Gibson help

dazzer22

Reaction score
I got a new Gibson and would like to know if this is normal I am not an expert on how a guitar should be but there is a gap on the bridge and saddle studs on one side of the guitar , I took two pictures of both sides the other side seems ok . The frets seem a little flat too .

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t look odd to me. If this is factory brand new I wouldn’t be surprised if they do that to keep the nitro from cracking and or getting depressions before the finish is completely cured. There is no reason to have the studs air tight to the body.

Frets look normal to me. Your binding looks great! Gibson doesn’t come with the super round and crowned jumbo frets.

Last edited:

sonar1

Reaction score
Looks low on the treble side.
Any fret buzz?

Most bridge studs look like that.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Yes... your LP is perfectly normal.

How about more pics.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
No, that gap is not normal. You might try tapping it in a little more, they are pressed in at the factory. But I’d be more concerned about slamming that tailpiece down, that string break angle over the bridge is a little severe. It might cause the bridge to collapse over time.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
was it bought from an online source or an actual guitar shop?a good setup could probably make it sing if you like the rest of it.possibly an online store would give you some credit towards a setup.

Gitter

Reaction score
I'd personally slack the strings, take off the the bridge and loosen/remove the posts to see if it's just a minor tweak before sending it back.

CattleDog

Reaction score
The bass side stud is not seated correctly, and to me it looks like the treble side is seated correct, but the bridge is set quite low, like all the way low. Frets look normal for a new Gibson (as does the dry rosewood). Depending on where you bought it, they might be able to easily fix it up, or you can ask for a discount and fix it yourself, or return it.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Can you try a set up if we give you some instructions? Gibsons frets are notorious for being crowned like the top of a school bus. It's just how they set up their plek. No worries unless the frets don't rock level.

Also watch these.

jskidder

Reaction score
That's totally normal. The top isn't flat so the studs are never going to be completely flush all the way around - it's physically impossible. And since the tops are carved by hand no two are going to be identical.

The buzzing strings just mean you need to adjust the bridge height. That's a setup issue, not a problem with the guitar. Every new guitar needs to be set up in order to play optimally.

And there's nothing wrong with your string break angle as long as the strings aren't touching the back of the bridge.

stp

Reaction score
action way too low .that thing must buzz like crazy

dazzer22

Reaction score
That's totally normal. The top isn't flat so the studs are never going to be completely flush all the way around - it's physically impossible. And since the tops are carved by hand no two are going to be identical.

The buzzing strings just mean you need to adjust the bridge height. That's a setup issue, not a problem with the guitar. Every new guitar needs to be set up in order to play optimally.

And there's nothing wrong with your string break angle as long as the strings aren't touching the back of the bridge.
I don't think there is a definitive answer on this every one has different options , I have already requested an exchange but if its normal then that would be ok next time , but i ordered this online i can't visit guitar shops to check with other Gibson guitars , so I only can go on what i have at home my Epip Guitars don't have gaps, I also didn't like the way the guitar came almost like someone else had gave it a bad setup for me .

kakerlak

Reaction score

This. If that top is carved into a sharp enough arch right in the middle -- and a lot of regular production/Gibson USA LPs are, vs the flatter centers on reissues -- those inserts can't sit flush all the way around and stay properly perpendicular to the bridge.

I'm gonna say this one's fine and some moderate buzzing is to be expected if the action is truly as low as it appears. As for frets being dressed low and crowned flat, that may be typical of current production; I know it has been at times in the past.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I don't think there is a definitive answer on this every one has different options , I have already requested an exchange but if its normal then that would be ok next time , but i ordered this online i can't visit guitar shops to check with other Gibson guitars , so I only can go on what i have at home my Epip Guitars don't have gaps, I also didn't like the way the guitar came almost like someone else had gave it a bad setup for me .
You need to learn to do your own setups, especially if you can't go to a guitar shop. No new guitar will hold setup from the day it gets strings all the way through shipping to your door.

Plus it will save you money and your guitars will be perfect for how you play them.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Every guitar is going to be different to some degree, no two guitars are the same even the same models. It all looked good to me and to have a guitar setup perfectly out of the box, that is not always the case. Everyone likes there guitars setup differently, one persons perfect is another persons not so perfect. I like a medium to medium low action with no fret buzz, some like it as low as it can go and don't mind a little fret buzz in trade for really low action. Most guitars need a setup when purchased brand new unless you pay to have it plek'd if it has not been plek'd already and also specify to the vendor to have a setup done and spec out what you want done.

If you just received it, it can take a few days for the wood and neck to settle in, especially with the weather this time of year during shipping.

jskidder

Reaction score
The only way to guarantee a decent setup on a new guitar is to buy from a shop that will give you a setup to your specs with purchase. Or that has the option for you to pay for one. Complaining about a guitar because its not setup to your liking out of the box is completely absurd.

And if you're going to be picky, buy from somewhere willing to send you pics of the bridge and tailpiece studs on the actual guitar you're buying before purchasing it.

dazzer22

Reaction score
You need to learn to do your own setups, especially if you can't go to a guitar shop. No new guitar will hold setup from the day it gets strings all the way through shipping to your door.

Plus it will save you money and your guitars will be perfect for how you play them.
I can setup the Guitar i was just shock how badly set up it came , But i already setup the guitar and was still getting string buzz , i don't know the string height measurement for Gibson guitars but i have adjusted it to - Low E 3mm and high E - 2.50mm and it still buzzing on A and D open, it has reduced a bit but still get buzz , String height seems high now surly it shouldn't be buzzing now . neck relief is ok

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
No, that gap is not normal. You might try tapping it in a little more, they are pressed in at the factory. But I’d be more concerned about slamming that tailpiece down, that string break angle over the bridge is a little severe. It might cause the bridge to collapse over time.
#blessedbethytopwrap

Latest Threads