Gibson G-45 acoustics released. Good first acoustic guitar?

Mega Tron

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting my first acoustic. The new Gibson G-45 studio looks pretty compelling. Thoughts? What other guitars should I consider in this price/quality range?

Death Incarnate

Premium V.I.P.
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In the same price/quality/range I would see a Martin D-15M. It will sound different though, as the D-15M is all mahogany top/sides/bottom, so it has a "woody" sound.

That's what I'm targeting next.

Mega Tron

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward something like the Made in Japan Yamaha A5 series. Anyone have experience with these?

lunchbox

Reaction score
Non-scalloped bracing in a dreadnaught is a deal breaker for me.

I bought an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500MNA and have been pleased with it. It’s no Martin or other higher quality US made acoustic, but it’s still pretty damn good for $450.

I’ve only ever liked a handful of Gibson acoustics that I’ve ever tried.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The best I can tell you is to try as many as you can. I think the new G45s are nice for their price points as they are all solid wood, made in the US and have a nitro finish.

But, we are talking $1k or more so it's ok to be picky and play them until you find the one that feels and sounds good to you.

I spent a few months playing different acoustics before I bought a used Martin last year for a great price. I have an Ovation that I've had for about 15 years and a cheap Jay Turser 12 string. I had a super cheap 6 string that I used to take to people's houses when their children were young (and bratty), but a forum member decided it would be great for his grandchildren as I had set it up with nice, low action. So I was on the hunt for the best acoustic I could find for $1k.

MSB

Reaction score
I'll take my Gibson electrics to my grave, but nothing about their acoustics were ever appealing to me. Beginners guitar or gigging one, plenty of better (imo) options out there.

Watch videos of what i'd say are real acoustic guys and then watch the new Gibson video and see for yourself. Reputations, not "solid."

but get your hands on some. Figure out what you like and when the guy who designed it worked for XX company and "follow" him.

Last edited:

MooCheng

Reaction score
never found a Gibson acoustic I liked, some folk like the thud of the low strings, I just find it unmusical but thats just me, other folks love 'em

we are very lucky these days, there are some very nice acoustics around, some not costing a great deal

If its going to be your first acoustic, good advice is play as many acoustics as you can lay your hands on before you decide. Acoustic are very personal instruments. maybe the connection that develops for an instrument is more intimate than with electrics

good luck finding something you will enjoy

moreles

Reaction score
Though my best of very many acoustic guitars is a Gibson, I never, ever give a blanket recommendation of Gibson acoustics as in my experience the vast majority are very dull-sounding instruments. That makes them good for rhythm and recording (w/ vocals) where you usually don't want tons of harmonics or booming bass. But, straight up, I have often just despaired of every finding a truly good-sounding Gibson. Then I lucked into one that sounds incredible. Of course, the fact that it has been aging through constant playing since 1936 probably helped. I don't think you can safely make any generalizations about guitars from any maker at this price point, as they simply are not consistent. I believe it when someone says theirs is fabulous, but you can buy the same model and get a lifeless one. Good luck. I don't think you need to spend $$$$ to get a fine acoustic, but I sure do believe you have to work to find one.

Mega Tron

Reaction score
Damn, it arrived with the sound board broken and detaching from the sides. Returned immediately. Bit of a let-down. Anyway, search continues. Might order another A5R or might opt for the new FS5 red label. NGD when it arrives. Didn't have a chance to play the G45, but reviews of the tone owing to the walnut back and sides aren't so great.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Don't overlook these. They're pretty awesome guitars!

Mega Tron

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why the G-45 Studio has a walnut bridge and fretboard and the G-45 (non-studio) has richlite for those parts? Isn't that a step down on the higher end model?

Lefty Adams

Reaction score
A good used J45 will probably be a much better instrument at the right price of course.

I was watching the first plays of the G45, and didn't think too much of the tone personally.

Having said that, if you like it and it fits within your budget, go for it.

Best thing is to go and play one.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
You should consider going into a store with a range of acoustic guitars you can sit with. I really like the new gibson acoustics and it would be nice to see and read from a member how those instruments are

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
In the same price/quality/range I would see a Martin D-15M. It will sound different though, as the D-15M is all mahogany top/sides/bottom, so it has a "woody" sound.

That's what I'm targeting next.
I saw a Washburn copy of the D-15M it was a nice hog

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting my first acoustic. The new Gibson G-45 studio looks pretty compelling. Thoughts? What other guitars should I consider in this price/quality range?
I am lucky enough that in British Columbia we have many, many, stores that look like this.

Image result for acoustic guitar showroom

Over the span of several months, I went to a bunch with a specific price range in mind.

There were Gibson, Martin, Seagull, Yamaha, Eko . . .
Sooooo many guitars.

I ended up walking out with a used Cort.
Never heard of them before.

So to answer your question.

Consider EVERY guitar in that price range.

I had so much fun trying out all them guitars.