Gibson Explorers. What do you think of them?

LPMAN91

Reaction score
I’ve recently been looking for one and a couple are for sale locally and I’m curious about them. I’ve only played a couple of them in the past and I remember liking them. I own a Les Paul and have owned other Gibsons including a couple of SG’s, a Firebird, and a Flying V. If I pull the trigger on one what I can expect to similar or different from a Les Paul and have any of you owned one? If so what did you think of it.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 1990, 1991, 2006 in the past.
That’s all I played from 1990-1993 and 2006-2012.

The necks from those years were in between a 50’s and 60’s profile.

The recent ones from 2017 and newer have the wrong necks, slim taper.

LPMAN91

Reaction score
I had a 1990, 1991, 2006 in the past.
That’s all I played from 1990-1993 and 2006-2012.

The necks from those years were in between a 50’s and 60’s profile.

The recent ones from 2017 and newer have the wrong necks, slim taper.
The two that I’m looking at are 2006 in natural with the 496R/500T pickups and the other is a 2012 explorer pro with EMGs but can ask for the originals.

Deftone

Reaction score
I've owned two Gibson Explorers, and one P.O.S. copy.

The 1st Gibson Explorer I bought was an '84, no pickguard. I did not like the tone as they are made of Alder.

The 2nd was a '76 re-issue, all Mahogany. I put an EMG 81/85 set in it and loved the tone. Loved that guitar, all black but I did find it to be somewhat large and unwieldy. I sold it to downsize my collection, as I prefer Les Paul's. but wish I had kept it.

Isn't the Explorer Pro a scaled down version? Like 7/8'ths? I like those. If I was getting another, I would go for that, but I would prefer one with a Floyd and no binding.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 in Antique Natural with BB 2 & 3. It's big and needs a lot of space to play but it's quite comfortable. Plugged into a DSL1HR, it sounds glorious.
It's my first and only pointy guitar

questionman

Reaction score
I picked up a 2002 from a member here awhile back on a whim, had some spare cash and figured why not try one out. I initially thought it was going to be this big awkward thing to play but surprisingly it’s not. Well balanced and doesn’t take any time to adjust to. I think it’s a 490/498 set? Not my favorite tone but I don’t dislike it either. One day I’ll get around to swapping out for something else. Like the guitar enough to want to get another one

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2006 that I had was Natural with the 500T and 496R.

I changed the bridge pup to a Duncan JB.

The Explorer 90 is 90% of full size.
Matthias Jabs played those.

Last edited:

LPMAN91

Reaction score
I've owned two Gibson Explorers, and one P.O.S. copy.

The 1st Gibson Explorer I bought was an '84, no pickguard. I did not like the tone as they are made of Alder.

The 2nd was a '76 re-issue, all Mahogany. I put an EMG 81/85 set in it and loved the tone. Loved that guitar, all black but I did find it to be somewhat large and unwieldy. I sold it to downsize my collection, as I prefer Les Paul's. but wish I had kept it.

Isn't the Explorer Pro a scaled down version? Like 7/8'ths? I like those. If I was getting another, I would go for that, but I would prefer one with a Floyd and no binding.
The Pro has binding on both the body and neck. I personally don’t mind it.

angeldeville

Reaction score
I got a couple, and while I quite like them, I prefer V's for the oddball stuff.

truckermde

Reaction score
Good input here.

Always wanted one, and never took the plunge...

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
When I was deciding to go beyond my LP and SG I was conflicted between a V, Firebird and an Explorer. I ended up with a Firebird because one appeared, and I love that guitar, but I’d still love an Explorer. It’s probably a Hetfield worship thing…

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Always thought they were cool. Played a few in the 90's, liked the overall tone and necks, but always felt like I was strapping on a table.

Deftone

Reaction score
I'm liking this one....

Explorer Pro Flamed Maple Electric Guitar

Lustrous flamed maple with classic rock crunch.

The Gibson Explorer Pro is perfectly attuned to the technical demands and punishing intensity of today's hard rock and heavy metal. Based on Gibson's legendary Explorer, the Explorer Pro is updated with a smaller, lightweight mahogany body and crushingly powerful 496R and 500T humbuckers. The Explorer Pro sports a natural satin finish with a stunning AA flamed-maple top with antique binding. With flashy looks and killer sound, the Explorer Pro is destined to rewrite the rules of rock 'n' roll.

Manufactured in Nashville, TN.
Features
  • BODY
  • Body Species: Mahogany
  • Top Species: AA flamed maple
  • Binding: Antique top binding
  • NECK
  • Species: Mahogany
  • Profile: Explorer
  • FINGERBOARD
  • Species: Rosewood
  • Scale Length: 24-3/4"
  • Number of Frets: 22
  • Nut Width: 1.695"
  • Inlays: Dot
  • Fingerboard Binding: Antique
  • HARDWARE
  • Plating Finish: Chrome
  • Tailpiece: Stopbar
  • Bridge: Tune-o-matic
  • Knobs: Amber top hat
  • Tuners: Grover
  • ELECTRONICS
  • Neck Pickups: 496R Ceramic magnet humbucker
  • Bridge Pickups: 500T Ceramic magnet humbucker
  • Controls: 2 volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch
  • OTHER
  • Strings: Brite Wires .010-.046
  • CASE
  • Case Interior: Dark gray plush
  • Case Exterior: Hardshell with black reptile pattern
  • Case Silkscreen: Silver Gibson USA logo
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-explorer-pro-flamed-maple-electric-guitar

Jock

Reaction score
I have a Bacchus Korina and it is miles better than the Gibson Explorer that I had, I love the thicker neck on the quality Japanese guitar.

mdubya

Reaction score
I've got one from the Original Collection on my short list.

I have considered Korina versions from Japan and Hamer, even Epiphone at the right price.

The current buying climate is terrible, so finding the right guitar, at the right weight and price is not even close to reality.

I am patient. :shock:

Deftone

Reaction score
I made an offer on one on ebay. It's seen better days but for the right price...seller is semi local so I'm trying to make an offer outside of ebay but I dont know how to get through to him w/o tipping them off. Shipping on Explorers is super expensive and what does ebay+PayPal charge...10%?

Latest Threads