Gibson huh? ...Chibson?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
When will people learn that the Guitar Dater Project is a junior high school project gone bad. A worthless POS that does much more harm than good.

Even lamer than using the Blue Book of Electric guitars to decide what your guitar is worth.
Exactly.

KenG

Reaction score
I think the ":slash:" is referring to the fact that Slash's prized and famous LP wasn't a real Gibson.
:slash:
:thumb:

No it was more of a question on the person's judgement that it looks & played beautifully.

izzwardo

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me here in town at the local pawn shop there was what looked to be a old black les paul custom aged and done very well and it was gleaming coolness on the wall until I picked her up and she was feather weight like. Looked at the price and they wanted $1800 for it from a distance it looked like a vintage beauty until a close look exposed all the signs of a fake

boyscout

GAS study patient member
Reaction score
Yes you can get brain cancer for cell phones. Your wife is right. I am not sure my wife said the same thing.

My first couple of cell phones put out 3 watts of power, compared to the 0.6 watts of most phones today.

I don't have brain... er... what were we talking about?

Fritz44

Reaction score
No it was more of a question on the person's judgement that it looks & played beautifully.

Yeah KenG cuz everybody knows you are the authority on judgment right?:shock:
I mean 4000+ post must make you a Les Paul god

Fritz44

Reaction score
So go back and take a camera, snap some pics for us, and go home...upload them. Cmon mang. What's the name of that store and what city?

6wg1.jpg

well known fake serial numbers....

When will people learn that the Guitar Dater Project is a junior high school project gone bad. A worthless POS that does much more harm than good.

Even lamer than using the Blue Book of Electric guitars to decide what your guitar is worth.

FLYING... it was THE hock SHOP IN Oshawa

Peter....thanks :)

Dangerdog. I don't use the GDP....I googled the SN# I was pretty sure it was just a dup SN# anyhow

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
In most cases...

If the price seems too good to be real, it usually isn't.

But a member recently got a used standard at a grand. Legit and in damn good shape. I hope I can find a deal like that someday.

Woolibu1111

Reaction score
I am almost positive it's a chibson. That being said If and when I buy another Paul ..it will either be a 2014 melody Maker or 2014 Studio in Desert burst . New never used :D My point was......The guitar in question looked and played beautifully. As for cell phones...That was more of a joke really. I just don't like them and I'd rather spend the money on guitars and cars :D

You're my hero! I am constantly on my cell phone looking something up (recently mylespaul.com) and think to myself why do I have this thing. I miss the days when no one could get a hold of you anytime of the day everyday. But then I also love being able to look up just about any known piece of information in human history so it's a toss up.

Fritz44

Reaction score
You're my hero! I am constantly on my cell phone looking something up (recently mylespaul.com) and think to myself why do I have this thing. I miss the days when no one could get a hold of you anytime of the day everyday. But then I also love being able to look up just about any known piece of information in human history so it's a toss up.

I see what you're saying Wool....and I use my laptop a lot for fact finding. Sure beats the days of having to walk or drive to the library to find a 3rd of the info available to us these days.As for cell phones......here is my beef. I hate standing in line somewhere and all of a sudden the person in front of you has a phone call and you have to listen to their whole conversation. OR...you're driving and some A-hole comes into your lane and almost takes you and your family out..You get up beside him and see that he's talking on his cell phone. Nope cell phones are overly expensive...many times come with ridiculous 3 year contracts and are generally intrusive. If I need to get info about something.......I'll wait til I get home and look it up. If that makes me a "Neanderthal" or a person who has "poor judgment" So be it :D

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
And then there's this:
If you really "ran" the serial number, as you said, you would have gotten this popping at the very top:

Serial number database

You would have seen the serial number in question mentioned a few times.

The whole Google results page is full of that serial number.

So don't mind me asking but: What's up with this, man?
:dunno:

Fritz44

Reaction score
And then there's this:
If you really "ran" the serial number, as you said, you would have gotten this popping at the very top:

Serial number database

Never got that page......but the first page I got suggested it was a dupe SN# That was good enough for me. My main point was that for a knock off..It sounded great. Now I know there are many guitar snobs who will say.. "It's a chibson it cant play beautifully" All I can say is that I been playing on and off for almost 40 years so Im not exactly a newb. That guitar played great. Now somebody will say.."If it's so great why not buy it?" Principal....and principal alone prevents me from buying. The Asian manufacturers are ripping Gibson off and or trying to deceive us . That just doesn't sit well with me. So while I liked the sound of the guitar I hate how it was conceived.

