Gibson Exclusives Collection - who needs olive drab?

GT40

Reaction score
Me I gues.Not a Les Paul but I like my Olive Drab 335:
U9J9iN5.jpeg

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sweetwater says they dont have them listed in their current 2021 dealer catalog..I was forced to order a black lp 60's on the Gibson website..
That is probably what I should have done, purchased the Ebony LP Std. 60's from Gibson directly. I got a Sweetwater Exclusive when a top that I liked finally popped up, and it was a dud that I ended up sending it back. I picked up an Epiphone Ebony LP Std. 60's from Zzounds and after a neck and bridge adjustment, it was almost perfect.

When you ordered from Gibson Directly, how well was the guitar setup, were the frets level and polished and how well was the nut cut?

Nikki M

Reaction score
That is probably what I should have done, purchased the Ebony LP Std. 60's from Gibson directly. I got a Sweetwater Exclusive when a top that I liked finally popped up, and it was a dud that I ended up sending it back. I picked up an Epiphone Ebony LP Std. 60's from Zzounds and after a neck and bridge adjustment, it was almost perfect.

When you ordered from Gibson Directly, how well was the guitar setup, were the frets level and polished and how well was the nut cut?
Plekd included..nut good..action good..no buzz after I adjusted truss rod a tweek..conditioned my fretboard..quick polish wipe down.. changed strings ..now.. good to go..note* I always let my new guitars sit for a couple of weeks before opening the case..i live in Las Vegas ..very hot and dry..as I'm sure you can imagine..best wishes!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Plekd included..nut good..action good..no buzz after I adjusted truss rod a tweek..conditioned my fretboard..quick polish wipe down.. changed strings ..now.. good to go..note* I always let my new guitars sit for a couple of weeks before opening the case..i live in Las Vegas ..very hot and dry..as I'm sure you can imagine..best wishes!
Yep, I live in Santee California, not as hot as Vegas, but it gets pretty hot. I ordered mine in December, so the weather was a lot nicer. I had the guitar for over a month and it just had some serious issues, like it was never even Plek'd, nut was cut too low on low E, so the Luthier had to set the action high so no fret buzz. I would have had to get a new nut, the fret dressing and possibly a new bridge, so I just sent it back.

Glad yours is now top notch, don't you just love an outstanding Gibson Les Paul. A month ago, I found a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Signature in like new condition that was outstanding, which I really think is the one I have been looking for all these years. Such a joy to play.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Realized I never shared after it showed up:

View attachment 606548

Photos do the color no justice. This thing is absolutely gorgeous in real-life.

I added covers to the pickups but don't have any photos of it with them on.
Those Olive Drab LP Classics are so sweet, congrats. I wish they had just a little bit bigger neck, then I would probably have one.

1allspub

Reaction score
I totally dig the Olive Drab. It reminds me of the color on my old (now sold) FJ Cruiser.

That said, myself being more of a traditionalist when it comes to my personal Gibsons… I won’t be buying one. But I sure like ‘em! :). That LP Classic looks stellar!

Epiphone is offering the color in the Flying V and Explorer though. I could totally see getting one of those just to get the color.

gball

Reaction score
Those Olive Drab LP Classics are so sweet, congrats. I wish they had just a little bit bigger neck, then I would probably have one.

I was slightly worried about that, and was concerned that it would feel like the Slim Taper on a '61 SG, but the neck is definitely more rounded than that and while it is for sure thin it fits the hand really well.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I was slightly worried about that, and was concerned that it would feel like the Slim Taper on a '61 SG, but the neck is definitely more rounded than that and while it is for sure thin it fits the hand really well.
I actually went to GC to compare the Standard 60's neck to the Classic neck, and was kind of going back and forth when I saw the 2014 Les Paul Signature I mentioned above. I thought it was a brand new guitar at first until I noticed the DB Boost in place of a tone knob and new right away it was a 2014 120th Anniversary guitar. I slightly remember the Classic not being overly Slim and not a big difference between the new LP 60's and the new LP Classic. But after seeing the price on the 2014 which at first I thought it was a Classic in mint condition, I grabbed it, played it and then purchased it. I forgot all about why I went to GC to begin with. Haha I of course thought it was an LP Classic, but the neck did not feel really Slim or Thick. Later I found it was a Les Paul Signature with a Rounded C neck profile, which I use to stay away from because I thought they were closer to a Vintage 50's neck. The neck is maybe slightly bigger than my Les Paul Standard 60's neck, but not by much if at all, it feels absolutely perfect to me.

I still want one of those Olive Drab Classic's though, so maybe I need to go to GC again and finish what I started comparing the necks and see if I like the new Classic neck size. I of course need another guitar like I need a whole in my head, but they are so sweet. Ugh! :facepalm:

Latest Threads