Gibson huh? ...Chibson?

Fritz44

Reaction score
So I walked into this pawn shop today. My wife was in getting her hair done so to kill some time I'd go check out their guitars. I don't usually go into pawn shops ( bad karma) and I rarely buy used guitars for personal use. So I go in, head to the back where the guitars and gear are. Out of the corner of my eye I spot this gorgeous Tobacco burst LP standard. She's just looking back at me all sexy and shit and I'm thinking .."there's a cool 1500 to 2000" So just to placate myself I flip the price tag. 599.00 I'm like damn I really need some glasses. I look again...sure enough 599.00
I immediately pick it up.........WAY to light. I look at the head stock everything looks right there. I look at the SN# 00170423 think could be a legit SN# duplicate...I then look to see if there were any nibs.....nope but I recall reading somewhere that that's no always an indicator. ( I've only ever owned one Standard and it was a heavy SOB don't remember if it had nibs) So I called over the clerk and asked him about it. He wasn't a guitar guy but he said he was sure it was real. I replied that no one in there right mind would sell a LP Standard for 600 bucks and it was SO light. I mean there is weight relief but not this much. So I asked him if I could plug her in. He said no prob and I played it. All I can say is....If it was a fake ( and I'm sure she was) She didn't play or sound like it. I would never knowingly buy a fake but man she was a nice playing Git. I came home and immediately ran the SN# but found nothing. Only thing I can think of is that the owner of the store must know it to be a Chibson in order to have it priced at 599. Because as far as I could tell there were no breaks, the neck was perfect and the finish flawless......Weird shit .

Fritz44

Reaction score
No believe it or not....I don't own a cell phone :laugh2: My wife keeps telling me that I won't get brain cancer from them but.....I just won't budge :D

fiveightandten

Reaction score
I've been using a cell phone since 1999 or thereabouts. I think you're good on the brain cancer thing. Besides, you don't actually *talk* on a phone that much these days. Most of the time, you're texting or online with it. It's in your pocket more than up against your head...worry about your nads instead. :D

And to that end, you're around so many cell phones and other things that emit EMF, there's simply no way to get away from it. It completely surrounds us everywhere we go, at this point. Is the computer you're posting on connected wirelessly? Well, guess what.

Anyways, back to the guitar. Pics. Or go buy the thing. If they vouch that it's legit, just take it back to them if you decide it's not.

Fritz44

Reaction score
I am almost positive it's a chibson. That being said If and when I buy another Paul ..it will either be a 2014 melody Maker or 2014 Studio in Desert burst . New never used :D My point was......The guitar in question looked and played beautifully. As for cell phones...That was more of a joke really. I just don't like them and I'd rather spend the money on guitars and cars :D

kevinpaul

Reaction score
Yes you can get brain cancer for cell phones. Your wife is right. I am not sure my wife said the same thing.

KenG

Reaction score
I am almost positive it's a chibson. That being said If and when I buy another Paul ..it will either be a 2014 melody Maker or 2014 Studio in Desert burst . New never used :D My point was......The guitar in question looked and played beautifully. As for cell phones...That was more of a joke really. I just don't like them and I'd rather spend the money on guitars and cars :D

:slash:

scalibur

Reaction score
Just keep your phone on airplane mode. And watch out for reciepts, they have the dreaded BPA. I use tongs to handle mine. If the guitar had no nibs it would mean it was re fretted which is unlikely for a 2000. A good tell are the wings or sections of wood on the back of the headstock.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
It may have Looked and played beautifully but it's still a chibson and I don't subscribe to Asian fakes no matter how well they play :slash:

I think the ":slash:" is referring to the fact that Slash's prized and famous LP wasn't a real Gibson.
:slash:
:thumb:

ARandall

Reaction score
Yeah, but Slash's replica is better than a Gibson, unless it was from before 61.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
So go back and take a camera, snap some pics for us, and go home...upload them. Cmon mang. What's the name of that store and what city?

dangerdog

Reaction score
Oh, the dreaded GDP!

Funnily enough, I had no issues with it:

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
January 17th, 2000
Production Number: 123

When will people learn that the Guitar Dater Project is a junior high school project gone bad. A worthless POS that does much more harm than good.

Even lamer than using the Blue Book of Electric guitars to decide what your guitar is worth.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
I look at the head stock everything looks right there. I look at the SN# 00170423 think could be a legit SN# duplicate.........Weird shit .

6wg1.jpg

well known fake serial numbers....

Latest Threads