Gibson Flying V - Wolf Hoffmann from Accept - looking for details

darkvoice

Reaction score
hi all,

Big fan of Wolf Hoffmann here, to me he's one of the best guitar players. In case you don't know Wolf is a founding member of German heavy metal band Accept (in 1976):

He's been playing various Flying V guitars through the years, he started with Gibson V, then used Hamer and currently plays Framus.

I am trying to understand modifications he's done to his white Gibson Flying V which he played in the 1980s. It appears that his white V is from 1970s. which originally was equipped with some sort of Nashville bridge and tailpiece stop bar.

However, in most of the photos from the era you can see this guitar with some sort of a nickel plated tremolo / floyd machine instead of a stock stop bar.

My question are:
1) Was tremolo stock on the 1970s Gibson Vs or did he modify his instrument?
2) If it was a modification - how exactly was the tremolo machine installed?

I would appreciate if we can gather detailed information on this, with better photos and links to articles/sites.

Thank you!

Attachments

stp

Reaction score
there no trem there
. it has fine tuners and some sort of bridge.

efstop

Declining Rotten Apple
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
His Framus sig edition has a Floyd with an FU Tone Block, so he might have started using Floyds with the Gibson.

LocoTex

Reaction score
The guy pulled a Peter Frampton....big head of blonde hair then gone.

darkvoice

Reaction score
there no trem there
. it has fine tuners and some sort of bridge.
You could be correct, but it seems there is a some sort of a trem.

Look at he below photo - you can see two posts for removed stop bar, then above two posts there's some sort of trem-like machine. It it's not tremolo - what is that?

It also looks like the bridge was removed and this micro-adjustment/trem piece was installed instead.

How is it held in place?

GibsonV_7L.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
His Framus sig edition has a Floyd with an FU Tone Block, so he might have started using Floyds with the Gibson.
He certainly installed Floyd on his other guitars.

I had a chance to handle his Strat from 1980-90s and he had a Floyd Rose installed on it. There was no cavity created for Floyd, it was just put there on top of the guitar and it worked only one way - up.

Here are some photos of his modified Strat.

WH_Strat_01.jpg
WH_Strat_02.jpg

veeman

Reaction score
I don't think he ever played a Hamer, but did have a Jackson custom made. I don't recall a Hamer anyway.

darkvoice

Reaction score
I don't think he ever played a Hamer, but did have a Jackson custom made. I don't recall a Hamer anyway.
He certainly played Hamer guitars. I can't find photo of him with Hamer V, but here Hamer Super Strat:

Hamer_1.jpg

LSAR

Reaction score
The V's bridge appears to be a Schaller 456 wraparound/combination bridge/tailpiece. Iommi has used them as well, I believe they were on the market still up until a couple of years back.

darkvoice

Reaction score
I stand corrected, lol, right there on the cover of his 1st solo cd.
:jam:How could I not remember that cover? :wow:
This is what happens when people switch to music in digital format, we forget the covers of the albums.

darkvoice

Reaction score
The V's bridge appears to be a Schaller 456 wraparound/combination bridge/tailpiece. Iommi has used them as well, I believe they were on the market still up until a couple of years back.
Thanks a lot! It certainly looks close enough.

What would be the benefits of replacing Gibson's bridge and tail with Schaller 456?

LSAR

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! It certainly looks close enough.

What would be the benefits of replacing Gibson's bridge and tail with Schaller 456?
The only thing I could think is that he wanted the fine tuners he was perhaps used to having on a Floyd. It isn't a mod I'd personally think makes sense. It doesn't look like he added a locking nut, so there wouldn't be any particular benefit to tuning stability.

I'm not sure but I think these have different post spacing from a standard tune-o-matic so I imagine the original post holes had to be filled and re-drilled for the bridge...personally I'd have opted for a Gibson TP-6 that would drop in without modification.

darkvoice

Reaction score
The only thing I could think is that he wanted the fine tuners he was perhaps used to having on a Floyd. It isn't a mod I'd personally think makes sense. It doesn't look like he added a locking nut, so there wouldn't be any particular benefit to tuning stability.

I'm not sure but I think these have different post spacing from a standard tune-o-matic so I imagine the original post holes had to be filled and re-drilled for the bridge...personally I'd have opted for a Gibson TP-6 that would drop in without modification.
Many thanks!

kkmacgoody

Reaction score
The guy pulled a Peter Frampton....big head of blonde hair then gone.
Many of us pulled a Frampton - age tends to take hair away and leave you with fewer options - dissliked Frampton as a kid (too pop-y); I prefer the relic'ed version - more thoughtful and he still has his chops

Latest Threads