Gibson Explorers. What do you think of them?

murmel

Reaction score
Got this one almost 10 years ago. I like it a lot, still it has been kind of a case queen. Explorers are beautiful and nice to play when sitting, the handling is a bit less comfortable as the are big (and the need to be big if you are on the taller side). Bill was kind enough to sign the QA sheet of the guitar for me at an ESP event. I didn’t have the guts to bring the whole guitar.

HCRoadie

Reaction score
Isn't the Explorer Pro a scaled down version? Like 7/8'ths? I like those. I
I have a Pro. being 5'8" it is perfect for me. I have a full sized Epi Explorer as well. I love how my arm rests against the upper triangle. Very comfy

DJGranite

Reaction score
This is mine, I got it in 96.
It is an 85.
Love it.
Feels good playing sitting down and standing and as big as it seems, it just doesn't feel that big to me when I am playing it.
It's not going anywhere.
20210125_172324 (2).jpg
20210125_172414 (2).jpg

Peter M

Reaction score
Gibson Explorers. What do you think of them?
My first ever Gibson was an '83 Explorer... in 1983. :) Loved that axe to death in every sense of the word. Miss it dearly.

They are fun to play and for my money the best of the "odd shape" guitars.

83 Explorer.jpg

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Explorers are cool -- You just have to get used to that right bout that sticks out much farther than most conventional guitars.

Pete Willis (early/good Def Leppard):

John

Reaction score
I know they make more modernized variants like the Thunderhorse, at the moment, but a 7 string Explorer with both >24 frets and a Floyd would be cool.
Other contenders for at least either one of those, for me, have been through Jackson and probably ESP.

I, for one, owned a Jackson Kelly for several years. Otherwise, most of the other competitors these days just manage to ham it up with the shape, so not for the better. And that's a pity.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like the look, never played one though.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I can expect to similar or different from a Les Paul and have any of you owned one? If so what did you think of it.
My view FWIW: Even more so than an LP, the wood makes so much difference to tone (and balance, some feel more neck-heavy than others) - you can get absolute screamers or inert planks in the same model/year. You have to play and hold the individual guitar to know if it will work for YOU, balance and tone wise.

p.s. Explorers are a PITA if you like to keep your guitars on stands :)

[details of the ‘81 Explorer I owned in linked thread below]

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool! Are you going retro 50s, or more modern Metallica?
Similar to the Explorer Custom, but instead of black, he's doing the same tangerine that he used on Crotch's Strat style body with a flame top (Thanks to Fatdaddypreacher for providing a piece of maple wide enough!)
Double bound, block inlays, and bound headstock (Gibson is single bound with no headstock binding)
Gold hardware (Pearly Gates, Tonepros), and black pickguard.

Really a bit of a throwback to the 80s (without the Floyd Rose).

moreles

Reaction score
Love them when others play them. Can't deal with the size and shape myself, not having a roadie or a massive, spacious stage.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar to the Explorer Custom, but instead of black, he's doing the same tangerine that he used on Crotch's Strat style body with a flame top (Thanks to Fatdaddypreacher for providing a piece of maple wide enough!)
Double bound, block inlays, and bound headstock (Gibson is single bound with no headstock binding)
Gold hardware (Pearly Gates, Tonepros), and black pickguard.
Wow, that sounds like a “treat yourself” guitar! Fully-specified. You must be counting the days …

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like a “treat yourself” guitar! Fully-specified. You must be counting the days …
That's how every DSG build is.
Cherryburst got a Michael Schenker Flying-V. Black and white alternate paint, with contrasting binding.

Here's the "Crotchcaster" that is the color inspiration for my Explorer... Now picture this as an Explorer with block inlays and black pickguard...

20191028-190124.jpg

Latest Threads