Gibson Historic Tweed Case?

bblooz

Reaction score
When were these cases issued, and with what models? Any extra value vs. the Lifton reissues?
GibsonHistoricTweedCase01.jpg
GibsonHistoricTweedCase02.jpg

RocketKing

Reaction score
Nice case for sure but I'd doubt it having more value than a lifton case. If anything because the lifton one is more in line with the original ones. The tweed one isn't as far as I know.
But let's see what someone else with more knowledge on this than me says

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
These were produced in '03, I believe, but I don't know if they were used for any specific model. At the same time, they had another version of this case with a light blue interior, that was used exclusively for the MM Stinger series. Those Stinger cases I've seen sell for as much as $1K. These cases with the maroon interior are excellent cases, and in my opinion, offer much better protection than the Lifton cases. They're virtually the same as the black Custom Shop cases which were used at the time, except for the different exterior, obviously. I can't really help with value, but if I had to guess, I would think that they're probably worth at least $400 each.

Frank

markguitar

MLP Sponsor
Reaction score
Yes 2003. The blue lined tweed case was originally used for the Spiderman LP. And then Dave from Music Machine decided to offer them. When you bought an R9 or R0 from them, you had the choice of a reissue Lifton or the tweed case. It was not exclusive to the “Stinger” series only.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I bought one with a bright blue interior and think I paid $500 US (shipped) several years ago.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
I like it and it seems to have nice protection,..... i like it better than the Spock Casket in the background. :cheers:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine bought a Wolf Les Paul and it had a case just like that. Very sweet.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So if I offer the dude $400, that should be a pretty fair deal, correct?
Well, the guy has a price of $502 on it (or best offer), so it's worth a try. Either he thinks it's a fair deal or he doesn't. You won't know until you try. Good luck!

Frank

Gold Tone

Reaction score
That tweed case came with Gibson Custom Shop Limited Edition 50th Anniversary Les Paul Goldtop 57 Historic R7 All Gold 2007

toymaker

Reaction score
Had one that came with a 2004 R8 chambered. Very possible it could have been swapped at some point, but was told original.

As mentioned, it was offered around this period as an option. Blue lining were the stingers - maroon was anything else.

The R7 specials had something similiar, was thinking they were slightly different in logo.

As to "value" - its a tough one for me. Its unique, from Gibson and a conversation piece...but its also just a case. A lifton is worth 175-250 from this era, black a tad less. Woukd I pay 400 for a tweed...possibly, but I am sure there is someone who would begin cranking them out less the logo if price ever got much higher. 500 is top of the market to me...but Ive seen ASK up to a grand in the past for a blue lined stinger. Guess if you had one of those and were missing a case it might be worth it...but to me thats halfway to a pre 2013 R8 almost...just for a case.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That tweed case came with Gibson Custom Shop Limited Edition 50th Anniversary Les Paul Goldtop 57 Historic R7 All Gold 2007
Are you sure about that? By 2007, the Custom Shop was using the new Gibson Custom logo (with the star), rather than the Custom Art & Historic logo. In fact, at the Gibson Summer Jam, held in the summer of '06, there was a huge auction held, and I bought up the last of those tweed cases (or so I thought) with the Custom Art & Historic logos on them. But anyway, by '07, they had definitely switched to the new logo...which is why they were selling off all those older cases at the auction in '06.

Frank

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Are you sure about that? By 2007, the Custom Shop was using the new Gibson Custom logo (with the star), rather than the Custom Art & Historic logo. In fact, at the Gibson Summer Jam, held in the summer of '06, there was a huge auction held, and I bought up the last of those tweed cases (or so I thought) with the Custom Art & Historic logos on them. But anyway, by '07, they had definitely switched to the new logo...which is why they were selling off all those older cases at the auction in '06.

Frank

fxrdirt

Reaction score
Well, this case was still out there a week ago so I made an offer substantially less than the asking price and result . . .SOLD. I received it yesterday and it is in absolutely perfect condition. It isn't the correct year for my Les Paul, but I am new to the Gibson community and I don't truly care at this point. It looks great and it protects my guitar.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
Well, this case was still out there a week ago so I made an offer substantially less than the asking price and result . . .SOLD. I received it yesterday and it is in absolutely perfect condition. It isn't the correct year for my Les Paul, but I am new to the Gibson community and I don't truly care at this point. It looks great and it protects my guitar.
Welcome to the forum,.....and happy new case day..... :thumb: