Gibson L6S

CCK

Reaction score
Love the L6S, a good friend had one back in the mid-late 70's. He worked at a stereo and 8 track shop next door to a barber shop. The day he got it, I remember playing it through the mic input of a Pioneer cassette deck (for distortion), into a Marantz 4400 quadrophonic receiver, and for speakers, a pair of Altec Lansing Voice Of The Theatre's. After about 20 minutes of spirited playing at extreme volume, the red faced barber came banging on the window claiming we owed him for the two customers that had left from the noise. Ahhh, the good old days...

entresz

Reaction score
Hahahaha I bet it would've sounded pretty harsh ! Sounds like fun times though !

Kungphugrip

Reaction score
HNGD!
l6 S is one of my favorite Gibson models,i would love to get my hands
on a reissue!
these guitars are extremely! underrated

entresz

Reaction score
They sure are.... they are so versatile too. It is really like having a Les Paul, Tele, and Strat in the one instrument. With the Bill Lawrence pickups , it takes the guitar to the next level too. I can't recommend this particular model enough.

Quill

Reaction score
Fantastic guitar, and great mods.

Do you mind telling me exactly what bridge you have? Just put a B7 on a guitar, not entirely sure I can make it work with the ABR-1 style bridge I have on it ... that roller looks pretty good, better than others I've seen. Maybe it's the Stew-Mac?

entresz

Reaction score
My roller bridge is a Wilkinson, very inexpensive, but works perfectly, and sounds great. Noticeable change from the stock Gibson bridge; more sustain, and more highs.

My guitar tech offered to rewire it to the original 1970's L6S wiring, meaning I lose the single coil capabilities, but gain both pickups in series, semi-out of phase, and full out of phase. Not sure yet .....

Quill

Reaction score
Wilkinson - got it, thank you.

Have you played much with different out-of-phase sounds? I have ... the usefulness of that set-up seems to depend a lot on the pickups; it's good with some, less so with others ... and even then, it can be tricky to use well.

On the other hand, it seems uncommon for a humbucker to have a decent sound when it is split ... it can be ok but it's never quite right. Though the Bill Lawrence blade pickups are reputed to sound good both as humbuckers and when wired as single-coils.

Wouldn't hurt to try the original wiring - in more ordinary humbuckers, I've found the two coils in parallel is a more useful sound than a coil-split, clearer and lighter than series wiring, quite good for funky rhythm parts - but if you have one guitar that is all set up right now to give you all the sounds you need so you can work, you've pretty much got the dream-come-true guitar, haven't you?

entresz

Reaction score
Indeed you do; it's unusual regarding the coil splitting with these pickups, that there is almost no noise at all. Bill Lawrence has really worked out some magic design, because the 490R/498T pickups hummed like crazy. I'm not sure I want to lose the single coil capability, but it would be nice to have out of phase..... perhaps the addition of a push/pull pot for phase reverse maybe.....?

So many possibilities with this guitar. I love it !!!

dspelman

Reaction score
My roller bridge is a Wilkinson, very inexpensive, but works perfectly, and sounds great. Noticeable change from the stock Gibson bridge; more sustain, and more highs.

My guitar tech offered to rewire it to the original 1970's L6S wiring, meaning I lose the single coil capabilities, but gain both pickups in series, semi-out of phase, and full out of phase. Not sure yet .....
That's not *quite* how it went:

1. Both pickups, in series
2. Neck pickup, alone
3. Both pickups, in parallel
4. Both pickups, parallel out of phase, with the neck pickup's bass response restricted thought a series capacitor.
5. Bridge pickup, alone
6. Both pickups, series out of phase.

Single coil capabilities sound similar to parallel, except that in parallel you're still humbucking. What single coil offers is focus (one coil takes in less string length than two) and lack of phase issues (different from "out of phase") between a pair of coils.

The other factor in original L6S wiring, of course, is the inclusion of a mids cut knob (on the new one it's a bass cut knob).

entresz

Reaction score
I like the six way in theory, but I think there's easier ways of doing things. Perhaps something like this....
3 way p/u selector (normal LP style)
2 way toggle (humbucker/coil split)
2 way toggle (in/out phase)

it's a lot of switches, but once you're used to that you can switch instantly from one tone to another, plus it has a couple extra sounds too. I don't think i'd get this done to my L6S though, I'm used to the six way now.

What I really love is how comfortable this guitar is to play. I never get a sore shoulder like I did with my jazz guitars, and despite being a big solid plank of maple, it's not all that heavy. I'd choose this over a Les Paul any day. So much more comfortable.

cigblues

Reaction score
Boy do I remember that instrument. I think thats the best looking guitar on the planet. Had the all the chances in the world to buy one and foolishly did not.

Congratulations on your new , wonderful guitar. Love the finish and the maple board. You sir have great taste and knowledge of guitars.

Thanks for the GAS. Now I will have the please of finding one at my shop.

flyingvguy

Reaction score
What do they weigh?
L6S EBONY 1978 GIBSON

don't ask. actually the body is solid maple so you can be sure it's bottom heavy. i don't mind the weight as i play a gibson 80's flying v bass which by all accounts is heavier as it's a larger hunk of wood. one thing about this guitar is it's a heavy thing but for me i like it that way. one thing... guitar strap locks. as for positioning of the neck area guitar strap lock i removed it from off the side of the body and placed it on the back of the heel joint and the balance is so much better as it handles perfectly this way. just a pointer... in case you get one and realize it has a balance issue. it has a fast neck and of course mine is from back when i was 16 years old. everyone wanted a les paul or a strat at that time but i wanted something different and it was the coolest single cut around in my opinion and i needed it to offset my always playing a flying v thingy... the 6 position switch is cool for recording and i like the various tones it has i think it's one of gibson's most under-rated and over-looked guitars.

my MIDNIGHT SPECIAL here:

Attachments

Last edited:

cigblues

Reaction score
Yep the LPS was an over looked model and it is a real shame. You know I did a search for one as well as going to several shops site without any luck. That is an object of great beauty. I guess the smart people are sitting on them. I love yours. I can only recall a black one that I went a back and forth over and probably ended up with a more known one. Bit I aint through looking. Yet. I do have an SG JR. that is arriving today. And bought a Mexican Modified Telecaster. Lightest one I could find 7.5 lbs. What a porker. The mods are custom shop pups a twisted tele neck and they just said vintage bridge. And at $1049 it comes with a gigbag??? Both new guitars and both from Dave's Guitars. They have less used guitar than I have seen in a great long while. Guess I expect too much and live in the past...heck I am only 63.

cigblues

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing...always wanted one. Did not have cash or credit back then. I love that color!!!

Latest Threads