James R

Reaction score
Poor Fritz man, taking a lot of shit in this thread. And for what? Mentioning that you saw a nice looking, sounding, and playing fake. What's so difficult to believe about that?
Maybe the guitar was one of the "better" fakes out there. Maybe the thing sounded good because the original owner switched pups, wiring, caps, pots, etc.
many of us have done the same to less expensive instruments and we know the results can be incredible.
Maybe it had a great setup done with fret leveling/crowning, a new nut, etc. etc.

The bottom line is that he knew it was a fake, didn't buy it, and came here to tell us about it. There's constant "fake alert" threads here so that's nothing new.

Fritz, the owner of the shop obviously knows it's a fake, it wouldn't be priced so low otherwise. If it were me, I'd go talk to him and tell him it's a fake and you feel that morally it should be advertised as such or removed from the selling floor because some poor sap is going to get ripped off and fooled into thinking they've gotten the deal of a lifetime. If they decide to flip it, the viscous circle continues. Go back in a week and if nothing has changed, fire off an email to Gibson with the name, address, and phone number of the store and let them do what they will. If they decide it's not worth their trouble to pursue it, you've done what you can and can sleep with a clear conscience.

In the meantime, get a damned cell phone. How can you check MLP while standing in a checkout line without one?

Fritz44

Reaction score
Poor Fritz man, taking a lot of shit in this thread. And for what? Mentioning that you saw a nice looking, sounding, and playing fake. What's so difficult to believe about that?
Maybe the guitar was one of the "better" fakes out there. Maybe the thing sounded good because the original owner switched pups, wiring, caps, pots, etc.
many of us have done the same to less expensive instruments and we know the results can be incredible.
Maybe it had a great setup done with fret leveling/crowning, a new nut, etc. etc.

The bottom line is that he knew it was a fake, didn't buy it, and came here to tell us about it. There's constant "fake alert" threads here so that's nothing new.

Fritz, the owner of the shop obviously knows it's a fake, it wouldn't be priced so low otherwise. If it were me, I'd go talk to him and tell him it's a fake and you feel that morally it should be advertised as such or removed from the selling floor because some poor sap is going to get ripped off and fooled into thinking they've gotten the deal of a lifetime. If they decide to flip it, the viscous circle continues. Go back in a week and if nothing has changed, fire off an email to Gibson with the name, address, and phone number of the store and let them do what they will. If they decide it's not worth their trouble to pursue it, you've done what you can and can sleep with a clear conscience.

In the meantime, get a damned cell phone. How can you check MLP while standing in a checkout line without one?

Good point made James.....The owner knows that it's not a Gibson and I'm pretty sure he does not care. One of many reasons I don't frequent pawn shops. I never went in with the intention of buying a guitar nor would I buy one from a pawn shop. I NEVER buy used guitars for personal use( think I've probably mentioned that) Only reason I played the guitar in question was that I needed to prove to myself It was a fake ( lets face it ..we'd all love to buy an LP Standard for 6 hun) Thing is (and why I posted it) The damned thing sounded so F-in good. I never expected this kind of reaction . I certainly didn't expect to be called a Neanderthal or essentially called an idiot. No worries though. I know that there will always be those who are full of themselves and those who are legitimately helpful and interested in all guitars not just headstock brands. I'm going to go back tomorrow to see if I can get a picture of the guitar( I suspect the owner will have a prob with it though lol) If he does I will contact Gibson although I'm sure it wont amount to anything. Either way I did my part and played a great sounding "GUITAR" :slash:

Thanks James :)

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
(...) I came home and immediately ran the SN# but found nothing.(...) .

And then there's this:

Serial number database

Never got that page......but the first page I got suggested it was a dupe SN# That was good enough for me.

:hmm:

1117095_18716019_thumb.jpg

I'll leave it at that.

dangerdog

Reaction score
Doesn't hurt and I have done it on occasion but if you really want to "run" it you can call Gibson. Usually going to be quicker and you will get a real answer.

Gwyddion

Reaction score
A few weeks back I handled and played a desertburst Les Paul at a jam session that was even lighter than my Epi SG. It was legit, but turned out to be an exceptionally light chambered one. Since then I do no longer consider a guitar being super light as a warning signal. Maybe I should after all...:hmm:

Latest Threads