Gibson Headstock Shape

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
I just tried to search and only found angle changes. What about the shape of the Headstock. I have a 2016 standard and there is no question that the Headstock wings are wider and taller with the middle not having much of the classic Gibson look.

If I could post a pic I would. I never really looked at it and tonight as usual my guitar is going out of tune every second(not related I know) but I said I wondered if I have a bum headstock/neck. I don't like the way it looks compared to every other year.

Edit: I just looked at Gibsons website and mine looks exactly like the one shown, which to me looks different than other years so I guess I answered my own question. Sorry to waste bandwidth.

Last edited:

sk8rat

Reaction score
they have different headstock shapes with different designations.

some examples of the different headstock names:

SP1-A
SP1-B
SP2
50's Profile LP
Les Paul Standard
1959 True Historic Thin Head Veneer

the sp1-b shape seems to be the most common in the usa line.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
I found some after all, they don't look as bad in pic but headstock is bigger trust me. Last one is just for flame, it's dark so hard to see headstock but it don't matter I see they are all like that. I should of payed attetion, she plays well though staying in tune lately is kind of wonky. TIme to change strings. Sorry to even start this fellas

Attachments

• IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1379.JPG
    IMG_1379.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

Pappy58

Reaction score
Your tuning issues are most likely associated with strings hanging in the nut...maybe bridge saddles but the nut is usually the culprit. Dress it up when you change the strings! :yesway::yesway:

endial

Reaction score
Your tuning issues are most likely associated with strings hanging in the nut...maybe bridge saddles but the nut is usually the culprit. Dress it up when you change the strings! :yesway::yesway:

...And put two to three wraps of string around the posts. Those Gibson nuts, though...pinch, pinch, pinch...

Nippon

You looking at me?
Reaction score
The USA headstock looks ugly, compared the CS models.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
They've changed over the years ... ironic considering that that is their legal leg to stand on.

Reactions: Who

TheDevice

Reaction score
Yeah the headstock on the new classic is stopping me from buying one

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
The headstock on my 2015 is clearly bigger & different shape than my 2007.

The 2015 looks almost exactly like the late 70s style.

1allspub

Reaction score
Maybe I’m just not as picky (which I doubt, because when it comes to LPs I am usually *very* picky), but I just don’t see the problem. We’re talking a relatively minor difference here. Still the same basic shape, just slightly wider/more pronounced wings? IDK, call me a heretic, I am just fine with all the Gibson headstock variations. They all look good to me.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Maybe I’m just not as picky (which I doubt, because when it comes to LPs I am usually *very* picky), but I just don’t see the problem. We’re talking a relatively minor difference here. Still the same basic shape, just slightly wider/more pronounced wings? IDK, call me a heretic, I am just fine with all the Gibson headstock variations. They all look good to me.

I second this.

The 50s shape, the large 70s, and the modern shape all look fine to me. Just different, not better or worse.

The epiphone shape? Not a fan. Hehe

Axis39

Reaction score
...And put two to three wraps of string around the posts. Those Gibson nuts, though...pinch, pinch, pinch...

I disagree. Fewer wraps gives less chance for resettling in the wrong position. Most fo my guitars have one or less wraps, but, I also do the wrap back and fold under thing.

The only ones I don't care for are the overly large ones... But, I can honestly say I don't pay much attention either. If it plays good and sounds good, those are the first things. But, I also let a good '08 Traditional go because I couldn't get over the pink binding. I've kinda gotten over it now as two of my four current LPs have pink-ish binding.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
I have pinkish binding too,ugh. I sware I was blind when I bought this or gas'ing bad idk. I hated the electronics from day 1 and wanted a Trad but none in stock felt right and this les paul feels amazing so I said F it I'll get over it. Maybe I just needed to take a chill pill last night, I still hate the wider headstock but I sure didn't mean to let's say fly off the handle and really put an ad to sell her. I always do 3 wraps sometimes 4 on the B and E strings. Hell if BB King used all of it I'm sure I'll be alright with 3. Thanks for all your comments

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Exactly this :thumb:

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the headstock shape and haven't compared my Tributes' and LPMM's to any others. I will say that I don't miss the Kramer headstock since I traded it for a Squier VM Mustang with a gigantic Fender one.

Latest Threads