Gibson Launches "Murphy Lab"

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score

Gibson has announced that Tom Murphy, a pioneer in the world of electric guitar relic work, has joined the company to head up the newly-created Murphy Lab, which will function as a division of the Gibson Custom Shop focused on building historically accurate guitars.

In his role as Master Artisan, Murphy will lead the Lab in “re-imagining and implementing new ways of delivering the Gibson Custom Shop historic experience.”

"Tom was instrumental in the inception of the Gibson Custom Shop and developed the process of aging"
- Gibson CMO Cesar Gueikian
Said Gibson CMO Cesar Gueikian, “As we celebrate the 60th anniversary of the 1959 Les Paul Standard, I can’t think of a more exciting time to launch the Murphy Lab under the leadership of Tom, who was instrumental in the inception of the Gibson Custom Shop and developed the process of aging.”

Gibson has also announced the appointment of Sergio Villanueva as Head of Custom Shop. Villanueva comes to the Custom Shop after stints at Taylor and Fender, where he served as Senior Vice-President of Global Manufacturing.

“I am excited to bring Sergio into the Custom Shop for this leadership position at such a pivotal stage for Gibson,” said Gibson CEO James Curleigh.

“Sergio is a respected Luthier who will bring a renewed sense of artistry and operational excellence to the Custom Shop. He is the perfect fit to lead our Custom Shop team into the future.”

Attachments

Last edited:

cmcgov

Reaction score
I was wondering how they were going to push forward past 2019 with the no model updates or changes, best it can get.

Murphy Lab.

Is this another True Historic marketing method?

Here we go.

Looking at the rest of this post, does this also mean Gibson Custom Shop employees or leadership roles were let go to make room for Sergio Villanueva?

2019 to mark an end of an ERA? Last ones built before XYZ(name it yourself) changes and leadership roles?

1974 - 1981 Store Ordered years
1982-1992 Pre Historic Years
1993 - 2001 The Good Wood Years
2002 - 2006 Fret Years
2007 - 2011 Plek Years
2012 - Sandwhich Year
2013 - 2017 Hide Years
2018-2019 Have You Got It Yet Years

Last edited:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I'm really interested in seeing how they stack up.
If they can offer a similar product cheaper than "new guitar + makeover" (and having to ship it out), they might be on to something.
the words Cheaper and Gibson do not go together in the same sentence, I'm sure the new guitars will be superb with a hefty price increase to match ..

Subterfuge

Reaction score
these new Marketing guys at Gibson are as good as it gets, they are not missing the point by any stretch of the imagination, they know people are screaming for A) Relics and B) Authenticity or put another way, Accuracy and they are determined to deliver the goods, which I'm sure they are capable of ... Price Wise ?? check Wildwood's Website .. a Murphy Painted, Murphy Aged Les Paul is now north of 19K ... see where this is headed ? if you want the best soon you will have to break into that retirement fund...