Gibson ES-335 questions

stephen78

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Before I get into this, I just want to say the Gibson ES-335 models are extremely confusing!

Now onto the good stuff. I'm trying to decide between three models (I'm sticking with the Memphis models because I can't afford the Nashvilles...oh and must be cherry!):

-Gibson ES-335 Dot Plain-top. The only model I've tried out so far. Sounds great with the 57 classics: Gibson ES-335 Dot Plain-top Electric Gtr w/ Gloss Finish | Musician's Friend

-Gibson Custom 50th Anniversary 1963 ES-335 Historic. Has Burstbuckers 1 and 2. Block inlays are awesome! Still need to try it out if possible: Gibson Custom 50th Anniversary 1963 ES-335 Historic Electric Guitar Cherry | Musician's Friend

-Gibson 1963 ES-335TD Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar. Very confused by this. Looks to be new for this year. Has MHS unpotted pickups: Gibson 1963 ES-335TD Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

So I'm not confused about the plaintop dot model. Tried it out and it is great. But what are the differences between the two block inlay models? Are the necks the same? I really gotta find a shop that carries both so I can hopefully try before I buy...

...and has anyone tried these new MHS unpotted humbuckers from Gibson? How do they sound? They seem interesting...Alnico III Neck, Alnico II Bridge. I read the neck is slightly hotter than the bridge as well. Do they sound like the new Custombuckers or lean more towards the Burstbucker sound? I know I shouldn't be too hung up on pickups cuz they can be swapped...but not really looking to play the pickup game with this guitar. Hopefully I would just leave it as is.

Bah...maybe I should just stick with the cheaper dot gloss model and call it a day since I tried it out and liked it a lot...but man those other models seem sweet too! :hmm:

Thanks for any ES-335 advice!

tzd

Reaction score
I'll stick with the original look with dot inlays. Never found the fancier ones to be attractive.

Actinic

Reaction score
Get the 50th anniversary model, since that will not be made next year. Do not worry about burstbuckers, custombuckers, MHS buckers, and 57 classics. You have to trust that Gibson placed the best pickups into the guitar, for that particular construction. The company is firing on all cylinders with the 335. The 57 classics will have the cleanest tones, pure C&W and folk chords. Burstbuckers are fine for blues and heavy rock. CB's are a little more refined at the top. I hope the MHS pickups sound great too, since I have a guitar on order with those. Players in the here and now should be happy as pigs in a corn silo to be able to buy so many wonderful semi-hollowbody Gibsons in 2014.

kakao

Reaction score
57 Classics are the best Gibson pups for this guitar.

Does 335 dot looks too plain and simple to you??

You may go with more luxurious models such as 347 or 355 for the same money.

stephen78

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far guys, I appreciate it.

I think the dot has a very nice classic look. I've been going back and forth on what I like better...dot or block. But I guess in the end it depends on what plays the nicest. I probably won't be disappointed with either choice.

kakao

Reaction score
You can't go wrong either way.

Play a few, and see for yourself what suits you the best.

All the best!

mrfett

Gibson AF
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'll have to play those new pickups to know if you like them, but generally if you're happy with the regular model I say go with that one. Gibson likes to charge a premium for thicker necks on these models, so they usually bundle a thicker neck in with other historical features that the ES-335 guys like, but if you are looking for a good playing guitar and found one that works for you, I say go for it.

There are all sorts of small details that you could get caught up in, but in the end they won't make a 2014 guitar into a 1963 guitar no matter how much goop they coat the screws with.

I almost bought a 63 Anniversary, it had a nice thick neck and Burstbuckers, but I actually wasn't thrilled with the unpotted Burstbuckers. I prefer 57 Classics. I like the small blocks though!

I wouldn't worry too much about which guitars are limited and all that crap. It seems every guitar Gibson makes now is a "limited" edition. I don't think it affects resale value much when every guitar is supposedly 1/100.

Marshallow

Reaction score
Hide glue and matched 550k pots in the 2014s. That counts. The neck on my new block 335 Cherry feels great. Not skinny, quite wide fretboard, no shoulders, really easy to solo on.

Latest Threads