitar was a "great" one... in order to be "historically accurate" a certain percentage of turds need to be made and sold (for the same ridiculous price)...

Attila

Reaction score
I have seen several of the recent Hendrix SG Custom & Flying V models; IMHO the quality of the aging work on these is absolutely horrendous. I think the previous Gibson "in-house" aging was way better than this. Hopefully, the quality of the Murphy Lab work greatly improves (especially if they will be charging premium prices).

Torshalla

Reaction score
That sucks... Murphy has done amazing work, he seems to out great pride in his work so i struggle to understand why he would let Gibson create a Murphy lab and let poor quality aged guitars come out of it...

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my first thought also was, thats gunna cost. Its a great move though, esp the appointment of new guy in charge. I am happy with what i have, but if they are really going to overhaul the quality and accuracy of what they are putting out there will be a market for it for sure.

Mattcran

Reaction score
That sucks... Murphy has done amazing work, he seems to out great pride in his work so i struggle to understand why he would let Gibson create a Murphy lab and let poor quality aged guitars come out of it...

I don't think they're bad... Just different. They may grow on me. I thought I'd be anxious to buy the first one out, but initial impression is no desire. I saw an R9 in the wild with a picture of the COA and instead of "hand aged by historical expert Tom Murphy," they say "aged by artisans of the Murphy lab." It's just a downer for me because I feel like it's the end of an Era. I was willing to pay a higher price before because they were hand done by one guy. Kind of like a Fender Masterbuilt. Now it's just a different flavor of custom shop done by whoever.

Torshalla

Reaction score
I don't think they're bad... Just different. They may grow on me. I thought I'd be anxious to buy the first one out, but initial impression is no desire. I saw an R9 in the wild with a picture of the COA and instead of "hand aged by historical expert Tom Murphy," they say "aged by artisans of the Murphy lab." It's just a downer for me because I feel like it's the end of an Era. I was willing to pay a higher price before because they were hand done by one guy. Kind of like a Fender Masterbuilt. Now it's just a different flavor of custom shop done by whoever.
Businesswise the fact that they are securing the post Murphy time (he will retire eventually) is a smart move. If he sets up a lab and trains experts to do as good jobb as he can do then they ll have secured future business after he retires.
It is the end of an era though, as Tom probably will stop aging guitars himself.
Will make our Murphy aged LPs even more special though :)

Mike58

Reaction score
Well , I’m sure glad that I own my TM painted and aged, by him and not a “ laboratory” collaboration. I can’t see these losing value (but I never bought it to profit, just could not resist the old Vintage World run back in 1999)
I know the new guitars will be great and accurate and better than ever etc. But I’m more comfortable with my “ good wood year 40th Ann done the old fashioned way.
C8659EF3-08B8-44D8-9088-4471315B1835.jpeg

Mattcran

Reaction score
I guess the ultra aged are quite a markup over the lightly aged! I thought the lightly aged were looking somewhat reasonable originally.

Prospector

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Murphy painted ‘59 reissue back in 1994, and have spoken with Tom a couple of times at the Amigos Nashville Guitar Show. Tom is a talented artisan, but I have owned multiple better playing and sounding Les Pauls since then. The Murphy Lab is a marketing concept designed to appeal to affluent consumers.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess the ultra aged are quite a markup over the lightly aged! I thought the lightly aged were looking somewhat reasonable originally.

I wouldn’t even pay half of the asking price for this.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
the outer edges of those tailpiece ears are as sharp as a knife .. yeah, real authentic

guitarbob123

Reaction score
$14.5k is ridiculous (not a dig at Eddie’s btw, got my 68RI from them and it’s killer, they’re great guys)

I can’t understand how anyone justifies this over buying a normal RI and sending it to Historic Makeovers

daithesaes

Reaction score
Razor blades, steel wool, and freezer checking.

No one seems too concerned with how they might sound.

Or play.

But then maybe people who pay 10 gramd or more on a guitar don't play them?

Latest Threads