Gibson Humbucker list

Mr French

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a list of all Gibson Humbuckers starting from original Burstbuckers to current and what are they based after? Last week a customer had a set of 59 tribute by Gibson and I never heard of them nor did he but he liked them. So it made me wonder what other models are out there. Last humbucker I remember was the burstbucker pros from pre 2010s.

smk506

Reaction score
I’m not aware of an all encompassing list like that, but I really like the 59 tribute pickups in one of my Les Paul’s and I did a bit of research on them awhile ago.

I’m pretty sure it was @cooljuk who was able to break these down for what they are, but it’s been awhile.

I’ll let him chime in, but I think they’re modeled after one of the burst buckers, only the burst bucker has an underwound slug coil and the 59’s are underwound at the pole coil?

It was several years ago and since they dropped the model it hasn’t stayed super relevant for me.

Great pickups.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Modern Gibson pickups aren't really based on originals, if that's what you're asking. Despite some names like "'57 Classic" and such. Those are not at all like 1957 PAFs any more than they have two coils, one magnet, six screws, etc.

Gibson's naming is based more on marketing and their design and construction is based more on cost and what variations they can make without spending time and money.

Derald

Reaction score
From the windings and construction, the Tribute 59’s are Gibson Burstbucker 61s with Alnico 2 magnets installed instead of alnico 5.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
This list does not include 59 Tributes, 61 Tributes, Custom Buckers, Trad Buckers, Slash Buckers...

Gibson PAF/ ~ 7.2 - 9.0 K/ (Al 2/3/5)/ 1955/ 1962/ 0, 1 / 1, 2
Gibson PAT NR / ~ 7.5 - 8.3 K/ xxxxxxxxx/ 1962/ 1965/ 2/ xxx/ xxx
Gibson TTops / xxxxxx/ xxxxxxxxx/ 1965/ 1980/ xx/ xxx/ xxx
Gibson Tim Shaw/ ~7.3-7.5 K/ xxxxxxxxx/ 1980/ 1988/ xx/ xxx/ 4

Gibson MiniHB / ~ 6.0 - 6.4 K/ (Al2)/ xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxxx

Gibson Dirty Fingers / ~ 16.0 -16.6 K/ (2xCe) xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx

Gibson HB-R/ ~ 7.06 - 9.13 K / (Al5)/ 1988/ 1990/ 6/ xxx
Gibson HB-L /~ 13.39 - 15.3 K/ (Al5)/ 1988/ 1990/ 6/ xxx

Gibson '57 Classic / ~ 7.44 - 8.5 K / (Al2) / xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson '57 ClassicPlus/ ~ 8.78 - 13.8 K (Al2)/ xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx

Gibson 490R /~ 7.2 - 8.11 K/ (Al2)/ 1990/ ongoing/ 0,3, 4/ 1, 2, 4, 7
Gibson 490T /~ 7.9 - 8.53 K/ (Al2)/ 1990/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson 496R /~ 8.3 - 8.63 K/ (Ce)/ 1990/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson 498T/~12.32 - 13.64 K/ (Al5)/ 1990/ ongoing/ 0, 3, 4/ 1, 2, 4, 7
Gibson 500T ~ 14 – 15 K / (Ce)/ 1990/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx

Gibson BB Pro / ~ 7.4 K / (Al5, potted)/xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson BB Pro / ~ 8.0 K / (Al5, potted)/ xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson BB 1 / ~ 7.5 K / (Al2) / xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson BB 2 / ~ 8.0 - 8.4 K/ (Al2)/ xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson BB 3 / ~ 8.2 - 8.8 K / (Al2) / xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx

Gibson P-90R / ~ 7.7 - 8.5 K/ (Al5) / xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-90T / ~ 7.8 - 9.35 K/ (Al5)/ xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-100R / ~ 6.1 K / (Al5) / xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-100T / ~9.4 - 16.0 K/ (Al5)/ xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-94R / ~ 8.1 K / (Al5) / xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-94T / ~ 9.1 K / (Al5)/ xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx

Gibson Velvet Bricks / ~13 K / (Ce?)/ 1979?/ 1983?/ xx/ xxx

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
What's with the "0,1 / 1,2 /... etc." numbers above? What does that portion of the info signify?

