gibson es-335 vs lucille

LesP

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm really keen to get a 335 this christmas after years of thought. My two local guitar stores have the two gutiars that I always wanted but could never decide between. A black gibson 2010 es-335 plain wood in ebony and a black 1994 gibson lucille in very good condition with just a few small marks here and there. Can't come even close to a decision.

I've played them both and love them both. They seem very similar. The lucille is perhaps very very very slightly sweeter/bluesier and less twangy/woody/raw. Then again it could just be the different amps.

Anyone have any advice? Anyone owned both?

idlewild south

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Lucille is far easier to mod with the backplate access and the pups/ebony board yields a sharper attack.Loud volume control is easier with Lucille due to no f holes.Lucille for me.

Axis39

Reaction score
Having owned a vintage ES-340.... I'd go Lucille too.

But I'm a bluesier kinda guy anyway.

LesP

Reaction score
thats interesting, i went and played them both again today and am still torn between them...

idlewild south

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
but they're out of my price range sadly.

The tone description made no sense to me.

"The lucille is perhaps very very very slightly sweeter/bluesier and less twangy/woody/raw."

And always A/B through the same amp.Then move to the next amp.

Blues Rocker

Reaction score
When you close your eyes, which one has the better tone? Which one has better playability? Color comes dead last after tone a playability.

loneguitar

Reaction score
I have to say I've not seen or heard a sweeter or more bluesy sounding guitar than my '91 ES 335, it is a bitch to work on though. You can get a 20-25 yr old 335 for under 2K you just have to be patient.

Latest Threads