Gibson ES335 (2021) - QC issues?

triodium

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and I bought a new Gibson ES335 (2021 model) which at first looked perfectly although by looking at it I found a number of things that I'm not sure if those are "part of the magic" or may be it is worth to claim a replacement/reimbursement:
  1. Rough fingerboard that seems to be sanded with a thick grit. I've heard about this thing on several threads and videos and seems that it can be fixed by using 0000 steel wool or a very thin grit (attached pics of this)
  2. Bad painting on the neck in the upper part of the joint with the body
  3. Some minor things that I've noticed like small level difference between the neck and the binding
Aside of that, the guitar sounds awesome and all the rest is perfectly fine.
What do you thing guys? should I request a replacement?

TheWelder

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I'll preface this by saying when it comes to these QC threads, I usually fall on the side of 'if it plays well, keep and and don't worry about it.' However, that board does look pretty rough, and the area near the neck joint is poorly finished. If this were a LP Tribute or Jr, I'd maybe let that go...but for the money they ask for the 335s I'd ask for a replacement, personally.

triodium

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I'll preface this by saying when it comes to these QC threads, I usually fall on the side of 'if it plays well, keep and and don't worry about it.' However, that board does look pretty rough, and the area near the neck joint is poorly finished. If this were a LP Tribute or Jr, I'd maybe let that go...but for the money they ask for the 335s I'd ask for a replacement, personally.
Thanks for your feedback. I have the exact same opinion... if this were an epiphone or a lower tier gibson model, then, ok... but $3K for this? are you kidding...

At the end I could manage to request a replacement so, let's see what gibson will have for me now... (hopefully not another disappointment)

TheWelder

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. I have the exact same opinion... if this were an epiphone or a lower tier gibson model, then, ok... but $3K for this? are you kidding...

At the end I could manage to request a replacement so, let's see what gibson will have for me now... (hopefully not another disappointment)
Hope the next one works out better for you. Keep us posted.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me,... but are those frets tiny?

Fretboard is crap.....take it back.

Tiny frets and a rough board not a good mix.

Saiko

Reaction score
I am in concurrence here... unacceptable for the price of a 335... send it back.

Latest Threads