I'd sure like to see those 1955 PAFs!

Mr French

Reaction score
Modern Gibson pickups aren't really based on originals, if that's what you're asking. Despite some names like "'57 Classic" and such. Those are not at all like 1957 PAFs any more than they have two coils, one magnet, six screws, etc.

Gibson's naming is based more on marketing and their design and construction is based more on cost and what variations they can make without spending time and money.
I was just trying to figure out what other pickup models Gibson made after Burstbucker pro's. I had stopped playing music after 2008 when I sold everything and picked up another electric around 2013. I had lost interest in forums and in Gibson new until recent.

So I'm just trying to catch up and get back into the swing.

drivers1959

Reaction score

they are however today..made similar and the pups output may vary model to model..some hot..some not,..but also the cs ones tend to be more specific in matching the artist pup in terms of sound and output ..most dont get to hear a real 59 in real life..other than whats heard on records because not many have these pups/guitars hangin around

Last edited:

Mr French

Reaction score
they are however today..made similar and the pups output may vary model to model..some hot..some not,..but also the cs ones tend to be more specific in matching the artist pup in terms of sound and outputmmmost dont get to hear in real life..other than whats heard on records because not many have these pups hangin around
That's very interesting to hear. I wonder why they would do that unless they are trying to replicate the same pickup making practices from the 50s/60s?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tar back and the circuit board back Bill Lawrence pickups? Norlin era has a few oddities

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
they are however today..made similar and the pups output may vary model to model..some hot..some not,..but also the cs ones tend to be more specific in matching the artist pup in terms of sound and outputmmmost dont get to hear in real life..other than whats heard on records because not many have these pups hangin around
Huh?

Are you calling DCR "output" ? ...because it isn't.

...and Gibson is notorious for butchering the "artist" pickups. Page, Clapton, etc. Just throw an A3 in any stock pickup and call it "artist."

Ever see the video of the Gibson employee examining the Greeny Burst PAFs in a hotel room?

He pulls the pickup out, the camera shows a plastic gray hookup lead and severely mangled cover that has obviously been on and off at least a half dozen times, by way of screwdrivers and pliers. To this, the Gibson employee "expert" remarks, "Yep, that's all original!"

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone forget CustomBuckers?
Those and a few others are before the list but not in the list.
Custom Buckers I always thought were built specifically for the guitar they were being installed in. Hence the name.

Mr French

Reaction score
Huh?

...and Gibson is notorious for butchering the "artist" pickups. Page, Clapton, etc. Just throw an A3 in any stock pickup and call it "artist."

Ever see the video of the Gibson employee examining the Greeny Burst PAFs in a hotel room?

He pulls the pickup out, the camera shows a plastic gray hookup lead and severely mangled cover that has obviously been on and off at least a half dozen times, by way of screwdrivers and pliers. To this, the Gibson employee "expert" remarks, "Yep, that's all original!"
Any chance for a link to that video?

drivers1959

Reaction score
Huh?

dude..you dont know wtf..ur talking about..i own many Gibsons..not one has been butchered as you say..and what ru saying in refrence to "dcr" output..i'm talking about the pups resistance in ohms..thats how they are rated..see my attached pic..maybe shed some light to the less knowledgeable..obviouslty you..cooljuk

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 12.38.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 12.38.51 PM.png
    891.8 KB · Views: 5

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
dude..you dont know wtf..ur talking about..i own many Gibsons..not one has been butchered as you say..and what ru saying in refrence to "dcr" output..i'm talking about the pups resistance in ohms..thats how they are rated..see my attached pic..maybe shed some light to the less knowledgeable..obviouslty you..cooljuk

So ohms is output and that's how pickups are copied from artists' guitars?

Latest Threads