Gibson L6S

entresz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you've all had a good Christmas !

I recently bought a Gibson L6S (not the old 70's one, but the new reissue). Thought i'd make a post about it as it's a seriously cool guitar. Plays beautifully, has heaps of cool (and really useable) tones. I'm adding a bigsby B5 to it in the next month or so; and a Bill Lawrence L90 to the neck position (he designed the L6-S) will post photos when that's done too. What surprised me with this guitar is how well it does jazz (I'm primarily a jazz player)- I'm not missing the hollowbody when I'm using this at all. Add some overdrive and it will wail in the same way a good Les Paul will. I'm very happy with this instrument.

Here's a few pictures of it :)

I did a quick video demo of it too demonstrating some of the different sounds.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBkIzCJi3hk]Gibson L6S reissue demo - YouTube[/ame]

Ob Com

Reaction score
thanks for taking the trouble to make and share the vid.

Saw one of these the other day and thought "whats the deal with that"- very much an under the radar RI

nice playing :thumb:

entresz

Reaction score
@Ob Com, they seem to be VERY under the radar here (I'm in Australia). The Gibson distributor that ordered the guitar to be sent to the store I was buying from didn't even know what an L6-S reissue was!

Zack

Reaction score
@Ob Com, they seem to be VERY under the radar here (I'm in Australia). The Gibson distributor that ordered the guitar to be sent to the store I was buying from didn't even know what an L6-S reissue was!
what city are you in?

dspelman

Reaction score
I think the L6S reissue is under the radar here in the US as well.
There are several differences between the original (I've got one) and the reissue. One, of course is that the pickups are different; the originals are potted in epoxy and have (I believe) three separate small ceramic magnets. They're the first "hot" pickups Gibson ever produced and completely different from the Bill Lawrence (or other humbucking) pickups out there today (and there aren't any pole pieces on the originals).

The originals have a Schaller-type "harmonica" bridge. The reissues have a wider nut (1 11/16ths" vs 1 9/16ths") and that's a good thing. The reissues that I've seen so far have ONLY got a maple fretboard. The originals were available with both maple and ebony.

Some of the real differences are in the electronics. The L6S has a six-way pickup selector (it's not a varitone). On the originals, there are four positions devoted to "both pickups together" including two out of phase, both serial and parallel. On the reissue, the choices involve single coil selections in the place of parallel. On the original, the third knob is a mids cut (fixed frequency, variable cut). On the reissue, the third knob is a bass cut (fixed frequency, variable cut). And finally, the original has a smallish headstock; on the reissue, it's a larger (and I think prettier) Les Paul size.

On both original and reissue, upper fret access is outstanding, in part because the body is much thinner than that on a LP (so there's very little transition from neck to body), in part because the cutaway is much wider and in part because this is Gibson's first 24-fret guitar.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
I didn't realize Gibson reissued these, was it just recently?
I almost traded the Explorer I had for an old one of these.

Anyways, very cool man, and happy NGD!

dspelman

Reaction score
I didn't realize Gibson reissued these, was it just recently?
This past year. The good news is that, unlike their reissue of the ES-335S, they didn't screw up all that badly. Certainly the bones are good and the basic materials are true to the original. The headstock actually looks better than that on the original and the string spacing in the cowboy chord fret area is better. I'd likely tweak a few things on the electronics end of things and find the Schaller harmonica bridge for it, but this is a very comfortable guitar and one that's significantly different, soundwise, from an LP or even an SG.

Ob Com

Reaction score
presumably it twangs nicely if asked given the scale length?

entresz

Reaction score
It twangs very nicely, especially with the bridge pickup split (pos 2 on the six way). Very tele-like .... even with the flatwounds I use.

Kezman

Reaction score
HNGD!
I haven't seen many of these on the forum, thx for sharing. :thumb:

SmokestackElRopo

Reaction score
Very nice sounding guitar, and great playin too. You need to make me a cd of your playin. I won't ever get that good but at least I would have some idea of where I have to go.

Zardoz

Reaction score
I have an ongoing obsession with attaining an archtop jazz tone from solidbody guitars, and I must say you're pretty far along with that L6S, very cool guitar I wouldn't mind checking out if I could locate one.

entresz

Reaction score
I've just put the bigsby B5 on, the vibramate kit made it such an easy thing to do, plus I haven't marred the guitar at all. Also I have a locking roller bridge put on, only a cheap one, but I have noticed the guitar sounds better. More highs, and more sustain. I love the look of the Bigsby on the L6!

zontar

Reaction score
They are oddball guitars for Gibson in a way--I remember seeing a used one years ago in a store--but I've met more than a few people who like them.

Enjoy & thanks for sharing.

rinoatl

Reaction score
wow i havent seen one in years.i had no idea there was a reissue.cool guitar

entresz

Reaction score
Update !!

Got a set of Bill Lawrence L90's fitted. They are made by Bill and Becky; not the big company that has the Bill Lawrence name. They are amazing; the jazz tone is clearer, with smooth bass and nice balanced highs. And when you activate the coil splitting it twangs like crazy. The bridge pickup split sounds like a good telecaster- not a split humbucker. Truly amazing pickups, and such great value. Completely amazed me. I also fitted a Q filter, thins out the tone by reducing the inductance of the pickups. Very cool. Here's a pic of it; looks badass with the black pickups I think.

Latest Threads