Gibson Humbucker Poll

Which Gibson Humbucker is for you?

• Total voters

NoUse121

Reaction score
I do swap out pickups a lot to aftermarket brands but as for Gibson pickups I like the 490/498 combo. I have used that combo in a few Gibson's that I have owned and have always been pleased. Right now I do have a Classic 57 in the neck of my Classic Custom that is very well rounded and smooth but I was not a fan of the 57 bridge. To me it was very thin and brittle sounding for my style of music. Just not my thing but I can see where people would love it. I also like the Dirty Fingers that was not in the poll. That pickup has some balls!

CapeRR

Reaction score
I just dropped the 57 Classic/Classic plus in my 50's Tribute, that I recently bought, last week. I have BB Pros in the Trad Faded and I expected to hear a huge difference as most people praise the Classics. I was surprised that they are very similar, to my ears anyway.
The BB Pros are a little brighter on top but they are very close in the way they sound. I'm sure I could EQ my amp to make one sound damn close to the other. In fact, I may play with the height of the Classic neck pup as right now the BB Pro neck get a slight nod as it's a little tighter.
I couldn't select two in the poll so I picked the Classics because the bridge pup gets the slight nod there and that's the one I use 70% of the time.

craggles

Reaction score
I do swap out pickups a lot to aftermarket brands but as for Gibson pickups I like the 490/498 combo. I have used that combo in a few Gibson's that I have owned and have always been pleased. Right now I do have a Classic 57 in the neck of my Classic Custom that is very well rounded and smooth but I was not a fan of the 57 bridge. To me it was very thin and brittle sounding for my style of music. Just not my thing but I can see where people would love it. I also like the Dirty Fingers that was not in the poll. That pickup has some balls!
I'd beg to differ! The 57 in my neck is super round, thick and articulated, except when you turn up the gain, in which case I think it starts to get a bit muddy. But roll off the gain and it gets its round bite back. When setting pickup height, I had to dial in the neck first, and then balance the bridge, as the neck was waaay more powerful. Maybe yours was just sitting very low in the cavity?

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
I think the 57's are good if not the best Gibson pickups for classic rock (and I don't hear a difference between the newer and older ones). I really think though that try are a bit on the flabby side, but if you're looking for a Gibson pickup that does classic rock you don't need to look any further..

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
You gotta add Custom Buckers to the poll. Best Gibson pups I have heard. Just my opinion though. Though most who have heard them lately seem to agree.

M.C.J.

Reaction score
Burstbucker Pro (uncovered) is my choice, but because it's not a choice in the poll, I didn't vote for anything up there.

Burstbucker Pro sound pretty powerful with high gain tube amps. They do have a limit as to how much high gain you can force feed 'em, but they do pretty well in my rig for my purposes. They're a bit bright and have a very different character when played through a true clean channel as opposed to an overdriven channel (no pedals for overdrive). With Burstbucker Pros, the type of amp will be a factor, so I do expect a variety of experiences and opinions as to what works best with these. I haven't heard or played through a guitar with a covered BB Pro pup, so maybe that will take off some of the brightness.

CapeRR

Reaction score
I haven't heard or played through a guitar with a covered BB Pro pup, so maybe that will take off some of the brightness.
It does. I have covered BB Pros in my Vintage Mahogany and they're not as bright as the uncovered ones in my trad.

Slash1983

Reaction score
I have 57 Gibsons in my Signature T (uncovered) and I voted for them. I really like these sweet tones they made...
I'm also into aftermarket PUs (SeymourDuncans 59, JB, Jazz or DiMarzios 36th and SuperDistortion).

adamsvok

Reaction score
I haven't heard or played through a guitar with a covered BB Pro pup, so maybe that will take off some of the brightness.
Nope... not as much as I'd like :) I was very happy with my BB pros in my studio and couldn't get why the others here were bashing it's hars brightness 'just roll back the tone knob' I thought cause it worked for me, but I just bought a tube amp and I see it now.. I LOVE the neck pickup it's the real deal however the bridge is sooo powerful and bright even with the tone knob set back. You can't really clean it back with the volume pot unless you have Gibbons' light touch. I had an epi with 57s and those were great for blues/jazz/classic rock maybe I'll get one for the bridge position.
Let me ask a question while we're on the subject: I'm interested in the BB 2 in the bridge pos as well. So which would you put in? 57 or BB2? The BB pro in the neck isn't going anywhere :)

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
It does. I have covered BB Pros in my Vintage Mahogany and they're not as bright as the uncovered ones in my trad.
Or it could be that a vintage mahogany has a mahogany top instead of a maple top.

Im willing to bet why that is why it isnt as bright as your trad.

The cover shouldnt make that big of a difference

Shogun

Reaction score
In a les paul I love a 496r, the 500t isn't as nice. After the 496r I'd say 57s.

Also you missed dirty fingers.

politenessman

Reaction score
when i first got my studio, it came with 498t/490r. hated the 498, loved the 490. my trad 1960 came with 57 and 57 plus, didnt like either, muddy and unfocused to my ears. so i have aftermarket on both now.

LickHunter

Reaction score
I have 496r / 500t in one guitar... love the 496r it has sweet sound, but i'm not keen on the 500t, its way too harsh for me.

Also have BB pro's in a 2012 standard.. and yes I find the Bridge too bright and the neck not as sweet as the 496r.

I wasn't keen on the circuit board wiring in the 2012, so I have opted for a MSSC harness which I believe will give me better tone control.

Now for the part where I will be stoned by readers, I also changed the BB pro's for slash pro's... :slash: My guitar is at my luthier as I write, so fingers crossed.. IF i'm still not happy I will look at scatterbrains or pearly gates?

2013-05-11 12.04.00.jpg

EasyAce

Reaction score
I love the Burstbuckers. I have BB 1 and 2s (stock) in my R9 Bloomfield; I have BB Pros in my Classic Antique. There are no better humbuckers for playing the blues . . .